List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

Over the next 3 weeks, I will be re-starting my annual swimming programme to remove some of the excess girth gained over winter while grazing in a good paddock - see you back on the 20th November.

Until then, adios

Seeya in a couple days kent 🙋‍♂️

Jagga Smith, would be the player from that list, that I would most want for our midfield balance.

Smith is very much in the Josh Kelly likeness, very good skills but also very high footy IQ, Smith IMO sees the game open up before him as well as any kid I have seen for quite some time.
Yeah, Smith looks really impressive and would be my early selection for our first rounder next year.
But definitely not the certainty that Reid was this time last year.
Jagga Smith (5 of 6).jpg Jagga Smith (1 of 6).jpg
Jagga Smith (3 of 6).jpg Jagga Smith (2 of 6).jpg
Jagga Smith (6 of 6).jpg Jagga Smith (4 of 6).jpg

Reid at Perth airport in 3 weeks time going to be crazy.

France Paparazzi GIF by TIFF

He might do a Chesser. 🤠

Future 1 picks, Future 2.
Gambling. Be very careful.
Recall this time last year year draft druids lamenting that we wouldn't have access to the best prospect/potentially generational in 23 draft
aka Harley. Cos, well, WCE will be better in 23. We finished where we did & have him right here in our hand.
Reid has lived up to the hype from 2022 and even exceeded it, playing against men with hangers and 'don't argues' and clearances
Hope ROB plays a patient hand... don't care for perceived pressure for quick list fixes/rebuilds, because it's unknown
Godfather/grandfather:drunk: deals on future speculation GTFO.
Prefer patience and do it right for the ultimate. (Premierships).
Reid, known quantity...take it all day long
*Reid>McKercher and a fella that sees himself midfield but probably a back man.
Not a knock on Curtin, would love him at WCE.
Don't like the idea of hurrying up a rebuild for little sugar hits.... be clinical, do it right.
Reid is the logical piece to what is building at our club.
Noah 'Ned" long has already cleared out the spare room
JTR

As entertaining as it might be to watch the discontent of Lyon and co at the prospect of us drafting Reid might be at this moment, once we draft him (if we keep the pick) our mirth will turn to frustration. Because the Victorians will not stop coming at him. They will consider it to be an intolerable abomination that must be corrected immediately and they will be in his ear and in the ear of his family and people close to him on a weekly basis slagging us off and convincing him that it is not in his interests to stay here. And given we will likely be in the bottom 4 for a few years to come (with a likely change of coach and CEO over the next couple of years to boot) that will reduce our ability to sell our club to him and get him to enjoy being here.

I am not saying don't draft him because of it (if we do end up keeping the pick). Just saying that that attitude and mentality that you see on Lyon's face and hear in his voice regarding Reid, that is shared across the whole AFL industry in Victoria, is going to go from being an object of mirth for us to a serious and chronic obstacle that we have to deal with once we draft him.

My feelings exactly and that’s just the Vics trying to get him home. How about when he has some dips in form?

As good as what he might be, is it worth the constant scrutiny and torture that’s inevitably going to come with it?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

My feelings exactly and that’s just the Vics trying to get him home. How about when he has some dips in form?

As good as what he might be, is it worth the constant scrutiny and torture that’s inevitably going to come with it?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Same thing happened with Judd, and it turned out rather well for us

Let’s talk about a quick rebuild hey.

Yours has been going since 2016.

With your top picks you have drafted, and other successful picks.

2016: Jye Simpkin: Mid Forward.
2016: Cam Zurhaar: Medium Forward.
2016: Nick Larkey: Key Forward.

2017 LDU: Inside Mid.

2018 TT: Outside Mid.
2018 Curtis Taylor: Mid Forward.
2018 Bailey Scott: Inside Mid.

2019 nothing

2020 Will Powell: Inside Mid.
2020 Tom Phillips: Mid Forward.

2021 Pick 1 JHF: Mid Forward.
2021 Josh Goater: Half Forward.
2021 Paul Curtis: Medium Forward.

2022 Harry Sheezel: Half Forward.
2022 George Wardlaw: Inside Mid.
2022 Brayden George. Mid Forward.

You keep using all your top picks on the same 3 positions. And most of your later successful picks play the same positions as well.

So 2023 what type of players are North linked to.

Trading up for a Mid Forward. Or standing pat and drafting another inside mid and half forward.

About to be 8 years in to a rebuild, and your team keeps drafting the same ****ing positions and going nowhere.

Talk about the definition of insanity. Drafting the same positions over and over again, expecting a different result.

Perfect recipe for a quick rebuild. Not. 🙄

You make some valid points that we north supporters (yes all 3 of us hur dur) know all too well. Something that Rawlings himself has acknowledged recently.

Couple of points though

During that period of time weve brought in the following players

Corr via feee agency as a KPD
Logue via trade as a KPD
CCJ via trade as a KPF/ruck
Charlie Comben drafted in 2019 as a KPF/ruck
Kallan Dawson mid season draft as a KPD
Jacob Edwards midseason draft as a KPF/ruc

In addition, norths first 3 picks across 2014 and 2015 were KPP in Durdin, Neilson, and McKay.

So which players would you have had north draft over the time you referenced?

North finished 9th with 12 wins in 2018. If we had have truly been rebuilding and finished down the bottom we could have had a king or lukoscious. In 2019 we finished 12th with 10 wins. We drafted Comben in the 30’s as our first pick.

So given the abundance of KPP drafted in 2014-2019 (Durdin, Neilson, McKay, Larkey, Xerri, Comben) I’ll assume you are more referencing 2020 onwards.

The “OMG they took the best mid in the draft Will Phillips in a Covid year”. So we could have taken DGB or Logan McDonald. One is barely an afl player, and McDonald would simply be at either the eagles or dockers as we speak. Meanwhile phillips got Brownlow vote in his last game, is a top 5 ranked player from that draft according to champion data and is about 70% of maximum afl fitness levels. Nik cox and Zach Reid were also available sight unseen in the top 10, neither of which provide any confidence of ever being afl KPP’s.

North took Tom Powell at 13, from our trade with Melbourne. I can’t see a KPP drafted after him until into the 30’s.

2021 and 2022 have seen 4 of top 5 picks all getting rising star noms and it could easily have been 5/5. But yes, none of the players picked in those two drafts were KPP’s which adds a lack of balance to the list.

If we don’t take a KPP with any of our 5 picks this year I’ll be very surprised. Hopefully we can trade for KP talent in the coming years, ideally more successfully than we did with CCJ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, Smith looks really impressive and would be my early selection for our first rounder next year.
But definitely not the certainty that Reid was this time last year.
View attachment 1842139View attachment 1842140
View attachment 1842141View attachment 1842142
View attachment 1842143View attachment 1842144
It's interesting that of the top 5 prospects next year 4 of them are 180-181cm. Only one is the big bodied 192cm.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

You make some valid points that we north supporters (yes all 3 of us hur dur) know all too well. Something that Rawlings himself has acknowledged recently.

Couple of points though

Logue via trade as a KPD

In addition, norths first 3 picks across 2014 and 2015 were KPP in Durdin, Neilson, and McKay.

North finished 9th with 12 wins in 2018. If we had have truly been rebuilding and finished down the bottom we could have had a king or lukoscious. In 2019 we finished 12th with 10 wins. We drafted Comben in the 30’s as our first pick.

So given the abundance of KPP drafted in 2014-2019 (Durdin, Neilson, McKay, Larkey, Xerri, Comben) I’ll assume you are more referencing 2020 onwards.

The “OMG they took the best mid in the draft Will Phillips in a Covid year”. So we could have taken DGB or Logan McDonald. One is barely an afl player, and McDonald would simply be at either the eagles or dockers as we speak. Meanwhile phillips got Brownlow vote in his last game, is a top 5 ranked player from that draft according to champion data and is about 70% of maximum afl fitness levels. Nik cox and Zach Reid were also available sight unseen in the top 10, neither of which provide any confidence of ever being afl KPP’s.

North took Tom Powell at 13, from our trade with Melbourne. I can’t see a KPP drafted after him until into the 30’s.

2021 and 2022 have seen 4 of top 5 picks all getting rising star noms and it could easily have been 5/5. But yes, none of the players picked in those two drafts were KPP’s which adds a lack of balance to the list.

If we don’t take a KPP with any of our 5 picks this year I’ll be very surprised. Hopefully we can trade for KP talent in the coming years, ideally more successfully than we did with CCJ.
All that justifying and yet it is clear Norf botched their rebuild.

Take off those blinkers.

Couple of points though

Logue via trade as a KPD

Apparently, the Dude does not abide.

the big lebowski GIF

Let's end the night on a good day shall we

Wtf Gossage is tripling down. Suprised nobody attached that tweet.

We don't really get Gossage over here... is he a bit of a dork?

Couple of points though

Logue via trade as a KPD

Phillips > McDonald is the real mistake. No disrespect to WiFi but he's a second tier midfielder and not a top 20 player. Never was going to be. However he's a leader that you guys wanted for whatever that's worth.

Cox isn't a KPP, Essendon were stupid there😂 Reid should be decent but can't get on the park which is no one's fault.

Your recruiters may not rate the talls at your picks- so move up to grab one you think is good. You need min 5 KPP in your team and you lucked out with Larkey 7 years ago.
Your recruitment strategy is to only pick 199cm+ players and hope for the best rather than draft one top talent.

That's just dumb drafting and the same mistake that GWS made, and also the reverse of WCE where we kept going tall .

Of note and some surprises:
8-Leake (not for us but very high)
9-Curtin (GWS who don’t need a KPD)
13-Windsor
15-Green (not for us but very high)
19-Murphy
21-Edwards
25-Schoenmaker
26-DeMattia

It’s not Twomey but anyone got some imaginative trades if this is how it falls?
Leake at 8???
Curtin is around about #15 in a regular draft so I wouldn't bother trading an equal pick(#10 2024) for a slight reach.

There will be a few guys in the 20s that come good but nothing that you can reliably predict.

I'm firmly in the keep future picks intact camp or even trade 23 for a future pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back