List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

This is spot on mate. I really hope the club believes we’ve got a good shot at Busslinger and/or Taylor which would explain leaving ZZ and Murphy on the board. I think another 2 years drafting for need and getting rid of the dead wood and in 2026 we’re right up there in the finals mix with the best young list in the AFL set for multiple tilts at the flag. If we can make the next two years look something like this I’ll be absolutely stoked (don’t pay too much attention who’s inside/outside etc that’s just a guide). Obviously scope for variation if good performances if the younger guys come on or the older blokes are cooked.

2024: 1R elite speed and disposal outside mid, trade 2R For Busslinger, trade/delist blokes in red for as many points as possible to go with our 4R to match a bid for Champion (hopefully NGA rules are changed) and bring in Baker via FA.

2025: Sam Taylor via FA then draft for need.
View attachment 1860045
I reckon Hewett is 100% an inside mid. I also think Reid likely ends up as mostly an inside mid.

It seems like North sometimes drink their own bathwater and believe they are a genuine key AFL club.

The fact is that they are no. 1 on the chopping block due to being the most insignificant of Melbourne clubs. The fact they don't realise this and actually didn't go harder to get Reid for the very reason you said is shambolic. Now they have loaded up with a stack of kids, but not sure how they pay for all of them in 3 o4 4 years. Would have been better rationalising the numbers for salary cap purposes, as it stands clubs are going to go hard and raid them when the squeeze comes on and players will be all to happy to jump to a Carlton/Collingwood etc., and play in big games in front of big crowds.
i have to laugh when certain North's supporters referred to us as a little club.They also have a bee in a bonnett over the priority picks we got and how we got judd and shuey.It will be interesting to see with all their free gifts if they win a flag.

Culley was in cracking form before he did his knee, won a rising star nom in round 6 IIR.

Somewhat agree RE Petch but his form in the midfield definitely warranted an extension. Looking back I think developing him as a forward was a mistake, one I think has now been identified.

Also interesting that you're worried about Culley's lack of pace but also don't rate our fastest player.
I dont consider speed to be the only factor in a player abilities haha. Petch only has speed, he doesnt even have the footy IQ to even use it (A bit harsh but I've seen enough to come to that conclusion).

I like a lot of what Culley brings to the table and it's not like he is average for speed, he's certainly below average.

A bit of a tangent but there are two players who seem to have a lot of backing of this forum (or more than i'd expect) in Culley and Petrucelle.

I'll admit Petch surprised me with some of his midfield moments this year, but largely I see him as a clogger with potential trade value.
I'm not as critical on Culley as he very young but I'm concerned whether his noticeable lack of pace will prevent him from making it.

If we're going to start targeting opposition players were going to need draft capital to play with and Im looking at potential casualties.

Can't put my finger on it but get the feeling Baz might depart. I would really hope not after last season but then I don't know if he's ever going to turn it on as a KPF and we just grabbed Flynn for ruck duties with Jamo and Barnett in the sheds plus now Reid and Livo both 200+.

He should have currency if he wants to move on and we've been able to extract value before by developing and then selling talls.

I never said trade F1 for Curtain or Caddy.

I have said split it. That means get multiple picks for it.

If you read ITK posters here, they have clearly said WC offered their F1 for both Curtin or Caddy.

That’s WC recruiting team believing that was a worthwhile trade. Not me or any other random online, but the actual people running your club.
My point was. So not split without being certain of the talent you’ll actually get. You suggested do it without knowing who you’d get.

Can't put my finger on it but get the feeling Baz might depart. I would really hope not after last season but then I don't know if he's ever going to turn it on as a KPF and we just grabbed Flynn for ruck duties with Jamo and Barnett in the sheds plus now Reid and Livo both 200+.

He should have currency if he wants to move on and we've been able to extract value before by developing and then selling talls.
He certainly is an interesting one. Not sure if he'll ever be able to make it as a predominant forward but I loved what he offered around the ground last year when on the ball.

But this was what I was getting at, throwing up names which could net some value. I think he is a good suggestion.

Culley was in cracking form before he did his knee, won a rising star nom in round 6 IIR.

Somewhat agree RE Petch but his form in the midfield definitely warranted an extension. Looking back I think developing him as a forward was a mistake, one I think has now been identified.

Also interesting that you're worried about Culley's lack of pace but also don't rate our fastest player.
Looking back Culley was ok. He had one great game, the others he showed intent but he wasn’t prolific or overly impactful. Having said that that it was a pretty good effort considering he was cooking chicken and chip packs a week or two previously

I dont consider speed to be the only factor in a player abilities haha. Petch only has speed, he doesnt even have the footy IQ to even use it (A bit harsh but I've seen enough to come to that conclusion).

I like a lot of what Culley brings to the table and it's not like he is average for speed, he's certainly below average.
Has petrucelle been tried at half back? It could bring him into the game a fair bit and his line breaking/closing speed would be worth trialling there. Could be a wish version of Wojcinski at the least.

Just because it's in the rules doesn't make it fair.

Hence all the discussion about changing those rules that's cropped up after the draft.
What’s happening on the Gold Coast in terms of academy development is exactly what the intended aim of the academy’s is all about.

People losing their sh!t over GC’s academy haul, but there’s diddly squat about the poaching of players from the Northern clubs.

Why is that?

Because it benefits the other 14 teams.

Has petrucelle been tried at half back? It could bring him into the game a fair bit and his line breaking/closing speed would be worth trialling there. Could be a wish version of Wojcinski at the least.

Yeah he had stints there this year and went well I thought. There will definitely be others that disagree though

No he hasn't. I'm all for experimenting, and I hope it works out.

Edit: Apparently he has, I wasn't aware of this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s happening on the Gold Coast in terms of academy development is exactly what the intended aim of the academy’s is all about.

People losing their sh!t over GC’s academy haul, but there’s diddly squat about the poaching of players from the Northern clubs.

Why is that?

Give it a *ing break toon, poaching of other Clubs players, only being one way traffic, thats a bit rich.

1. Daniher
  2. Ah Chee
  3. Dunkley
  4. Doedoo
  5. Neale
  6. McCarthy
  7. Cameron
  8. Fort

Thats a list of players that your own Club has poached.

I think you'll find it benefits some teams a lot more than others.

No one in here has ever referred to GC or GWS as Vic feeder clubs before.

Why is that?

Poaching from the Northern clubs? Are they the only teams who lose players? Reckon Swans and Lions attract more players then they lose.

Can't think of a single GCS player coming to the Eagles. Rosa went from the Eagles to the Suns but can't think of any the other way round.

We got a delisted Giles and Langdon from GWS but hardly a huge benefit. Think Swans and Lions have benefited from it more then we have.

If Lions and Swans lose their academy access and GCS start rising above the Lions on the ladder while maintaining access to their academy you may feel different about the topic. Especially if they start making Grand Finals while the Lions sit at the bottom.
Swap hats for a bit and you might see where we are coming from.

Do all recruits do the 2km time trial together? Or does the new recruits skip it due to them arriving after the squad already completed it

Just because it's in the rules doesn't make it fair.

Hence all the discussion about changing those rules that's cropped up after the draft.
ASA’s (or whatever they are called) are unfair, yet the big Melbourne clubs and probably West Coast, benefit from them greatly.

Next to no chance of any player in a Northern state getting one of any significance.

But they are in the rules.

From the expansion clubs, you mean; let's not pretend Sydney and Brisbane are victims when it comes to trades.

And the reason Gold Coast in particular has had so much trouble is because they were a garbage sporting organisation, which they finally seem to have turned around and - lo and behold - they're not seeing a mass exodus every year anymore.

GWS just had way too many talented players to fit under the salary cap since inception and have kept getting back high draft picks for them, starting the cycle over again.

ASA’s (or whatever they are called) are unfair, yet the big Melbourne clubs and probably West Coast, benefit from them greatly.

Next to no chance of any player in a Northern state getting one of any significance.

Source?

Reckon we would have matched St Kilda if we could have, and I daresay we would have taken him (Collard) at 30 if available.

Will be fun to track the careers of Collard and A. Reid.
Ross can be a very polarising character too. Strong chance of coming home I recon.

Put near on free hits Mills, Heeney, Blakey, Gruden, Campbell on the Eagles as well as being able to still draft first round picks and rorting the pick points system and I reckon we would be going pretty well.

Everyone knows it’s a rort. Swans still want more, they won’t to be able to add the NGA players without using picks (points)

Can’t believe a professional sport has this many loopholes.

NGA while required for QLD and NSW teams. The matching has to be sorted and all teams should be able to match after 20. Same goes with father son. If it’s there, can’t be free hits

briztoon probably wouldn't be recommending we split our first rounder for the 3rd time in 4 years if finishing last got you picks 1, 19 and 37, instead of 1, 30 and 53 (I think we traded that last one for Brockman but don't quote me).

Clearly the current system is in a deep hole.

Anyone got a side by side list of academy players drafted with matched bids showing whether they'd be lost to the game if not for the academies? I'd be interested to see how much is a rort vs how much new talent is introduced to the system.
I wouldn’t be recommending splitting your first round pick if West Coast had other means of generating extra first round picks, if it didn’t gut the little mature age talent already on your list, such as letting a player walk for a band 1 compensation pick, or trading a player for multiple first round picks.

So Ablett or Buddy didn't benefit from ASA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back