List Mgmt. Trade: Geelong receives Mitch Clark from Melbourne and sends Travis Varcoe to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the club wouldn't see much point in those pick changes. It's pretty unlikely that having pick 30 instead of 35 is going to change our player selection, especially as the club does back Wells to pick diamonds from the rough, so they might prefer to lose pick 35 in exchange for dropping a few places but picking up an additional pick.

My thinking was doing it this way so we actually retain a second round pick rather than forgoing it with a trade for Clark. I suppose it depends on what we are likely to receive for Varcoe. May end up being swings and roundabouts in the end.

First round pick or Jordan Murdoch for Clark or we'll send him to the pre season draft, where GWS can have him for free.

Geelong, You have to give something to get something.

First round pick or Jordan Murdoch for Clark or we'll send him to the pre season draft, where GWS can have him for free.

lol.

In that case take Murdoch because he ain't worth a first round pick. And how do you come up with a first round pick for a guy that's retired from the game with mental issues, had major foot injuries and only played a handful of games in 3 years? Just cause you guys paid massive overs for the output he's given you doesn't mean that's his value now. There is huge risk in us picking him up, you're lucky he's decided to try and play again so you actually get SOMETHING for him.

I don't think your club wants to send him to the draft and get nothing just to spite us. Great PR that would be in dealing with a guy suffering from depression, think about it buddy :rolleyes:

Do you really want to play hard ball with someone who has a mental illness? Great club you support if so.

Ive heard of selling high before but I think you took the recreational green stuff to heart here….

But its your opinion so have at it.

Just don't expect it to happen…

GO Catters

No we don't really in this instance. We want him, yes, but mindless, stupid and ill considered value of someone who had retired and you were never going to have play for you again is laughable.

Not to mention Size Queen.

Dat bass.
datass.gif

Pretty darn good, but I really like this one. I don't know if this is gonna work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bomber is set to be announced as the new Gold Coast coach before the end of the week according to a tweet I just saw from superfooty

Now we just need infractions to drop, Hird to get the arse and I'll be really happy

And laughing

A lot

Also get around me on Twitter if it happens, I'll light it up
:D

Bomber is set to be announced as the new Gold Coast coach before the end of the week according to a tweet I just saw from superfooty

Now we just need infractions to drop, Hird to get the arse and I'll be really happy

And laughing

A lot

So when's the Ablett "Welcome Home" party kicking off?

I'll bring cake :D

And laughing

A lot

Whoops posted this in the wrong thread... should be in the non geelong discussion one!

We are getting screwed on that trade.

You think? Disagree. Although in light of Christensen going, Varcoe may be a need but he is 26 and has underperformed for years. In his place we are getting a forward who is capable of very good football in a position we are crying out for somebody. Its worth the risk in my opinion.

You think? Disagree. Although in light of Christensen going, Varcoe may be a need but he is 26 and has underperformed for years. In his place we are getting a forward who is capable of very good football in a position we are crying out for somebody. Its worth the risk in my opinion.
Varcoe's form in the last month was very good. Clark is as injury riddled as Vardy and Simpson and is also 26. Varcoe is also contracted which means he should only go if we get overs.

Varcoe's form in the last month was very good. Clark is as injury riddled as Vardy and Simpson and is also 26. Varcoe is also contracted which means he should only go if we get overs.

Varcoe's form for a month of football shouldnt sway what he hasnt produced long term. We have a number of younger players who can play his role and become better players, such as Bews, Thurlow, Lang, etc. Clark on the other hand stands head and shoulders above any other 2nd forward we currently have and would instantly improve our side. If mentally and physically fit of course, which Geelong would no doubt have thoroughly researched.

Varcoe's form for a month of football shouldnt sway what he hasnt produced long term. We have a number of younger players who can play his role and become better players, such as Bews, Thurlow, Lang, etc. Clark on the other hand stands head and shoulders above any other 2nd forward we currently have and would instantly improve our side. If mentally and physically fit of course, which Geelong would no doubt have thoroughly researched.

Just like McIntosh.

Varcoe to Pies….Lamumba to Melbourne…Clark to Geelong.

Simple.
The question is, for me, what do we need? I think speed and class in the mid-field and a ruckman. We will need to soon consider replacing an ageing key position back line but Lonergan, Taylor and Rivers are not ready for a retirement home yet, and we have a couple of options coming along. I am honestly not sure what Clark offers. If he can play first ruck, and play well then go for it, but if he is a KPF who can ruck a bit we have Walker/Vardy who are younger.

Losing Varcoe would be a disaster. I know I have criticised him this year (like many others) but he came good at the end of the season. He may not be as fast as he was a few years ago but in those last few games he was fast and skillful and seemed to have grown a new heart. 150 games is an investment and he is 26, we are also looking at the possibility of losing Bundy. Don't do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back