List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

Good key forwards are very hard to find -we have a few options but most will not make it. Its a tough position.
Yeah this is why I think it makes sense to draft a few extra key forwards. I think out of Archer Reid, Maric and JWilliams we are certain to get a least one AFL quality key forward.

Looking forward to the footage of this year's 'war room' to be released next year which shows our shock, awe and amazement that all of our second night picks were available when it was our turn. Curious to see how much mayo Simmo was putting on that. I doubt there's a repeat of the Long situation being rated in the 20s and grabbing him late.
To be fair our first pick was the first pick of the night and we traded up for Hall. So for those two we are guaranteed to be the picks we wanted lol.

What's the knock on hall? His highlights are impressive, hard at it tough nut that can find the ball and goals. Game translating at least to WAFL level at his age also impressive.

I guess kicking could be better, decision making/composure under pressure could be improved?

But still surprised he slipped so far

Looking forward to the footage of this year's 'war room' to be released next year which shows our shock, awe and amazement that all of our second night picks were available when it was our turn. Curious to see how much mayo Simmo was putting on that. I doubt there's a repeat of the Long situation being rated in the 20s and grabbing him late.
Might be surprised.

We were on the phone quick to get Hall & Johnston the pick was in within 45 seconds. Alot of teams took 3-4 minutes.

Definitely knew who we wanted

Not condoning his behaviour but having structure and access to professional services should help him. He'll be on a very short leash I imagine.
Not commenting on this individual but the immense support and structure that AFL clubs provide shows it is possible to turn around some pretty hard cases.
And off topic: makes me think that for many/most guys now in prison society would get a better payoff with intense support rather than incarceration which can teach or reinforce bad behaviours.
(PS: having worked in the system I also know there are some totally irredeemable a/holes.)

Still pretty disappointed to miss Curtin. Feel as though he was a great fit for us as a distributor off halfback that can have stints in the middle. Definitely has more Dawson about him than Brander imo. Surprised Melbourne didn’t jump at the F1 if we apparently offered it to everyone, thought they’d be all over it with some gun Metro mids available next year

What I believe happened is we rated all four of our picks in the top 5, so getting them all was a great result. Shame the other guy in our top 5 was gone and we had to pass.

Callum Twomey

@CalTwomey
·
2m

Rookie draft up at 3pm today. Four players have been pre-listed by clubs under Academy Category B rookies - they will join officially if they are not picked in pre-season draft before: - Indhi Kirk (Sydney) - Coen Livingstone (WCE) - Bruce Reville (Bris) - Nathan Wardius (GWS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prospects left I have interest in: -

Koen Sanchez - skill and on field is great but knock has been ability to stay on the park. It would be OK as a rookie to see if he can get his body right as it is only a 1 year commitment

Kade de la Rue - midfield forward with great hands however his last 2 years have been impacted by injury but has the skills

Will Patton - defender in the mould of Hurn but not as long a kick but very good decision maker and accurate.

Callum Twomey
@CalTwomey
·
2m

Rookie draft up at 3pm today. Four players have been pre-listed by clubs under Academy Category B rookies - they will join officially if they are not picked in pre-season draft before: - Indhi Kirk (Sydney) - Coen Livingstone (WCE) - Bruce Reville (Bris) - Nathan Wardius (GWS
Good, that means we still have our one live pick in the rookie draft.

Prospects left I have interest in: -

Koen Sanchez - skill and on field is great but knock has been ability to stay on the park. It would be OK as a rookie to see if he can get his body right as it is only a 1 year commitment

Kade de la Rue - midfield forward with great hands however his last 2 years have been impacted by injury but has the skills

Will Patton - defender in the mould of Hurn but not as long a kick but very good decision maker and accurate.

Dela rue and Patton for me.

Patton for defence and leadership. Could be a steal. And a bargaining chip for the Curtin request in 3 yrs

Dela rue is one of the youngest in the draft crop. Still a baby. Some of his peers almost 12 month older. Huge upside.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Callum Twomey

@CalTwomey
·
2m

For this to happen we must have upgraded Dewar or Baker

Or there’s a loophole nobody has heard of that allows you to have 3 Cat B rookies provided your overall list size isn’t more than 44

This just makes the recruitment of A Reid more puzzling than it was already as Livingstone is another forward/ruck

Not saying they’re the same type of player, but the Reid selection feels similar to the Brander pick in that we didn’t expect him to still be on the board so took him based on talent over needs. That then threw our strategy out

Maybe we were thinking of Hall earlier, maybe even trading down a little from 30, but took A Reid not expecting him to be there

Then got spooked or heard Essendon were after Hall so traded up to secure him. We clearly rated Hall so makes sense we might have taken him with our 2nd pick if Reid wasn’t there

It all has me with the lingering feeling that we somehow could have done better and the Reid selection is the key to that opinion. Not that he’s a bad player as such, but more that we’ve failed to address other list needs that were arguably more pressing

I don't get why we would trade 2 similar picks for 1.
We must have been very desperate.
Heard that Richmond said to us they were going to take hall unless we did the trade with them .

They did the same with freo and Simpson.

Then they took who they were probably taking all along in mcauliffe who was a reach at 40 so they knew he was available.

Richmond reached last year with Kaleb Smith too .

For this to happen we must have upgraded Dewar or Baker

Or there’s a loophole nobody has heard of that allows you to have 3 Cat B rookies provided your overall list size isn’t more than 44

This just makes the recruitment of A Reid more puzzling than it was already as Livingstone is another forward/ruck

Not saying they’re the same type of player, but the Reid selection feels similar in that we didn’t expect him to still be on the board so took him based on talent over needs. That then threw our strategy out

Maybe we were thinking of Hall earlier, maybe even trading down a little from 30, but took A Reid not expecting him to be there

Then got spooked or heard Essendon were after Hall so traded up to secure him. We clearly rated Hall so makes sense we might have taken him with our 2nd pick if Reid wasn’t there

It all has me with the lingering feeling that we somehow could have done better and the Reid selection is the key to that opinion. Not that he’s a bad player as such, but more that we’ve failed to address other list needs that were arguably more pressing

I’m guessing one got upgraded to a normal rookie spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back