Trade Radio 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

It's meant to be unequal though, because losing an important player will likely hurt a club finishing lower than a club finishing higher. It's not an ideal system and can lead to silly situations like Frawley/Buddy but there is a logic behind it that gets overlooked when people are scrambling to compare compo picks for different players.

I don't want to argue too hard on this, as it is what it is, but where a club finishes on the ladder shouldn't really come into what compensation a club gets for their player/s.

If for example Hawks finished last the year Buddy left, they would have received Pick 2. Compare that to Pick 3 for Frawley and it is still way unders. I get your logic, I just feel the system could be fairer. Perhaps have the famous "List Manager' Terry Wallace decide what Compo is provided, rather than attach it to individual club picks. (Please read last sentence in sarcasm font!)

I don't want to argue too hard on this, as it is what it is, but where a club finishes on the ladder shouldn't really come into what compensation a club gets for their player/s.

If for example Hawks finished last the year Buddy left, they would have received Pick 2. Compare that to Pick 3 for Frawley and it is still way unders. I get your logic, I just feel the system could be fairer. Perhaps have the famous "List Manager' Terry Wallace decide what Compo is provided, rather than attach it to individual club picks. (Please read last sentence in sarcasm font!)

It's not 'fair' but its one way of trying to help the lower teams by giving them a higher pick for when a player leaves than teams already at the top of the ladder. So you could argue it's good for 'equalisation'.

I agree it's not ideal, but what is the alternative? The AFL just determines an equivalent pick value for a player leaving? That would open up just as many concerns I reckon.

You'd get just as many people annoyed at Hawthorn winning the flag and then getting pick one for Buddy leaving.

I agree it's not ideal, but what is the alternative? The AFL just determines an equivalent pick value for a player leaving? That would open up just as many concerns I reckon.

You'd get just as many people annoyed at Hawthorn winning the flag and then getting pick one for Buddy leaving.
Per my first post, IMO the alternative is No Compensation.

Can't agree with your last part, as I think 'most reasonable' people would see that Pick 1 as being an appropriate compensation for losing arguably one of the best players in the comp. I do agree it would open just as many cans of worms though, hence why I believe no compensation to be the better option. Clubs then know that they lose these players for nada, and perhaps fight harder to retain them?

I don't think you could ever have 'fair' compensation, would be too easy for teams to build super teams as teams would be more inclined to let players go to get a heap of draft picks and then other teams could pick up 4-5 RFA's in a year!
Imagine (as an example) West Coast letting NN, Gaff and Shuey go as RFA's in one year, could end up with 5-6 top ten draft pics!!! Then we end up with GWS type dynasties all the time!!

Just do away with compo for FA entirely and ban the top 4 from picking up FAs each year.

Simple.

Does anyone else listen to Wallace talk and think how the **** could this guy motivate a playing group?

Interesting but potentially crippling to teams 2-4. Maybe just the team that wins it?

I think banning the top 4 from acquiring free agents might be a bridge too far, if you happen to have teams 5/6 particularly close to the 4 then that kind of intervention may decide the premiership. Even though that's unlikely to be the difference I think people would always perceive it to be if the player in question is a Franklin/Ablett type. Is that an outcome people want? I don't know how else you would incentivise players to want to go to other teams though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think you could ever have 'fair' compensation, would be too easy for teams to build super teams as teams would be more inclined to let players go to get a heap of draft picks and then other teams could pick up 4-5 RFA's in a year!
Imagine (as an example) West Coast letting NN, Gaff and Shuey go as RFA's in one year, could end up with 5-6 top ten draft pics!!! Then we end up with GWS type dynasties all the time!!

Don't forget that rookies take time to develop

I really don't want to see the afl determining compo based on their views of playing abilities. Collingwood did that based on the contract. Much fairer and less prone to corruption and favouritism.

Not sure if serious

It's not 'fair' but its one way of trying to help the lower teams by giving them a higher pick for when a player leaves than teams already at the top of the ladder. So you could argue it's good for 'equalisation'.
Free Agency isn't designed to have anything to do with equalisation. Common misconception.
It's designed to benefit teams at one end of the ladder or the other. It's designed to benefit teams at all in fact, only players

Just do away with compo for FA entirely and ban the top 4 from picking up FAs each year.

Simple.

Does anyone else listen to Wallace talk and think how the **** could this guy motivate a playing group?

What is the point?

The Top 4 (Dogs, Swans, Cats and GWS) have not picked up any free agents so far.

However, compensation should never be more than the player is worth.

No need to eliminate compensation but just move it to early third round picks.

That way it still encourages teams to trade first.

Was Cam Luke suggesting that teams should keep the same number of points if compo comes in?

Does he realise that there is a ser number of total points each draft?

I missed some of it so maybe that isn't what he was suggesting.

We are not mature enough as an industry to cope, but I've often wondered if we should simply have an auction for each pick.

Clubs get a defined number of picks, each with a value. The total value of these picks is allocated to each club. Obviously, Pick 1, 19, 37 etc will have more value than 18, 36, 54 etc.

Based upon your number of selections and total points, each club can bid for Pick 1 or any individual pick. So if you really need a KPF and you cannot get Pick 1 by trade, you could add Picks 5 and 12 to outbid (for example - haven't checked the points total) to win the auction for Pick 1, although that would leave you less points to use for other players.

Its a potentially huge story
A caller asks about Fyfe and Barrett shuts him down quickly with "Fyfe will be a Docker in 2017 so we won't be talking about him any more in this trade window", then proceeds to bang on about Heeney being out of contract in 2018 for the 35th time...

This is why we get you to do this Terry, it's because you're so good at this Terry is why we get you to do it. You don't care who feathers ou ruffle terry, which is why you're so good at this.

FFS Damo, drink his cum and **** off already

This is why we get you to do this Terry, it's because you're so good at this Terry is why we get you to do it. You don't care who feathers ou ruffle terry, which is why you're so good at this.

FFS Damo, drink his cum and **** off already

He just calls it as he sees it does Terry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back