List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2018/2019 - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So your idea is to get another player in to take what might be his spot and keep him out of the seniors for 5 or so years?

What about we go with our other key talls (including the aging ones) for just one more year then hand over to the likes of Kelly, Keane, Tohill etc

We have two defenders in Moore and Scharenberg (3 ACLs) that have not played a full season in the past 3 years.

The contracts of Dunn and Goldsack, possibly even Reid are up in the air.

I think if Kelly performs at VFL he will be able to get a game even if we pick up another KPP back.

Marcus Adams would have been a good pick up last year, too bad brisbane beat us to it, smart trading in my opinion.

We have two defenders in Moore and Scharenberg (3 ACLs) that have not played a full season in the past 3 years.

I think if Kelly performs at VFL he will be able to get a game even if we pick up another KPP back.

Marcus Adams would have been a good pick up last year, too bad brisbane beat us to it, smart trading in my opinion.

I think we've got more than enough 191-192cm pseudo KPD's already. Getting Roughy was a much better outcome for us.

I think we've got more than enough 191-192cm pseudo KPD's already. Getting Roughy was a much better outcome for us.

Would it be worth going back to the well at the dogs and seeing what Trengrove would cost? Again similar to Roughy, has looked his best playing as a defender yet gets thrown into the ruck at the dogs. Same age as Roughy at 28 too.

Can lightning strike twice?

Would it be worth going back to the well at the dogs and seeing what Trengrove would cost? Again similar to Roughy, has looked his best playing as a defender yet gets thrown into the ruck at the dogs. Same age as Roughy at 28 too.

I like it. Can definitely do a job.

Ben McKay and/or Alex Keith should both be trade targets this trade period.

To be honest I wouldn’t mind Dan Butler either. He has had a down year, but has that elusiveness similar to Breust and would cost a packet of chips.

You quite rightly point out that Moore and Scharenberg have not played a full season in the past 3 years, but then comment that we were beaten to Adams by the Lions, and it was great trading by Brisbane to recruit Marcus Adams.

The most games Adams has played in a season in his 4 completed seasons is 11, being his first. He played 6 last year because of injury and managed 8 this year because of injury, to bring his total of games to 35 out of a possible 92.

We do not need another chronically injured player on our list. I believe that we were lucky not to trade for him.

Ben McKay and/or Alex Keith should both be trade targets this trade period.

To be honest I wouldn’t mind Dan Butler either. He has had a down year, but has that elusiveness similar to Breust and would cost a packet of chips.

Wouldn't actually be averse to taking what we have to the draft rather than engaging in trading at all.

If we are looking at trade options then adding some KPP depth if possible the preferred outcome. A younger type starved of opportunity like McKay or Jarrod Brander on the cheap would be ideal but I doubt they'll come cheap.

In terms of small forward types, I'd prefer we keep our powder dry and give A2B2 another preseason. Come a long way this season and I think he'll surprise in 2020.

You quite rightly point out that Moore and Scharenberg have not played a full season in the past 3 years, but then comment that we were beaten to Adams by the Lions, and it was great trading by Brisbane to recruit Marcus Adams.

The most games Adams has played in a season in his 4 completed seasons is 11, being his first. He played 6 last year because of injury and managed 8 this year because of injury, to bring his total of games to 35 out of a possible 92.

We do not need another chronically injured player on our list. I believe that we were lucky not to trade for him.

Would you be more confident playing moore or adams right now ?

Adams played out the whole game last weekend, and has played the last 8 games for the lions. He's injuries have been mixed, foot, knee ect

Moore played 15 minutes last weekend, has played 2 games of the last 8 (including last weekend). He's consistently had hamstring issues.

Wouldn't mind a quieter and cheaper trade period. Targeting cheap role players who won't break the bank in terms of cost and salary.

Some of the names being floated would come pretty cheap and all play a role:
Trengrove - Similar pick to Roughy last year
McKay - Young KPD, 3rd round pick probably gets it done
Cutler - Out of contract, not sure on the free agency status? But should come pretty cheap. Offers good run and pace
Butler - Again cheap, small forward who applies good forward pressure

If we end up with any of the above or similar players and put ourselves in a position to secure the likes of Grundy and DeGoey, I'd be relatively happy with that.

Wouldn't mind a quieter and cheaper trade period. Targeting cheap role players who won't break the bank in terms of cost and salary.

Some of the names being floated would come pretty cheap and all play a role:
Trengrove - Similar pick to Roughy last year
McKay - Young KPD, 3rd round pick probably gets it done
Cutler - Out of contract, not sure on the free agency status? But should come pretty cheap. Offers good run and pace
Butler - Again cheap, small forward who applies good forward pressure

If we end up with any of the above or similar players and put ourselves in a position to secure the likes of Grundy and DeGoey, I'd be relatively happy with that.

I echo this aswell. Grundy and De-Goey priorities. But these players can play a role for us. Keath would be good aswell, can't see him being more than a second rounder.

I echo this aswell. Grundy and De-Goey priorities. But these players can play a role for us. Keath would be good aswell, can't see him being more than a second rounder.
Yeah Keath is another one I was going to include on the list. Few other clubs interested though and don't think we'd to find ourselves in a tussle for him and end up paying overs, especially if a Trengrove/McKay type will come cheaper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like it too at first glance - tough as nails and a much better option as a backup ruckman than those we currently have on the list, although the years of pinch hitting in the ruck may have taken their toll a little and might not be quite so effective in that role now?

We probably need someone a bit more agile and quick off the mark for our second tall defender though when I think about it a bit more - Trengove and Roughead are probably a bit too similar in some respects.

I like it too at first glance - tough as nails and a much better option as a backup ruckman than those we currently have on the list, although the years of pinch hitting in the ruck may have taken their toll a little and might not be quite so effective in that role now?

We probably need someone a bit more agile and quick off the mark for our second tall defender though when I think about it a bit more - Trengove and Roughead are probably a bit too similar in some respects.

Yeah true enough that he could be hurt on the lead by your agile types like Hipwood/Ben Brown, Cameron, I guess in that scenario you'd be looking too the likes of Shaz, Howe and Langdon as the third defenders to chop of the leading lanes and space.

Cutler's last stand it is then, didn't mind his speed, disposal efficiency is s**t but he really breaks the lines and bombs it long! our forwards don't mind the odd chaos ball, it's not like there are any key positions to kick to anyway
Would've been keen on somebody like Cutler until Murray was approved for 2020

Moving on Reid, Wells, Goldsack, Varcoe, Crocker, Broomhead, Murray should create cap space

Plus Mayne and Greenwoods high salary will also be coming to an end

Who is on super contract, De Goey, Grundy ?

Plus I would trade out Moore, Elliot possibly Thomas - my opinion though, Moore and Elliot are too injury prone, I feel like having more KPP quality could help us be better. Tomlinson, Mason Wood even Bruce could assist in this area. Plus I feel as though Cox only shows flashes of form. I'm not sure he can replicate the form of last years prelim consistently.

I agree with your general idea that we need to target key position players. I also think there is merit in thinning out the injury prone players on the list. I wouldn't go about it the way you have suggested though.

I think Moore and Elliott have far too much value to us, if they are playing well, than if we trade them. Moore we wouldn't get his real value and I honestly reckon he is just developing his body and will come good. I think he is a part of the solution not the problem (long term) but appreciate why people get frustrated about the injuries. Elliott is a free agent and we'd get nothing in return.

I think you achieve the same thing by removing some of the older injury prone players like Reid and Wells. Then carefully targetting some key position players from other teams that will fit us but maybe not cost the earth (as in what we'd have needed for Lynch, they'll still cost). I really like Alex Keath (Ade), Brennan Cox (Freo) Harry Himmelburg (GWS) (Scodog10 i'm a convert) as potential targets.

I like what Alex Keath offers in defence. Similar output as Moore, good size to play on the big boys, and allows us to shift Moore forward. Himmelburg, has a real attack on the ball which would be epic partnered with Mihocek, plus a touch of class and size. He would fit our structures perfectly and might be gettable if GWS want to keep Cameron. I reckon Cox is more developmental so perhaps not the tightest target, but projecting, he's another that really attacks the ball, has size, has flexibility forward and back. All would improve our list balance considerably.

Anyway I liked your post and think you have the right idea just reckon we can go about it in a different way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back