List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Taranto deal was good, but if we'd had a mid term view and taken Bowes and Pick 7 instead of Hopper we would be in a much better position. Not saying Bowes is great but solid and in the right age bracket. Would mean we would have Jye Clarke and last years pick 6, (Riley Sanders). All of a sudden our rebuild of the midfield is 2 years further progressed with Clarke and Sanders already in alongside Taranto, KMac2 and Sonsie. One more top 2 pick elite mid this year and we aren't far off our mids for the next 10 years.

Hopper was the deal that set us back thinking he would be the difference for one more flag. Geelong were happy to take the medium term view and paying off now.

No, we would have last year's pick 8 after Jed Walters and McKay compo pick, which was Daniel Curtin (massive go-home factor if I remember correctly).

Also, Jye Clarke has yet to show that he can even develop into a better player than Hopper considering that the Cats having midfield issues of their own and he isn't being played there consistently.

Thoughts on Finn macrae? Any good or is there a good reason why he struggles to get a game? Not good enough?

He's exactly who we should be targeting. Reminds me of Lipinski when he was back at the Dogs. Dominates in magoos but rarely gets rewarded and when he does he gets dropped 1st. Unlike RCD and some of our other past spuds he annihilates in lower grade. Coaches are human: they have favourites, whipping boys. We were into him before pies took him the pick before ours, so we ended up trading that pick to Cats which landed them Max Holmes.

He's contracted for next year but the pies couldn't ask much for a bloke who's played 15 games in 3.5 years.

He's exactly who we should be targeting. Reminds me of Lipinski when he was back at the Dogs. Dominates in magoos but rarely gets rewarded and when he does he gets dropped 1st. Unlike RCD and some of our other past spuds he annihilates in lower grade. Coaches are human: they have favourites, whipping boys. We were into him before pies took him the pick before ours, so we ended up trading that pick to Cats which landed them Max Holmes.

He's contracted for next year but the pies couldn't ask much for a bloke who's played 15 games in 3.5 years.
They’d take one of our r2 s maybe r3

Would rather keep Baker than the range at what he is being valued at by opposition supporters.
I hope there is a chance he re-signs.

A pick 12-15 is still got be a bust. you hope u get a good player but it's wishful thinking you're going to get a player of Baker's quality that would be very lucky.

I agree with you, my only concern is that if he lacks a bit of pace then maybe having him in the midfield with Taranto and hopper might be too much one paced players ….. if he was a bit quicker I’d be all over him for sure

We've made some howlers, no doubt. Can guarantee you other clubs have too - no more so than Melbourne having picks 1+ 2 and still not picking Dusty. That is the worst drafting debacle of all time imo.

I'll take our sliding doors moment any day of the week having enjoyed a 3x flag dynasty.
2006 afl draft pick 6 hawthorn- mitch Thorpe
Geelong pick 7 Joel selwood

What a huge stretch. Utter nonsense to boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m making the point how ridiculous it is for people to bemoan not drafting Allen at the end of 2017 …. God only know what changes if that happens … so the fact we got B2B in 2019-20 then everything we did leading up to that achievement worked perfectly. This includes not getting Allen.

Maybe we still get Lynch and the B2B flags …. maybe we don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Would rather keep Baker than the range at what he is being valued at by opposition supporters.

A pick 12-15 is still got be a bust. you hope u get a good player but it's wishful thinking you're going to get a player of Baker's quality that would be very lucky.
The boy band flog from AFL.com is farken clueless. Baker is a top 10 pick plus a pick in the 20s or * off. Particularly in this draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another stinker.

Still think Melbourne taking picks 1 + 2 on Scully and Trengrove with Dusty going at 3 is the worst of all time.
This is rubbish. In pre draft rankings both Scully and Trengove were ranked higher. I’m certain Richmond would have taken one of those 2 if available. We lucked out that Martin fell into our lap. Melbourne did nothing wrong. Richmond’s history of stuffing up in the first round of the draft is hard to beat.

This is rubbish. In pre draft rankings both Scully and Trengove were ranked higher. I’m certain Richmond would have taken one of those 2 if available. We lucked out that Martin fell into our lap. Melbourne did nothing wrong. Richmond’s history of stuffing up in the first round of the draft is hard to beat.
From memory I think Trengove was the one we would have taken with pick one.

I think Melbourne were a bit unlucky with this one, as both players' careers were impacted by injury.

Carlton say hold my beer

From memory I think Trengove was the one we would have taken with pick one.

I think Melbourne were a bit unlucky with this one, as both players' careers were impacted by injury.
We were always taking dusty
Why else did sydney offer us picks 6 and 14 in this draft for our pick 3??
They wanted dusty big time

Yeah/Nah.
Got Bakes as a rookie gone as a 1st rounder.Its a win for us(Along with the 2 premierships with him)

Another stinker.

Still think Melbourne taking picks 1 + 2 on Scully and Trengrove with Dusty going at 3 is the worst of all time.
Naaah that noodle armed kid we picked instead of

1. Matthew Pavlich (2000-2016)

6 x best and fairest (2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2011)
8 x leading goalkicker (2001, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2012)
6 x All-Australian (2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008)
353 games, 700 goals, 1.98 goals per game, 126 Brownlow votes, 0.35 votes per game

And then Lennon over Cripps!

It’s not rubbish, it’s a fact confirmed by Francis Jackson.

The only pre draft rankings that matter were ours, and we definitely had Dusty at Number 1.

Our recruiters were ecstatic when Melbourne committed to Scully and Trengove.

Tiger draft recall: Dustin Martin​

In the third of a special feature series leading into the 2014 National Draft, Richmond’s Recruiting Manager Francis Jackson provides a fascinating insight into the 2009 drafting of Tiger young gun Dustin Martin.
By richmondfc.com.au
Nov 19, 2014, 6:15am

No Dustin doubt
“2009 was a very interesting year, with the close finish (for the wooden spoon). Melbourne finished below us, and qualified for a priority pick. We weren’t quite sure (what it would do with the top two selections), but we were very, very strong on Dustin.”

“We were ecstatic when we found out that Melbourne had committed to Tom Scully and Jack Trengove“

Incorrect - I was privy to info before the draft and we were always taking Martin whether pick 1,2 or 3

I’m making the point how ridiculous it is for people to bemoan not drafting Allen at the end of 2017 …. God only know what changes if that happens … so the fact we got B2B in 2019-20 then everything we did leading up to that achievement worked perfectly. This includes not getting Allen.

Maybe we still get Lynch and the B2B flags …. maybe we don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So you’ve got no point is what you’re saying.

Our wizbang talent matrix doesn’t evaluate tall talent or early talent well. Matt Clarke loves to tell everyone about it at club dinners but the fact is we haven’t prioritised talls and our early picks have reeked of someone who thinks they are the smartest bloke in the room.

The fact our forward line is the last two guys on the list shows our lack of foresight.

We always wanted Martin. One pick Jackson can hang his hat on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back