List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come to think of it, Aish is this year’s Wellingham.

Plus we now have picks round one and two next year (all eyes on Saints), or can manoeuvre better picks this year by trading picks again.
No he's not. We got pick 18 for Wellingham. Not some vague swap of future picks.

Last edited:
Good luck Aisho. Welcome DC and a possible move into the first round of this year's draft.
GFC paled in comparison to the CFC.

He has show Flashes of Being a A+ in the Future
For Stevo rather than grade him now better to assess his worth. Call the Suns last week and say you want to swap Stevo for the number 1 pick. Would be a serious discussion. I would do it if I was them.

Not many players you could say that about

Found this in the AFL-archives relating to 2016 payments;

According to the players' collective bargaining agreement, which is entering its final year, first-round draftees receive a base of $74,740 in their first season and $3660 a match.

Weitering, who is expected to be a regular in Carlton's backline next season, would stand to earn up to $175,490, including bonuses, if he played every game in 2016.

So 1st Year player + all games = 175k++
Seasons 4+ player should be 300k++ min base + payments?

Would mean Aish free'd up maybe 345-415k as a regular/fringe 22 player? But contract for the new Darcy would be 150-175k? So only a 200/250k cap relief trade?

Doesn't seem to really fit the narrative that we needed him out to secure all 3 (Moore, DeGoey, Grundy) given 200k doesn't stretch far.

If our cap is that tight we have mismanaged our list.

Ned Guy claimed our goal was to get a first round pick. That didn’t happen

Next years draft is academy dominated and apparently we have one of the better academy prospects so we should of looked to trade next years first pick to get back into this years first round as we need points next year.

But we got a NEAFL ruckman
How would you know if we did not try, for all you know we did and still can trade back in, just because it did not happen yet does not mean it won’t happen.
You are just unset cause we still have cox

Who said Aish would not be a Huge Improver IF he Stayed?
Would have been interesting to see if he could move upfield and take Mayne's possy, the club was always going to go with Quaynor for speed and creativity down back

Can anyone whinging about the Aish trade point out to me what he brought to the team that we now don't have? He is a small defender who usually shat the bed 1 v 1 bar maybe a few highlights here an there. For the most part he was just filling in space in the final 22 mainly because those who would otherwise take his place were injured. If you want to win a premiership, these are the kinds of sacrifices teams have to make. We should've done the same with Reid but he can actually play a role in the forwardline.

On SM-G960U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

According to the players' collective bargaining agreement, which is entering its final year, first-round draftees receive a base of $74,740 in their first season and $3660 a match.

Weitering, who is expected to be a regular in Carlton's backline next season, would stand to earn up to $175,490, including bonuses, if he played every game in 2016.

Would mean Aish free'd up maybe 345-415k as a regular/fringe 22 player? But contract for the new Darcy would be 150-175k? So only a 200/250k cap relief trade?

Doesn't seem to really fit the narrative that we needed him out to secure all 3 (Moore, DeGoey, Grundy) given 200k doesn't stretch far.

You have to also look at the other rotations of our list. Wells especially, there would be more than 200k cap relief

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes. But if our plan is to create a million bucks of space for 2021 contracts. Replace 4 James Aish level blokes with 4 minimum wage blokes, space it out over 2 trade cycles. There's your million. Sounds like we were trying to get half way there with Shaz, but no takers.

Im curious why you think recent history shows it matters.

Despite only winning 2 flags, the Tigers have been the best team for the last 3 years. For 2 of those years, their forward line had one bloke standing 193cm and smalls around him.

The year before the flag was won by a team by playing without a genuine kpf all season. On grand final day a tall drifted forward from the ruck to have an impact for his only time in his career.

Lynch helps the tigers because he's a bloody good player, but replace him with Degoey and i think theyd be even better.

Let's not forget that this 193 cm bloke is a genuine key forward who has won a pair of Coleman medals. He's not some scrub who couldn't kick the ball to save themselves. Put Cox in that team instead of Jack and let's see if they still win 2017.

I see your point about the dogs and perhaps they're the notable exception. But when it mattered on the big day, the big key forward (pretty confident he was named at FF and Roughy did most of the ruckwork on GF day) won them the game.

Let's not overlook the premier's from last year and how their talls performed not only on the big stage but also through the season. Let's look further back into the Hawks 3 peat. 72, 74 and 50 goals in premiership years from Roughy. When was the last time any Collingwood player kicked over 70 goals? The closest I remember was Travis Cloke, who just happens to be a key position forward.

Take Lynch out of this Tigers squad this year and they wouldn't be premier's. The big prick didn't even have a pre season and still kicked 63 goals! He was a huge factor in the prelim and will be a monster next year.

You can't tell me that a talented key forward doesn't make a difference.

Like I said this is a holding pattern for a specific reason, and after Cox went down your key forward options in the prelim were Tohill and Wilson without Reid
Cox is no good anyway
Played the first final without Reid but again when Reid went down the year before Mihocek played. We are better off looking for another options

Let's not forget that this 193 cm bloke is a genuine key forward who has won a pair of Coleman medals. He's not some scrub who couldn't kick the ball to save themselves. Put Cox in that team instead of Jack and let's see if they still win 2017.

I see your point about the dogs and perhaps they're the notable exception. But when it mattered on the big day, the big key forward (pretty confident he was named at FF and Roughy did most of the ruckwork on GF day) won them the game.

Let's not overlook the premier's from last year and how their talls performed not only on the big stage but also through the season. Let's look further back into the Hawks 3 peat. 72, 74 and 50 goals in premiership years from Roughy. When was the last time any Collingwood player kicked over 70 goals? The closest I remember was Travis Cloke, who just happens to be a key position forward.

Take Lynch out of this Tigers squad this year and they wouldn't be premier's. The big prick didn't even have a pre season and still kicked 63 goals! He was a huge factor in the prelim and will be a monster next year.

You can't tell me that a talented key forward doesn't make a difference.
I'm not saying a talented key forward doesn't make a difference. Im saying that talented blokes make a difference, regardless of position. But you have to have some role players and they can be your kpfs if your other players are good enough.

I agree that Riewoldt is a star, in my opinion he's the most underrated player of his generation. But just as replacing him with Cox would have cruelled them, so would replacing Dusty with Wills, Prestia with Mayne, Houli with Aish, etc...

Last edited:
I'm not saying a talented key forward doesn't make a difference. Im saying that talented blokes make a difference, regardless of position. But you have to have some role players and they can be your kpfs if your other players are good enough.

Maybe that's the case. But there aren't a lot of recent premier's or grand finalists who's KPFs could only be considered as role players.

I think we have over performed the past 2 Seasons.
2018 was a surprise that we made top 4 & made the GF.
2019 we were ordinary for a good chunk of the year, yet somehow made TOP 4 again (with Hawthorn assistance).
North took us to the cleaners.
Hawks beat us.
We were lucky against Essendon, WC & Dogs.
Tigers beat us easily, so did GWS.
We are a 5-12 side (ladder position).

I could counter all this selective negativity by saying the season is 23 weeks long where we were TOP 4 for about 18 weeks. So no making Top 4 was not lucky.
We made a Prelim and could have made a GF.
And you conveniently forget we made Rich look very ordinary in RD 2 when both teams were at close to full strength.

If you actually believe we have a list that could finish 12 you are kidding yourself.

Last edited:
Cox is no good anyway
Played the first final without Reid but again when Reid went down the year before Mihocek played. We are better off looking for another options
They are going to do that as well but you can't gut the list for rookies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back