List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Impossible. Clubs traded last year strategically for this draft. New rules will be announced pre trade season this year so clubs can adjust accordingly for 2025.

Article just doing it for clicks.
Exactly

Teams wont agree to pass that and would need notice accordingly as alot of teams would have pushed their picks into the following year in preperation

Interesting to hear Cotchin on talking footy tonight, was asked if Dusty and Baker would be at Richmond next year, he hinted that he believed one player might not be, then mentioned the offer to Baker is quite considerable.

Last edited:

Been thinking about it and if the likes of Baker & Daniel want to leave then I'd be asking for proven players rather than just draft picks in return.

If Daniel wanted to go to the Suns then I'd be telling them that it's going to take someone like

Anderson
Rowell
Flanders
King
Humphrey

Baker is a bit harder being out of contract, but if he asked to go to Fremantle then I'd be asking about the following

Hayden Young
Josh Treacy

By asking for those types players it may well force them to pay more in terms of draft picks as a fall back position as theyd be reluctant to lose their talented players as they build for a shot at a flag.

the AFL is a professional world now (except Essendon)
If Baker wants to go home, the Tigers wont cry about it and will get a fair deal for him.

And if Baker wants to move back to WA you’d hope he would insist we are fairly compensated as part of the move

He might not have a big say in what that looks like but at least he puts it out there…to get me you need to play fair

Might as well just trade Bolton, Baker, Rioli, Gibcus and Nankervis too so we can have 9 1st rounders come draft time.

:rolleyes:
Gotta trade anyone over the age of 25 imo having young kids is the only thing that will dictate if your team will be good or bad in the next couple of seasons

If Baker nominates us you’ll get a fair deal, we’ve always been (overly) reasonable at the trade table. We could have walked Brockman to PSD last year but instead gave pick 44 and 63 without haggling. More than fair for a guy who was OOC, desperate to play for West Coast for club and family reasons who once Liam Ryan is fit is not a best 22 player.

We just don’t have the capital to pay you so if he leaves it’s 95% going to be Freo. Last year they too were reasonable at the trade treble. Only Essendon and Geelong and truly *wits with trade. You’ll ask for their best 1R, they’ll offer their last 1R then you’ll probably settle on their middle one, shake hands and get on with the rest of the trade period.

If Baker nominates us you’ll get a fair deal, we’ve always been (overly) reasonable at the trade table. We could have walked Brockman to PSD last year but instead gave pick 44 and 63 without haggling. More than fair for a guy who was OOC, desperate to play for West Coast for club and family reasons who once Liam Ryan is fit is not a best 22 player.

We just don’t have the capital to pay you so if he leaves it’s 95% going to be Freo. Last year they too were reasonable at the trade treble. Only Essendon and Geelong and truly *wits with trade. You’ll ask for their best 1R, they’ll offer their last 1R then you’ll probably settle on their middle one, shake hands and get on with the rest of the trade period.
Yeah with Clarke spending a lot of time under Blair with us you will probably find West Coast being pretty fair operators at the trade table

Like all clubs we do haggle a little bit but ultimately we aren’t afraid to put the picks up to secure a target and likewise when we lose players they always tend to go to the players preferred club without trying to take anyone to the cleaners

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TBH I’m a little worried about this mini-exodus we seem to have on our hands. I don’t know about you guys but I’m not ready for another 5 years of pain lol

I know we’re not forcibly trying to trade these players out so we’ve got to get what we can for them (if all the rumors are true), but I just don’t want us to be like Hawthorn who seem to be on a fast track to nowhere with their list

Yeah with Clarke spending a lot of time under Blair with us you will probably find West Coast being pretty fair operators at the trade table

Like all clubs we do haggle a little bit but ultimately we aren’t afraid to put the picks up to secure a target and likewise when we lose players they always tend to go to the players preferred club without trying to take anyone to the cleaners
Exactly. Clubs like Cats and Bombers have such short sighted views that they have to win every trade, every year. It’s a long game, lists managers (and player managers) would much prefer negotiations in good faith. Sure you sometimes give a little bit some years because the exact pick number of a player’s perceived worth is not available, but you’ll be on the other side of the coin next time. If the Cats came calling in 2026 for Harley I’d rather send him to the PSD than have him play for those pricks, but he’ll be signed up by then.

Exactly. Clubs like Cats and Bombers have such short sighted views that they have to win every trade, every year. It’s a long game, lists managers (and player managers) would much prefer negotiations in good faith. Sure you sometimes give a little bit some years because the exact pick number of a player’s perceived worth is not available, but you’ll be on the other side of the coin next time. If the Cats came calling in 2026 for Harley I’d rather send him to the PSD than have him play for those pricks, but he’ll be signed up by then.
If you don’t want Harley to join the cats I might have a solution

Straight swap for Baker and I’ll even drop baker off at the airport ;)

If you don’t want Harley to join the cats I might have a solution

Straight swap for Baker and I’ll even drop baker off at the airport ;)
Might add Tigers to my list of clubs not to trade with… Harley’s loving it over here, he won’t leave in 3 years you can take that to the bank. Baker will go to Freo. I actually think you guys have landed in the right spot to go hard at the draft before Tassie come in. If we had any players of value 26-29 I’d trade them and go to the draft, but we don’t.

Might add Tigers to my list of clubs not to trade with… Harley’s loving it over here, he won’t leave in 3 years you can take that to the bank. Baker will go to Freo. I actually think you guys have landed in the right spot to go hard at the draft before Tassie come in. If we had any players of value 26-29 I’d trade them and go to the draft, but we don’t.
Strong connection Baker to eagles from a few sources.

Strong connection Baker to eagles from a few sources.
I’m hearing the total opposite over here. 2 years ago that was very different. Freo will offer good money and a chance at another flag in 2-3 years.

We simply cannot pay you for him. If you could re-sign him for 1 year to get him to FA, we could probably afford a band 1 deal to get you a high pick next year. Then we could talk.

Pricks is to good a word for the Handbaggers ....ld more go with CU#TS !!!

Been thinking about it and if the likes of Baker & Daniel want to leave then I'd be asking for proven players rather than just draft picks in return.

If Daniel wanted to go to the Suns then I'd be telling them that it's going to take someone like

Anderson
Rowell

Flanders
King
Humphrey

Baker is a bit harder being out of contract, but if he asked to go to Fremantle then I'd be asking about the following

Hayden Young
Josh Treacy

By asking for those types players it may well force them to pay more in terms of draft picks as a fall back position as theyd be reluctant to lose their talented players as they build for a shot at a flag.
LOL. No chance any of them are involved. We're not challenging anytime in the next few years anyway, picks are what we want.

TBH I’m a little worried about this mini-exodus we seem to have on our hands. I don’t know about you guys but I’m not ready for another 5 years of pain lol

I know we’re not forcibly trying to trade these players out so we’ve got to get what we can for them (if all the rumors are true), but I just don’t want us to be like Hawthorn who seem to be on a fast track to nowhere with their list
What mini exodus?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back