List Mgmt. Trade targets 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those advocating we trade in a ruck like Grundy, who are you pushing out of our forward line? Going to be very tall with all of Dixon, Marshall, Georgiades and Finlayson down there.

Getting a ruck only works when Dixon is on retirement and Marshall has the body to be the number 1 KPF.
Finlayson I see as a genuine utility. He can play half back, wing, forward - wherever the team needs him to be. That's why he starts on the bench. I see him as a jack of all trades type in that I wouldn't probably start him on the field ahead of other more faster players, but he's a better secondary option than most. He's got a good tank, competes well etc.

From his draft profile:

A very athletic type, in defence he’s shown promise as an offensive minded defender with his ability to read the play and zone off to intercept mark a highlight. Defensively he has a bit to work on with his slender frame, as he gets occasionally outbodied and struggles to close down leads. Like Jack Watts, if Finlayson is to be played in defence, he may be best suited to playing on smaller opponents, third talls and resting rucks which would give him the luxury of being able to zone off and take advantage of his strong intercept game. He projects as someone who could perform the loose man role to a high level.

When played forward, Finlayson is able to really firm up a teams structure. While capable of playing deep where he uses his smarts and athleticism to find space inside 50, his best work is done as a true centre half forward running between the arcs. A high level athlete, Finlayson not only offers some reasonable speed and great agility, but he’s also very fit and capable of running most defenders off their feet and constantly providing a link up target on the wings. When his leads are ignored, he remains in the play, often flanking contests and looking for the handball receive. He’s a one grab mark and below the knees he’s excellent with his ability to quickly pick the ball up without fumbling a highlight. In a lot of ways Finlayson plays like somebody 10 centimetres smaller.

While Jeremy Finlayson is a project, he offers a prospective club a number of options. If he ends up at GWS, it’s likely he’ll be developed as a defender. Another club might prefer his ability to play as that second key forward in the Nick Riewoldt mold, providing a hard working target up the field while creating space for a dominant forward. Finlayson could also be developed as a wingman in the Marco Paparone role, with his endurance, composure in traffic, ground level ability and ability to find space and link up all well suited to playing through the middle, though he doesn’t have the frame to ever be a dominant inside presence.

I think if you have a 26 year old that has kicked 40 goals in an AFL season, you should play him as a fwd. Not Ruck, not wing, not back. He's a fwd. I truly think watching him lead at the ball with no Charlie in the side is what kick started Marshall's season.
This. He also gave a few mids a serve when they banged it over or on his head rather than in front of him.

Funny how it’s taken a fwd from another team to demand what the coaches should have been demanding for years.

What’s this crap about Georgiades as a mid? Field play Georgi is one of the dumbest players we have on our list. Constantly makes the wrong decision and cannot execute basic skills. The bloke is key forward and only key forward.

Let him develop as a simple see ball, get ball forward and go to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What’s this crap about Georgiades as a mid? Field play Georgi is one of the dumbest players we have on our list. Constantly makes the wrong decision and cannot execute basic skills. The bloke is key forward and only key forward.

I'd try Bergman as a mid.

100%
we have plenty of players who could become mids well before id try a excellent marking and uyp the ground leading link up forward!

Bergman, Sinn, Jones, Duursma etc etc

I believe Finlayson got tried as a winger at gws as well?

If so it was very briefly. Not long enough to really assess his potential in that role. I think his attributes would suit him to that role although he is one of several options we have. I have ve been impressed with how good his ground level game and field kicking skills have been this year.

I think that when you have a
  • genuine lead up marking tall
  • averaging 1.6 goals, 0.7 assists and 57% GA over 51 games before this season (including 15 shortened games in 2020)
  • with an athletic ground level game and good skills
  • that can play second ruck at stoppages
you play him up forward as much as possible with stints in the ruck and possibly on the wing as required.

CLUBS are circling Greater Western Sydney midfielder Jacob Hopper for a potential pre-agency move this year.
Hopper qualifies as a free agent in 2023 and with one year left on his contract is being targeted by Victorian clubs looking to bolster their midfield.
Geelong and Richmond are among the clubs linked to the star ball-winner, with recent industry discussion suggesting the 25-year-old, who has flirted with a trade to Victorian previously, could be gettable. Essendon, too, has previously looked at Hopper and would likely consider again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s pretty obvious we need a small pressure forward for those critical inside 50 tackles

A ruckman who is last in hitouts but leads the league in ground ball gets (with some tackles added in) would also be high on the priority list

It says half back flankers with good foot skills we don’t actually have many of them lol
But dbj, Bonner possibly Bergman if right price could be shipped off

Or some1 like Dbj and our future 3rd for there pick 31 and 44
Bundle 31 and 44 with our picks 48 and 56 to Brisbane for pick 15
Get pick 19 for Amon compensation and all of a sudden we have 3 pretty much 1st rounders to play with and the coveted pick 19 is always well sought after as the start of 2nd round for teams trying for players still available

So it’d be Dbj 2 3rd rounders and a 4 th rounder for pick 15

Or some1 like Dbj and our future 3rd for there pick 31 and 44
Bundle 31 and 44 with our picks 48 and 56 to Brisbane for pick 15
Get pick 19 for Amon compensation and all of a sudden we have 3 pretty much 1st rounders to play with and the coveted pick 19 is always well sought after as the start of 2nd round for teams trying for players still available

So it’d be Dbj 2 3rd rounders and a 4 th rounder for pick 15
You know our season is officially shot when the paperclip trades come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back