List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Hilarious response devoid of logic ...
1) Allen did not play in 2018 because of tibia stress fracture he had when drafted
2) Chol played 30 games as a forward from 2019-2022
3) He started behind Kennedy and Darling at WCE during this period

4) Drafting Higgins over Allen was an epic fail .... could add Sam Taylor instead of CCJ to that list too

Did you watch any of our games?

2019: Chol … 9 games for 9 goals and 72 hit outs
2020: 11 games for 8 goals and 66 hit outs.
2021: 10 games for 7 goals and 123 hit outs.

Chol was playing plenty of ruck - if he was a forward only he would NEVER have played in the same team as Jack and Lynch.

Then he left end of 2021 as he wasn’t getting games every week. CCJ also left for opportunity.

But Allen would’ve stayed despite not being able to play ruck so he’d have never gotten a game except when one of Jack or Lynch were injured…. yeah, nah.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Boggles the mind!
No doubt he have had some picks that we wish we went a different route but I can’t stand the way people use information from now as if it was available at the time and act like they would of picked any different at the time

Exactly. Tambling was touted as a potential #1. There was literally zero … zero surprise with Richmond picking Tambling.

And there was zero surprise with Richmond picking Fiora over Pavlich at #3 either.

But we can be critical of ‘surprise selections’ made due to lack of recruiting resources (Oakleigh Nichols) or plucking players well ahead of their predicted order (Conca).

You don’t win 1 x flag, let alone 3 in an 18-team competition with a strict salary cap if your recruiting / list management hasn’t been beyond brilliant.

All sides have that moment.
Imagine being the Dees back in 2009.
Missing out on Dusty not once but twice.

Saints and McCartin was a massive howler. Petracca was clearly the #1 elect for the entire year leading into that draft … Saints got nervous because of NRoo coming to the end and changed to McCartin. Massive error that wasn’t made in hindsight. Billings over Bont a huge error in hindsight, but not sure that was any big surprise at the time.

But sliding doors … Saints pick Bont and Petracca over McCartin and Billings they’d likely have their second or even third flag by now.

We just don't learn ... not selecting gun forwards because we already have one ... Pavlich, Buddy, Allen

Allen is 25yo and has kicked more than 30 goals once … once. And that was 53 ….

The Blues within 2 years spent draft picks 10, 12 and 30 and landed McKay, Curnow and DeKoning. Would love to poach a KPF through FA maybe even pick up an excess one cheaply off the Dogs. Failing that the club needs to use actual decent picks to land quality in the most vital position. It's so rare to land a quality one with a pick later in the Draft. KPF and quality mids would be nice and would love to see no more skinny hbf drafted for another 10 years. No more pointless KPF in pre/ mid season drafts either unless one's averaging 6+ goals in the lower grade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Terrible decision too take Tambling over Buddy.
How easy is hindsight.
We've made some howlers, no doubt. Can guarantee you other clubs have too - no more so than Melbourne having picks 1+ 2 and still not picking Dusty. That is the worst drafting debacle of all time imo.

I'll take our sliding doors moment any day of the week having enjoyed a 3x flag dynasty.

We've made some howlers, no doubt. Can guarantee you other clubs have too - no more so than Melbourne having picks 1+ 2 and still not picking Dusty. That is the worst drafting debacle of all time imo.

I'll take our sliding doors moment any day of the week having enjoyed a 3x flag dynasty.
definitely a sliding doors moment the entire 04 draft.If we took Buddy we more than likely finish higher up the ladder from say 06 0nwards which would mean no Cotch & Dusty and maybe not Jack & other either.

Exactly. Tambling was touted as a potential #1. There was literally zero … zero surprise with Richmond picking Tambling.

And there was zero surprise with Richmond picking Fiora over Pavlich at #3 either.

But we can be critical of ‘surprise selections’ made due to lack of recruiting resources (Oakleigh Nichols) or plucking players well ahead of their predicted order (Conca).

You don’t win 1 x flag, let alone 3 in an 18-team competition with a strict salary cap if your recruiting / list management hasn’t been beyond brilliant.

Looking at the list build from the Wallace to the Hardwick eras that lead up to the flags our recruiting is very very hit and miss. When our staff are right with a pick, God damn is that a beautiful pick. Rance, Martin, Riewoldt and Cotchin being the top 5 players in our side during 2017 really showed that we had the best top 5 of that year by a wide margin. Then you look at the other picks we have really gotten right in Edwards, Grimes, Broad, Vlastuin, Lambert and Astbury. All stand out players that excelled.

However, we don't seem to be good on the OK players. If we get it wrong, it is disastrous. Vickery, C Ellis, any of the other plodders not on the list from the 2010 to 2015 drafts. We don't seem to be able to do much with the OK player. The player that can contribute for about 100 games or so and then leaves.

Looking at the list build from the Wallace to the Hardwick eras that lead up to the flags our recruiting is very very hit and miss. When our staff are right with a pick, God damn is that a beautiful pick. Rance, Martin, Riewoldt and Cotchin being the top 5 players in our side during 2017 really showed that we had the best top 5 of that year by a wide margin. Then you look at the other picks we have really gotten right in Edwards, Grimes, Broad, Vlastuin, Lambert and Astbury. All stand out players that excelled.

However, we don't seem to be good on the OK players. If we get it wrong, it is disastrous. Vickery, C Ellis, any of the other plodders not on the list from the 2010 to 2015 drafts. We don't seem to be able to do much with the OK player. The player that can contribute for about 100 games or so and then leaves.
That’s part of the issue at applying hindsight, like the Vickery pick for eg easy to chock him up as a bad pick but at the time he was 100% the right pick

He was all Australian in his final jr year and even projected to be a top 5 pick for that draft

As it turned out he didn’t live up to his potential but drafting is purely based on potential with information at the time
He was the right pick in 2008 based on all the data and what we needed for the list

If picked a player with the same resume this year with our top draft pick we would all agree (including experts) that we had nailed that pick but if that players career turned out the same as Vickery those same people who celebrated the pick at the time would all of a sudden apply hindsight as if they knew better and knew he was going to be a s**t pick and the club made a mistake

If Baker heads to Fremantle, along with a R1 picks, I wouldn't be against us taking a look at Sam Sturt as steak knives to the deal

That’s part of the issue at applying hindsight, like the Vickery pick for eg easy to chock him up as a bad pick but at the time he was 100% the right pick

He was all Australian in his final jr year and even projected to be a top 5 pick for that draft

As it turned out he didn’t live up to his potential but drafting is purely based on potential with information at the time
He was the right pick in 2008 based on all the data and what we needed for the list

If picked a player with the same resume this year with our top draft pick we would all agree (including experts) that we had nailed that pick but if that players career turned out the same as Vickery those same people who celebrated the pick at the time would all of a sudden apply hindsight as if they knew better and knew he was going to be a s**t pick and the club made a mistake
I understand the hindsight part of it but I was more trying to make the point that we don't ever seem to have a high pick be just "ok". You know how there are some players that are taken in the top 30 by other clubs and they just seem to be able to hit that "perfectly acceptable" status as a footballer who plays 75 - 150 games and then isnt sighted again.

We seem to either nail the pick or the kid turns out to be a disaster.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back