Opinion Ty Zantuck’s mother says years of painkilling injections has ruined his life

Remove this Banner Ad

Not downplaying the seriousness of Ty's injury or condition by any means but just by coincidence in our extended family we have a former AFL player who is currently recovering from their second spinal fusion surgery and god knows how many laminectomy who has nothing but praise from the support of the AFL and the AFLPA.

I do however hope all the best for Ty and hope he gets some support and relief soon.

Will be pretty hard for him to win this case you would think with having gone to another club in the AFL having to pass a medical then post AFL playing footy at lower level.

Questioning doctors 20 years after wont be easy to prove
Yeah that's the big one, if it was that bad why'd he continue playing of his free will after his AFL career.

I personally have just finished my court battle with a very prominent company in Australia for workplace injuries and finally settled, and I must say the scrutiny these lawyers put you under is incredible, any and every piece of medical history is scrutinized, any and every piece of action you have taken before and after your injury is scrutinized, it literally is like walking a tight rope when it comes to things like this.

I hope the club no matter what the outcome be look after Ty in some form or another, no person deserves to go through life in constant pain and suffering.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

I mean in how injuries are dealt with......are we there yet? no.
still got a long way to go but as in everything that demands the highest level of physical performance out of the human body we are a long way off from protecting it.
the afl have made steps in the right direction to protect players, no one knows where to draw the line between safety and performance. Does anyone want to see F1 cars go around the track at 100kms an hour? No.
and you would be the first to complain if it was bruise free aflx style game,
The game is bruise-free now but the point is when players get injured they are mistreated in the form of jabs go back out there you'll be fine and that comes from Drs who should know better. How many times you hear a commentator say hell be right they'll give him an injection will be back on.
Let's put it this way if the Essendon players knew what they were given would they have done it and if you were told this jabs will get you back out there but in a few year's time you will have scarring effects would you accept the jabs? Players are putting their lives in the hands of the clubs and Dr's believing that is best for them. The AFL don't care clubs don't care the show must go on so they can line their own pockets example S Tucks widow not only has she lost her husband the AFL lawyers are taking her to the cleaners.

Yeah that's the big one, if it was that bad why'd he continue playing of his free will after his AFL career.

I personally have just finished my court battle with a very prominent company in Australia for workplace injuries and finally settled, and I must say the scrutiny these lawyers put you under is incredible, any and every piece of medical history is scrutinized, any and every piece of action you have taken before and after your injury is scrutinized, it literally is like walking a tight rope when it comes to things like this.

I hope the club no matter what the outcome be look after Ty in some form or another, no person deserves to go through life in constant pain and suffering.

The longer they drag it the more they make this is the way lol. Took me 4 years to get compensated and the lawyers got more than what I got. Took 2 months for my tdl to be approved and paid out so go figure. The second is a set fee the other well we all know.

The game is bruise-free now but the point is when players get injured they are mistreated in the form of jabs go back out there you'll be fine and that comes from Drs who should know better. How many times you hear a commentator say hell be right they'll give him an injection will be back on.
Let's put it this way if the Essendon players knew what they were given would they have done it and if you were told this jabs will get you back out there but in a few year's time you will have scarring effects would you accept the jabs? Players are putting their lives in the hands of the clubs and Dr's believing that is best for them. The AFL don't care clubs don't care the show must go on so they can line their own pockets example S Tucks widow not only has she lost her husband the AFL lawyers are taking her to the cleaners.
Yes l agree, hence my post which you completely missed.

Peter Larkin reckons he has to prove what Richmond did was out of step with what the rest of the league was doing at the time.

I would think he could argue that the Docs didn’t give him informed consent.
And that’s not just a paper to sign, that’s explaining the risks, benefits, expectations and reasoning for what they are doing, fully, and making sure he understood it.

I very much doubt that happened.

I just read the article. I'm no lawyer but Larkin's argument doesn't make much sense to me. If everyone was doing the wrong thing then surely that just means other clubs/the AFL should be held to account by anyone who was affected in similar ways.

Forget CTE, it feels like this could be the start of a legal avalanche for the AFL. In the 00's when the off-field arms race was going on the investment into fitness guru's and supliment chemists got ridiculously out of hand culminating in the Essendon ASADA scandal. The soft cap wasn't put in place as an equalisation measure.

The footy field is a workplace. This is going back a while but but read Shane Crawford’s story with his mum.
Single mum worked at the club when u could still smoke indoors. She was a non smoker and exposed to passive smoke in her workplace.

We would never tolerate exposure to known carcinogens in any other workplace but in a pub it is OK? Disgraceful behaviour by employers.

Average AFL career is only 2.4 years and the average wage is not that great. AFL is a wonderful sport and does so much good to bring communities together and harness kids’ energy.

But I would never want my kids to become professional players. You could imagine the pressure these guys are under to take all manor of drugs.

Like most things in society nowadays it's just not right to look at history through a 2021 lens.
Of course injuries weren't treated that well, of course the wrong attitude existed inside footy clubs etc...but at the time they did the best they could or used the best knowledge at hand.
Wait another 20 years and the AFL will get sued because the 12 day concussion ban was 8 days too short.
I feel for these guys who are suffering now due to techniques employed years ago. But where do you draw the line?
Someone close to me was capt of Carlton u/19s with a big future ahead of him. Hurt his knee. The standard procedure back then was to REMOVE his cartilage. Great for a short period then the bone on bone kicked in and he was finished. Should he sue too?
THere would be heaps that received the same treatment.

p.s. Obviously if the docs knew they were doing the wrong thing by Ty then throw the book at them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like most things in society nowadays it's just not right to look at history through a 2021 lens.
Of course injuries weren't treated that well, of course the wrong attitude existed inside footy clubs etc...but at the time they did the best they could or used the best knowledge at hand.
Wait another 20 years and the AFL will get sued because the 12 day concussion ban was 8 days too short.
I feel for these guys who are suffering now due to techniques employed years ago. But where do you draw the line?
Someone close to me was capt of Carlton u/19s with a big future ahead of him. Hurt his knee. The standard procedure back then was to REMOVE his cartilage. Great for a short period then the bone on bone kicked in and he was finished. Should he sue too?

p.s. Obviously if the docs knew they were doing the wrong thing by Ty then throw the book at them.
won't be just the docs, it'll be the club too.

I think the players association have something in place to look after ex players with injuries etc

Whats another point of conjecture is that officially all the clubs are owned by the AFL and all its players are employee's of the AFL
Zantuck suing Richmond and the doctors appears to be directed at the doctors and negligence with the injections etc

I would be thinking his lawyer is working probono on this and is probably trying to make a name here as this will be a very expensive case to pay
We have alot of very very good lawyers associated with the club including peggy and her associates where she works

Not going to be an easy case for Ty

Just had a look, every game Zantuck played in 04 had at least one of (usually 2) Ottens, Stafford, Hall and Marsh.

I was referring to key defenders, the end of the ground Zantuck played.

We had only one key defender available (Hall - who had to play in the ruck at times, sometimes full games) along with Gaspar coming back from a knee reco and he was so cooked we played him at CHF because he couldn't move well enough to play his old role. If you thought I meant the whole ground, you also missed Richo along with Gaspar.

Zantuck was 188cm, he was never intended to be playing as a FB, he was forced to because we spent most of that era with injured key talls. He himself only managed 14 games that year.

Not sure why you'd bother spending significant time making a pedantic 'correction' (which in itself used incorrect data) when the point I was making - that he was obliged to play because of other injuries to KPD's - was in no way altered by your input, but hey, whatever floats your boat. :thumbsu:

I was referring to key defenders, the end of the ground Zantuck played.

We had only one key defender available (Hall - who had to play in the ruck at times, sometimes full games) along with Gaspar coming back from a knee reco and he was so cooked we played him at CHF because he couldn't move well enough to play his old role. If you thought I meant the whole ground, you also missed Richo along with Gaspar.

Zantuck was 188cm, he was never intended to be playing as a FB, he was forced to because we spent most of that era with injured key talls. He himself only managed 14 games that year.

Not sure why you'd bother spending significant time making a pedantic 'correction' (which in itself used incorrect data) when the point I was making - that he was obliged to play because of other injuries to KPD's - was in no way altered by your input, but hey, whatever floats your boat. :thumbsu:

Apologies if I offended you, genuinely not my intent.

Didn't Bowden win the B and F in 04? I remember A. Kellaway played in the ruck one day against Port for a bit that year so I thought you might have been referring to the ruck when you said there were games with no-one over 190cm. All the best

Agree on everything apart from the Essendon players, they knew what they were getting, anyone that believes otherwise believes in Santa Claus , the cats players back in preseason 07 also knew what they were getting

Join the club

I'm thinking the club will reach into its pockets and attempt to settle the claims at a conference rather than face the negative PR of defending proceedings all the way to judgement.

I'm also thinking that the AFL will try and massage this outcome as well, since the precedential value of a judgement might have far reaching effects for both past and present players.

Last edited:
He went and played for Essendon tgen he went and played suburban footy for years after Richmond. Why was he playing all those years afterwards if he was so bad. He was being passed fit to play at all those clubs. Im sorry for him but i dont think he can blame richmond and no one can disprove that he didnt do major damage whilst playing on for years in suburban footy which he himself decided to do.

I'm thinking the club will reach into its pockets and attempt to settle the claims at a conference rather than face the negative PR of defending proceedings all the way to judgement.

I'm also thinking that the AFL will try and massage this outcome as well, since the precedential value of a judgement might have far reaching effects for both past and present players.

*I am a lawyer, but this is not legal advice.
Agree, as very few head to court. A settlement where liability isn’t accepted, rather a gratuitous payment of support.

Agree, as very few head to court. A settlement where liability isn’t accepted, rather a gratuitous payment of support.

I'd suggest giving the club with the red sash a call as well and enquiring if they would like to contribute to the goodwill payment in support of Ty given he would likely have done a medical there... Knowing the history of record keeping and injections down there I'm sure they are sweating on the outcome of this one and wouldn't like it hird in court....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back