List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it’s buyer beware for both those players. Taranto was a significantly better player in 2019 (B&F in GF year as a 21yo) than he is now … so if that’s a continual decline we could end up with a Shiel scenario where for whatever reason they played their best footy early 20’s. Maybe it’s due to opportunity or the role he’s given, but you’d want to be very careful his best footy isn’t behind him.

And Hopper seems a bit fragile physically. This will be his 3rd season out of 6 since being a guaranteed senior player that he will have missed at least 7 games in a season - that’s a massive red flag for someone who’ll be 26yo start of 2023.

I certainly wouldn’t give up a top-10 pick for either of them as neither Taranto or Hopper are in the very top echelon of mids.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Agree 100% I wouldn’t be selling the farm for either of the two
Would only really entertain chasing one of them as a part of a Dusty trade (big question marks as to that even happening) but I’m in the camp that GWS won’t entertain letting Green go and will ensure he stays a Giant

I think it’s buyer beware for both those players. Taranto was a significantly better player in 2019 (B&F in GF year as a 21yo) than he is now … so if that’s a continual decline we could end up with a Shiel scenario where for whatever reason they played their best footy early 20’s. Maybe it’s due to opportunity or the role he’s given, but you’d want to be very careful his best footy isn’t behind him.

And Hopper seems a bit fragile physically. This will be his 3rd season out of 6 since being a guaranteed senior player that he will have missed at least 7 games in a season - that’s a massive red flag for someone who’ll be 26yo start of 2023.

I certainly wouldn’t give up a top-10 pick for either of them as neither Taranto or Hopper are in the very top echelon of mids.

Taranto has had an outstanding 2022 thus far. Would be our best performing mid easily.

Jason McCartney was on radio a couple of days ago and asked about a potential trade for Dusty.
  • Laughed off the thought of Tom Green being included in a trade
  • 1st Rounder is what he thought would be the starting point of any discussion

Taranto would be out of our price range I think. For where we are, Hopper would fit nicely. Mid priced inside player, who we could build around for the next 4-5 years.

If we bring Taranto in on good coin then there would be an expectation that we are trying to contend, when likely we are trying to build the foundations of our next list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't think we'd be able to compete with Essendon as far as salary and draft compensation if we were after Hopper. Exactly what they need and would be paying him $750k + comfortably.

Jason McCartney was on radio a couple of days ago and asked about a potential trade for Dusty.
  • Laughed off the thought of Tom Green being included in a trade
  • 1st Rounder is what he thought would be the starting point of any discussion
He's obviously binned his "trading for Dummies" by Adrian Dodoro book if he's not thinking a 3rd gets it done :D

What are others opinions on Zurhaar?

Put the Norf are crap feelings aside.

I rate him, tough as nails, plays medium forward and I reckon could play the Dusty fwd / mid role long term (not the same level obviously) and wouldn't cost the earth.

What are others opinions on Zurhaar?

Put the Norf are crap feelings aside.

I rate him, tough as nails, plays medium forward and I reckon could play the Dusty fwd / mid role long term (not the same level obviously) and wouldn't cost the earth.
Don’t think he really fits in our system, if he was going to break into the midfield we would of already seen more glimpses of it and historically Dimma isn’t a fan on medium forwards unless they can really apply alot if defensive pressure

Don’t think he really fits in our system, if he was going to break into the midfield we would of already seen more glimpses of it and historically Dimma isn’t a fan on medium forwards unless they can really apply alot if defensive pressure
Probably right, reckon he could be a player in our system.

Hopper should be on our radar, so too Taranto.

If Dusty leaves I'd love Hopper and their first.

Didn’t Hopper sign a contract extension last season? You wouldn’t bother trading for him now when you can sign him as a free agent at the end of 2023.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’ve been linked to Hopper previously, he’d be a solid B grader and add to our midfield depth, but agree with others wouldn’t be offering our first rounder. Maybe a player swap.

Really hoping we keep our first round pick this year, lets continue to add quality kids to the list.
Id love Hopper, wouldnt cost the earth like the others and would play an immediate role to a high level.

If not a pick (norfs pick would be good) who could we trade and afford to lose?

Id love Hopper, wouldnt cost the earth like the other and play an immediate role to a high level.

If not a pick (norfs pick would be good) who could we trade and afford to lose?
I was just thinking about that (trade) what type of player GWS need , but then remembered the reason they are offloading player/s is due to salary cap issues. So they’ll probably be after a draft pick.

Maybe we get a pick and on trade it if one of our WA boys head home or up North.

Last edited:
Taranto has had an outstanding 2022 thus far. Would be our best performing mid easily.

Hmmm … I’ve seen quite a few GWS games and Taranto has been good but often ineffective to my eye - calling his year outstanding is a big stretch IMO. He’s just not a damaging enough midfielder to give up a high draft pick … he has missed 1 x game this season, but when looking at averages across the comp this is where he sits in 2022:

Score Involvements: 82nd
Total clearances: 58th
Centre clearances: 71st
Contested possessions: 39th
Metres gained: 65th
Disposals: 27th
Tackles: 39th
Goals: not in top-100

Those are the stats of a vanilla midfielder. He’d of course be in our starting midfield and would be a good addition, but if anyone thinking Taranto will transform our midfield fortunes they’ll be disappointed.

Hmmm … I’ve seen quite a few GWS games and Taranto has been good but often ineffective to my eye - calling his year outstanding is a big stretch IMO. He’s just not a damaging enough midfielder to give up a high draft pick … he has missed 1 x game this season, but when looking at averages across the comp this is where he sits in 2022:

Score Involvements: 82nd
Total clearances: 58th
Centre clearances: 71st
Contested possessions: 39th
Metres gained: 65th
Disposals: 27th
Tackles: 39th
Goals: not in top-100

Those are the stats of a vanilla midfielder. He’d of course be in our starting midfield and would be a good addition, but if anyone thinking Taranto will transform our midfield fortunes they’ll be disappointed.

where do our mids stack up? Those stats dont look good stand alone, but against ours I would reckon they look spectacular.

We have no player like Hopper on our list, also Taranto would be our best mid = Prestia also a plodder
Ben Keays looks better than Dion on paper too. Should we throw the kitchen sink at him? What about Matt Crouch? Cam Guthrie?

Our midfield is ordinary and we only play with two pure mids anyway (Dion and Cotch). One is over the hill and the other is made of glass. The rest are all hybrids.

I was just thinking about that (trade) what type of player GWS need , but then remembered the reason they are offloading player/s is due to salary cap issues. So they’ll probably be after a draft pick.

Maybe we get a pick and on trade it if one of our WA boys head home or up North.

We perhaps can’t rule out one or more of our youngsters being sent to GWS as part of a deal. T Brown for eg is from the border, would be still on his initial minimum contract and has strong potential, so could be a possible bargaining chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back