List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2018/2019 - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tex is a very passionate guy who has had to deal with a great deal of stress and trauma over the years (not to mention the constant maligning and sledging by supporters). He's not a s**t bloke.

Having said that, his days of good footy are clearly past him and I think the end is near. I hope he leaves the Crows and succeeds but I doubt the Pies would be a good fit. The Gold Coast is a nice, quiet getaway where he can just play the best he can and try and build a strong spirit in a struggling club, and play alongside King and Lukosius.

If its Cameron from Sydney then Collingwood have also flagged interest in him sorry i just guessed his name never heard of him before.It was mentioned on SEN this morning.but i will say this again CHARLIE CAMERON'S BROTHER who is a small blistering forward is who we should seriously look at prying out of West Coast,because he can't get a gig there because of the other indigenous lads there.He wont cost much.Played against us not long ago killed us kicked 5 goals against us.If you want a small indigenous forward with footy smarts and is dead eye dick he's the one we could get CHEAP.but pies have to act quickly
A small forward spot at West Coast may have just opened up

I don't really subscribe to the Tex is a flog narrative overall. This bloke was still voted as the AFLs best captain on a couple of occasions if memory serves. Besides, a change of scenery could work wonders, particularly if he wasn't required to take a leadership role.

I agree that he has seemed off since 2017, but I still think there's still a relatively useful player somewhere in there If you could get his head right. Kicked 54 goals just 2 years ago with a hot midfield delivering to him.. Who knows if he'd be able to find that run again, but it's not outside the realm of possibility that a new club could give him the refresh he needs.

Crows just lost their coach, which was reportedly the main thing that would keep Tex in Adelaide. If he was keen to go, I couldn't imagine a club needing to give up a lot for him. For what it's worth, I don't think we have a huge need for him.. our forwardline hums when it's fully fit and firing. But he could offer us a strong target, be an upgrade on Reid and make the difference when it matters most.

I get the feeling the Tex is a flog narrative is a bit of bogan bias. It's more about his appearance and the way he speaks.

And you believed JDG? IMO, that was spin and whilst I’m certain he feels a sense of responsibility to make good on the support he received owing the club is not something I believe when he says it.

I see how it might not sit well with fans, but on the inside it would be viewed very differently. What would you have done supported him or not? If you did support him would you feel he was indebted to you? I highly doubt that so the belief that he may feel that way is foreign to me.

Again I can see that outlook from fans only because it’s not a professional way of approaching things and fans don’t tend to view things in the same light or have the same understanding. As with JDG there’s likely a sense of compassion toward all the club has done for him, but indebtedness, absolutely not, IMO.
Maybe compassion is a better word. All im saying is, when a club looks out for you, it is not outlandish to me to think that they feel ‘something’ that would make them want to stay.

I get the feeling the Tex is a flog narrative is a bit of bogan bias. It's more about his appearance and the way he speaks.

Nah he's got a nasty little edge to him that I just don't like. Arrogant as hell as well up until this year when he appeared to start falling apart at the seams.

But they have a great offer- 3 Range Rovers, a chalet in MT.Bulla and all the snow skiing equipment to go with it.

I don't think the high tea-quaffing elite actually invite the players up to the Alps mid-season - they might throw them a cheap summer rental every now and then maybe...

Nah he's got a nasty little edge to him that I just don't like. Arrogant as hell as well up until this year when he appeared to start falling apart at the seams.

So for you its how he conducts himself onfield? I'm not sure that translates to a bad locker room influence (not sure you said that, but the crux of the broader discussion).

If Jamie joins Melbourne, he can look forward to:

- playing in front of 30k crowds at the MCG
- being coached by Simon Goodwin
- being fed the ball by elite users like Viney and Brayshaw
- not playing finals
- playing for a club run by Gary Pert
- playing for fair weather supporters who disappear when the going gets tough
Will actually have a big impact on his decision imo.

Will actually have a big impact on his decision imo.

Couldn’t agree more! You simply cannot overlook how much of an influence he was having on the clubs performance. We’re 33-16 since he departed and the arse has fallen out of the Dees since he came on board. He’s a cancer, IMO.

I think Jamie Elliott should look at Dale Thomas as the best example of what leaving Collingwood can do for a career.

Daisy had similar chronic injury concerns. The lure of the longer deal and more money was tempting. The Magpies weren't willing to offer a long term deal given his injury issues. So Daisy went for the security.

The problem is that when you go to a cellar-dweller club, without the opportunities that Collingwood can provide, it impacts your overall profile. Reduced exposure because you aren't playing big time games, which means less marketing opportunities and sponsors etc. You also go from being a much loved to much hated player overnight.

I don't think we are going to up the length of our offer...but if he has a good finals then we might increase the amount somewhat. But there's no way given his PARS defect issues and subsequent hammy problems, that we'd offer him a long term deal. It's just far too risky for a guy who I think will always be a 12-15 game a year player who will need to be constantly managed.

Let's hope Jamie makes the right choice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Jamie Elliott should look at Dale Thomas as the best example of what leaving Collingwood can do for a career.

Daisy had similar chronic injury concerns. The lure of the longer deal and more money was tempting. The Magpies weren't willing to offer a long term deal given his injury issues. So Daisy went for the security.

The problem is that when you go to a cellar-dweller club, without the opportunities that Collingwood can provide, it impacts your overall profile. Reduced exposure because you aren't playing big time games, which means less marketing opportunities and sponsors etc. You also go from being a much loved to much hated player overnight.

I don't think we are going to up the length of our offer...but if he has a good finals then we might increase the amount somewhat. But there's no way given his PARS defect issues and subsequent hammy problems, that we'd offer him a long term deal. It's just far too risky for a guy who I think will always be a 12-15 game a year player who will need to be constantly managed.

To interject I think Daisy has done alright! He got more money at Carlton than he’d ever have made at Collingwood because he probably would have been done 2 years ago at Collingwood not to mention that he had a media career underway one week into retirement.

Yes he perhaps missed out on some on-field success (not much TBH given we played 4 finals between him leaving and his final match), but the only adverse effect of the move, IMO, was the hate he received from Collingwood fans.

Great post. Hopefully Jamie is happy to stay at the length and price we are offering, but if a club comes to him with a big 5 year deal I could understand him taking a good look at it.

He’s the biggest fake tough guy in the league. Loves pushing and shoving cos the umpires are around the protect him, but when the going actually gets tough, he is nowhere to be seen.

I despise the way he plays and conducts himself on the field. Would take me a very long time to see him in our colours.

I wouldn't begrudge Jamie Elliott if he decides to leave.

All players have a shelf life and his is much shorter than most due to his Pars Defect.

If he can get 3-4 years of guaranteed money at 100-200K more per season than we can offer, he would be crazy not to take it.

ADELAIDE COOL IT ON PIE
Adelaide is yet to register any interest in Collingwood’s Matthew Scharenberg.

The Crows are contemplating a significant rebuild but the Collingwood defender isn’t yet part of those plans.

Scharenberg was linked to a possible move away from the Magpies’ nest, having lost his spot in the qualifying final team.

But the South Australian has no intentions to force his way out of Collingwood in this year’s trade period.

ADELAIDE COOL IT ON PIE

The Crows are contemplating a significant rebuild but the Collingwood defender isn’t yet part of those plans.

Scharenberg was linked to a possible move away from the Magpies’ nest, having lost his spot in the qualifying final team.

But the South Australian has no intentions to force his way out of Collingwood in this year’s trade period.

And we have no intentions to force him out either.
Good news for all

ADELAIDE COOL IT ON PIE

He’ll stay imo.

I must be missing something with this sense of indebtedness? We supported Jamie through a trying period just as any employer would a valued employee. Let’s not kid ourselves though if he were as talented as Ben Crocker with the same injury profile he would no longer be on the bus. His manager sure as s**t will remind him of it too and they’re incentivised to convince him not to think that way.

Whether he stays or not will be fleshed out over the next 6 weeks and if we get the contract offer right I’m certain he’ll stick around. One things for sure it won’t be because Jamie feels indebted to the club for sticking by him!

Sco , are you suggesting that the support, care, compassion, and understanding the club has shown Elliot during these difficult years will have NO impact on his decision?

Last edited:
Sco , are you suggesting that the support, care, compassion, and understanding the club has shown Elliot during these difficult years will have NO impact on his decision?
I cant see how people don’t see this.

This isn’t just a couple of impact injuries. He has had a debilitating, degenerative issue that will effect him for his whole career. The club has shown nothing but faith in him, when i have no doubt some other clubs may have cut their losses early on.

Obviously it depends on the individual personality type, but i can’t see how that doesn’t effect his feelings towards the club at all.

Personally, if it was me, i would be grateful for any club that stuck by me through years of not playing due to injury. Regardless of the fact that if i was Ben Crocker i would’ve been delisted... because well, thats a weird way of looking at it because Jamie is not Ben Crocker im not sure how its even relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back