List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to feel like an eternity until either / both Taranto and Hopper officially request trades and nominate a club of choice.

Hopefully tomorrow is the day - wouldn't surprise me if instructions were communicated that today was off limits as the AFL wanted the broadcast deal to be headline news.

....I'll run with that!

Full steam ahead trying to get both I say. Said it over on the Hopper thread on the main board but we've clearly been gearing up for an agressive trade period for a while. We've lost Astbury, Houli, Caddy, Lambert, Edwards without bringing much in, Jack/Cotch to go around again on greatly reduced deals, other big deals due to finish in the next 1-3 years, we've got cap space to work with.

We've gone hard in the draft the last 4 years, there's hardly a lack of young talent coming through, we aren't throwing our future away for the present.
Gibcus, Sonsie, Brown, Clarke, Banks, Ryan, Rioli Jnr, Dow, Cumberland, Martyn, Ralphsmith, Biggie, RCD, Ross, Stack, Mansell, Bauer
That's a signficant investment in youth over the last 4 seasons. Not all of those will make it obviously, but there's been a big emphasis on bringing youth in during our golden years and that allows us to be more flexible now. Sure it would be nice to get a gun KPF prospect in, but it doesn't look like there will be one at our picks this year anyway.

We tend to overrate draft picks as fans imo. Say we pay 12 + 20 + next years first for Taranto and Hopper. Sounds like a lot on paper, but say we keep those picks. Odds on one probably won't make it, if the other two turned out as good as Taranto and Hopper you'd be stoked. No issues with taking known commodities, especially when both are still relatively young. It's also an age group we have a hole in, probably a bigger issue than the youngsters.

I'm still not super confident we land both, feels a bit too good to be true, but either way I really like the club being bold and trying to extend our time in the window.

Is Degoey better than Prestia? Considering he’s less injury prone I reckon he is. Give Prestia to GWS to make cap room for De Goey. And not give as many draft picks for TT and Hopper. Take those extra picks to the draft this year. I do not see us losing in this scenario. Prestia playing 1/3 of the season is not enough. I get he’s a premiership hero but keeping those injury prone players costs you flags. Pretty sure he’s happy enough with his career and might as well get paid better elsewhere like Ellis.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Also this is Delidio 2.0 again. All of you freaking out that a gun injury player will leave. Best thing that happened to our club was him getting the boot and it got us the 2017 flag. Prestia is also 30 this year and his hammys are only gonna get worse. Degoey has already turned 26. Much better age profile for the next dynasty with Bolton at 23. I literally do not get the downside especially with better draft capital. I think people need to take into account that prestia seems a little better than he is because he is our best mid. Comp wise he’s great but not absolute top tier. It can be a little deceiving. Just calm down and think about it for a second.

With some positional changes

Out: Cotchin, Edwards, Riewoldt,
In: Taranto Graham Hopper

Grimes isn’t best 22 for me so I’d go with stack back in defence

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable
youtube pain GIF by Hyper RPG

You can really tell when school holidays are on.

Going to feel like an eternity until either / both Taranto and Hopper officially request trades and nominate a club of choice.

Hopefully tomorrow is the day - wouldn't surprise me if instructions were communicated that today was off limits as the AFL wanted the broadcast deal to be headline news.

....I'll run with that!
nah wont happen until the season is over as their managers want to squeeze every last dollar out

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable
youtube pain GIF by Hyper RPG

You can really tell when school holidays are on.

It’s amazing to see how oblivious people are. We just lost cause of the reasons I’m saying, like hello. Watch him do it next year. I guarantee all of you says ffs every time he does a hammy and get pissed off. Careful what you wish for.

It’s amazing to see how oblivious people are. We just lost cause of the reasons I’m saying, like hello. Watch him do it next year. I guarantee all of you says ffs every time he does a hammy and get pissed off. Careful what you wish for.

I agree with you, trade Prestia. Can you now stop posting about this?

It's always exciting when good players want to come to your club.

What I'm really interested in is specifically why the club thinks that bringing in Hopper and Taranto now, is different and more advisable than what Hawthorn did with O'Meara and Mitchell.

I've got no doubt they've assessed that situation as part of their decision making process. Obviously they've heeded some lessons and decided it's worth it.

To me it seems similar, so I'd be very keen to know what differences they've found. It'd probably be stuff that we could never totally grasp from the cheap seats.

H & T are both excellent players, that's not in doubt.

The interesting thing with the Hawthorn situation is that both O'Meara and Mitchell have been successful pick ups. Stopped them from totally bottoming out. From an individual point of view, they've performed. Great recruits. As H & T will be.

The problem was everyone else. They were either aging stars past their prime, or kids who weren't quite good enough. Hawthorn clearly went too far with it and doubled down again in the following years. As a result they had no high picks coming through for years, and nothing to build on the O'Meara/Mitchell core.

I'm far more optimistic about our kids than I was 10 weeks ago. Far, far, more. But we're still missing that gun inside bull under 23, and the next key forward.

Again, I'm sure we've considered this situation. I'd just like to know why they've decided to pull the trigger on the plan, instead of just taking one GWS guy and using a pick in the draft.

Something to think about anyway.

If we can get hopper and Taranto you do it. You don’t second guess it. Instantly changes our side. Wouldn’t be pinning hopes on dow and co.

I think we can run a line through him and RCD sadly. Those screaming about the value of first round draft picks probably would buy magic beans as well.

We could get another:
Lemon
Ellis
Higgins
Dow
RCD

Or Taranto and Hopper, who we already know 100% can play at the level.

Peoples fascination with draft picks shits me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I'm really interested in is specifically why the club thinks that bringing in Hopper and Taranto now, is different and more advisable than what Hawthorn did with O'Meara and Mitchell.

I've got no doubt they've assessed that situation as part of their decision making process. Obviously they've heeded some lessons and decided it's worth it.

To me it seems similar, so I'd be very keen to know what differences they've found. It'd probably be stuff that we could never totally grasp from the cheap seats.

The interesting thing with the Hawthorn situation is that both O'Meara and Mitchell have been successful pick ups. Stopped them from totally bottoming out. From an individual point of view, they've performed. Great recruits. As H & T will be.

The problem was everyone else. They were either aging stars past their prime, or kids who weren't quite good enough. Hawthorn clearly went too far with it and doubled down again in the following years. As a result they had no high picks coming through for years, and nothing to build on the O'Meara/Mitchell core.

I'm far more optimistic about our kids than I was 10 weeks ago. Far, far, more. But we're still missing that gun inside bull under 23, and the next key forward.

Again, I'm sure we've considered this situation. I'd just like to know why they've decided to pull the trigger on the plan, instead of just taking one GWS guy and using a pick in the draft.

Difference is we already have a young list and gone hard at the draft. They were adding to an already aging list hoping for a flag.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Completely different situations. Hawthorn we’re clinging on as best they could to the cliff and Omeara was nowhere near his best due to injury. They also neglected the draft.

I am just loving that we are a destination club.

Go back 10 years ago and it was totally different.

I am really excited about Taranto, I thought he was the best player in his draft year, and he has shown he is a very good player.

I know a little less about Hopper, but sounds a good player.

Hope we can get both, but not sure how we will go about doing it. Trade tie will be exciting this off season.

Full steam ahead trying to get both I say. Said it over on the Hopper thread on the main board but we've clearly been gearing up for an agressive trade period for a while. We've lost Astbury, Houli, Caddy, Lambert, Edwards without bringing much in, Jack/Cotch to go around again on greatly reduced deals, other big deals due to finish in the next 1-3 years, we've got cap space to work with.

We've gone hard in the draft the last 4 years, there's hardly a lack of young talent coming through, we aren't throwing our future away for the present.
Gibcus, Sonsie, Brown, Clarke, Banks, Ryan, Rioli Jnr, Dow, Cumberland, Martyn, Ralphsmith, Biggie, RCD, Ross, Stack, Mansell, Bauer
That's a signficant investment in youth over the last 4 seasons. Not all of those will make it obviously, but there's been a big emphasis on bringing youth in during our golden years and that allows us to be more flexible now. Sure it would be nice to get a gun KPF prospect in, but it doesn't look like there will be one at our picks this year anyway.

We tend to overrate draft picks as fans imo. Say we pay 12 + 20 + next years first for Taranto and Hopper. Sounds like a lot on paper, but say we keep those picks. Odds on one probably won't make it, if the other two turned out as good as Taranto and Hopper you'd be stoked. No issues with taking known commodities, especially when both are still relatively young. It's also an age group we have a hole in, probably a bigger issue than the youngsters.

I'm still not super confident we land both, feels a bit too good to be true, but either way I really like the club being bold and trying to extend our time in the window.

It is not a lot, it is far too much and other clubs are laughing at us. Geelong would be backing of saying let them go

Two first and 20 is absurd.

Lot better for longer in the draft. GWS would be throwing themselves at us for that deal

So if we get Taranto and Hopper is the plan still to get Tom Green next year or nah? Probably be the Cotchin replacement.

Difference is we already have a young list and gone hard at the draft. They were adding to an already aging list hoping for a flag.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
Not sure what we've done could be classified as going hard at the draft.

We haven't neglected the draft, that's definitely true. But our success has prevented us from "going hard."

You can't "go hard" with picks after 15.

What was Hawthorns list like in the JOM/Mitchell age group? 🤷🏻‍♂️ Reckon they were replacing age groups they’d traded out of.

Hooper/Taranto are coming in to compliment our Rioli, Bolton, Balta age group.

Hawks would be more like us trading out these first rounders and in 6/7 trading first rounders for the blokes drafted in 2022/23. Even then we seem to have a good 2022 crop so would still likely work.

I think we can run a line through him and RCD sadly. Those screaming about the value of first round draft picks probably would buy magic beans as well.

We could get another:
Lemon
Ellis
Higgins
Dow
RCD

Or Taranto and Hopper, who we already know 100% can play at the level.

Peoples fascination with draft picks shits me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you know Hopper can do it at the level with the pay amount?

What if he is playing in the twos?

How great was it drafting Graham and we have better picks this time.

What about how vulnerable our backline is?

Just a different angle

If Both Hopper & Tarantino come to Richmond
i wonder if other future disillusioned GWS boys like Callaghan , Stone etc would think hey let me give these boys a call and see what its like at that great club Richmond

This is the problem. What if Hopper becomes a Treloar situation or worse if others are better like Devon Smith at Bombers?

If we are getting TT and Hopper it means we are going for flags, and they’d be coming to us with that a key element of our focus. Prestia will be crucial to our flag hopes. Prestia doesn’t get the accolades as other mids as Tigers play low possession game and he rarely has those 35+ games.

Meatball is our most important player.

What was Hawthorns list like in the JOM/Mitchell age group? 🤷🏻‍♂️ Reckon they were replacing age groups they’d traded out of.

Hooper/Taranto are coming in to compliment our Rioli, Bolton, Balta age group.

Hawks would be more like us trading out these first rounders and in 6/7 trading first rounders for the blokes drafted in 2022/23. Even then we seem to have a good 2022 crop so would still likely work.

That's a fair point.

Again, I'm not against it on principle. I'd just like to know why the club has decided it's ok, because I'm sure they've assessed it against Hawthorn. As they would have the end of Brisbane and Geelong's eras too.

I also think that you just can't trade out of the first round two years in a row. Just totally mucks up your list demographics.

And we still have an under 23 hole in probably the two most important areas of a list. So I wouldn't mind seeing us take at least one first round pick this year or next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back