Player Watch Jordan Dawson - Our New Captain!

Remove this Banner Ad

The formality that a player has signed with his club of choice (subject to a trade being done of course).

Players have all of the power these days. A deal always gets done.

I'm happy to be given an example of an uncontracted player not getting to his club of choice.
Nick Stevens?

That was almost 20yrs ago, and it was only because Port refused the trade and wanted to do some chest beating. They ended up with nothing when they could have had something.
You asked for an example of an uncontracted player not getting to his choice. I gave you an example
He was also moving to Melbourne where both Collingwood and Carlton are based.

Not sure a Vic or Qld club would select a Sydney-based player who wants to move home to SA.
See above

The formality that a player has signed with his club of choice (subject to a trade being done of course).

I'm happy to be given an example of an uncontracted player not getting to his club of choice.
O'Keefe?

From memory he was uncontracted and signed a new 4-5 year deal after his trade request failed

That woukd have been around 2009?

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

if port offered 500k over 4 and we offered 600k over 5….
I think the swans would have offered around 600k. We likely would have offered 650k plus a potential to earn around 700 with bonuses. I think powaa would have got to at least what Sydney offered.

Agree the deal will definitely get done. I would presume it most likely has already been sorted prior to today's announcement. Dawson would have been given an assurance that we will deal fairly with the swans. Would be something like pick 23 and our future 2nd if I had to guess. The other option would be trading 4 to Richmond for 7 and 16. Keeping 7 and trading 16 for Dawson. You don't haggle over elite players which finishing 3rd in their b & f proves. Just payup and get it sorted. You haggle over players like Hately.

Last edited:
We spend a lot of time caring about what Port/their supporters think or do...

Onto the actual point, this is a fantastic get and will really strengthen our side and add to what is a weakness with his elite kicking skills. Nice to see us target someone and get our man.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick stevens

Edit..sorry i was a johnny come lately to that discussion. It looks like his name was discussed

From this year, he played the first half at half back then moved up to the wing for most of the second half, which is where he played his best football.

I think we can use him in both but mostly wing. Seedsman on one wing, Dawson the other, which leaves Sholl out the team. Assume Milera can rotate there but hopefully he stays at HB.

Do we offer Sholl? I like him, but we need to offer something. It was a little concerning how he flamed out after a big preseason, but played some great footy in the first few weeks. I'd rather keep him but yeah, 2nd rounder aint going to cut it.

I'd be okay with trading Milera (on a stupid contract though), given his body it's hard to see him consolidating a regular midfield role, hes a solid half back though. Waste of time playing him forward.

I wouldn't be surprised if they asked for Strachan.

I'd like to see McAsey with a full preseason before trading him.

Other players to consider letting go - Worrell, McPherson, Hamil.

I'd value Dawson at around pick 10.

isn't Dawsons manager Michael Doughty - ex crows. You'd want to hope he does not feel so free to pass that sort of stuff on to a known Port media person

its not a tribal schoolyard affair

those things don’t matter

part of an agents job is cultivating good relations with media.

part of a media persona’s job is cultivating sources

this is professional business. Not port sucks boo-yah!

its not a tribal schoolyard affair

those things don’t matter

part of an agents job is cultivating good relations with media.

part of a media persona’s job is cultivating sources

this is professional business. Not port sucks boo-yah!
Yes but you would think managers would also pick their poison too and would be selective on who they pass certain info on to

they don’t sign anything ahead of a trade

all they give is an informal nod that they will accept a trade, which people then try to arrange

From this year, he played the first half at half back then moved up to the wing for most of the second half, which is where he played his best football.

I think we can use him in both but mostly wing. Seedsman on one wing, Dawson the other, which leaves Sholl out the team. Assume Milera can rotate there but hopefully he stays at HB.

Do we offer Sholl? I like him, but we need to offer something. It was a little concerning how he flamed out after a big preseason, but played some great footy in the first few weeks. I'd rather keep him but yeah, 2nd rounder aint going to cut it.

I'd be okay with trading Milera (on a stupid contract though), given his body it's hard to see him consolidating a regular midfield role, hes a solid half back though. Waste of time playing him forward.

I wouldn't be surprised if they asked for Strachan.

I'd like to see McAsey with a full preseason before trading him.

Other players to consider letting go - Worrell, McPherson, Hamil.

I'd value Dawson at around pick 10.
We have to get Dawson delivering the ball into our forward line. He should be fogartys best friend. Dawson is a great kick for goal as well and I think he can kick 30 plus goals next year. I think Worrell is an option that may be involved in a trade and possibly Smith if he is interested in leaving. Agree that Sholl wouldn't be liking the Dawson acquisition along with Milera returning. Not sure if Sydney would be interested in Hamill or Sholl. That was a smart play to sign up Berry, Pedlar and Cook to make sure that Sydney didn't even bring them up. They could be interested in Himmelberg with Buddy getting long in the tooth and Blakey going back to defence. Himmelberg can ruck as well which would be of interest to them.

Last edited:
We have to get Dawson delivering the ball into our forward line. He should be fogartys best friend. Dawson is a great kick for goal as well and I think he can kick 30 plus goals next year. I think Worrell is an option that may be involved in a trade and possibly Smith if he is interested in leaving. Agree that Sholl wouldn't be liking the Dawson acquisition along with Milera returning. Not sure if Sydney would be interested in Hamill or Sholl. That was a smart play to sign up Berry, Pedlar and Cook to make sure that Sydney didn't even bring them up. They could be interested in Himmelberg with Buddy getting long in the tooth and Blakey going back to defence.

With Sydney’s cap position it’s almost certain they won’t want a player in return for Dawson but a draft pick/s. Just so they can pay the minimum Rookie wage and not take on existing contracts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back