MMA-UFC UFC 284 - Makhachev v Volkanovski

Remove this Banner Ad

How much did those 'meet and greet' events cost? Were they worth it?

As for the card itself, I don't know if I will stay up to watch it, or somehow procure it to watch on delay the next day.

I'm in a shocking timezone for most UFC events.

Like a lot of you, my head says Islam easy but my heart says Alex has a fighting chance.

Has there been much msm coverage of the event in Australia?

If Alex were to pull this off, it would be one of the greatest achievements in Aus sporting history.

In my lifetime you have:

* The cricketers winning three ODI world cups in a row

* Cathy Freeman in Sydney

* The swimmers (Thorpe and Klim and co) especially that relay win vs the Yanks

* Adam Scott winning the Masters / Cam Smith winning the Open

* 2003 Davis Cup (Hewitt, the Scud, the Woodies)

* Making it out of the group stage in the 2022 football WC (I'm not joking, that was huge)

* Bradbury winning gold (again, not joking)

* Ricciardo winning at Monaco in '18 (rivaled by his win in a f*n McLaren in Italy '21)

I don't follow hockey or basketball or other sports, maybe I have missed something.

But if Alex were to win on Sunday morning, I would have that up there with any other individual sporting achievement on that list.

(It is difficult to compare team sports with individual sports)

Somehow I get the feeling that if you were to ask 100 random Aussie guys on the street, 'who is the featherweight UFC champ?', you'd be lucky if even five knew the answer.

Hope I'm wrong.

******* hate Izzy but I gotta respect how much of a team player he is. Seems genuinely as passionate about Volk being double champ as he was about himself. Having someone like Izzy with you every step of the way has gotta be powerful that city kick boxing setup is a ripper

Doors open at 6am.
It's going to be a messy crowd lol

Going to be a lot of buckled campaigners going through from Saturday night

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

******* hate Izzy but I gotta respect how much of a team player he is. Seems genuinely as passionate about Volk being double champ as he was about himself. Having someone like Izzy with you every step of the way has gotta be powerful that city kick boxing setup is a ripper
Izzy is a very humble, nice dude off camera from my own experience. I rekon Volk is some chance in the first couple rounds to crack him, otherwise i think Islam will get a DEC win.

Volkanovski looks super fit and confident in this face off video:
hope he gets 5 rounds!
I'm giving him a better chance than i originally thought. can't imagine Islam losing unless the judging is biased to the Aussies.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Featherweight champ Volkanovski follows his masterclass win over his great rival with an announcement he would step up to fight at lightweight. Goes to Abu Dhabi and serves as the back-up for the LW title fight. New LW champ Makhachev dominates his opponent then unexpectedly calls Volkanovski into the cage and into a title fight, in the challenger's home country. Possibly the two best fighters in the world right now; certainly two of the most complete and confident. A huge favourite but a plethora of unknowns. An entire country behind the challenger's back and greatness up for grabs.

I couldn't be more hyped for this.

Featherweight champ Volkanovski follows his masterclass win over his great rival with an announcement he would step up to fight at lightweight. Goes to Abu Dhabi and serves as the back-up for the LW title fight. New LW champ Makhachev dominates his opponent then unexpectedly calls Volkanovski into the cage and into a title fight, in the challenger's home country. Possibly the two best fighters in the world right now; certainly two of the most complete and confident. A huge favourite but a plethora of unknowns. An entire country behind the challenger's back and greatness up for grabs.

I couldn't be more hyped for this.
and no need for any I'm gonna eat your children then throw chairs at them $hit gutter hyperbole

Bisping going off about the decision in the first fight.

I thought the Brazilian took the first round, yet Bisping (and Dom) were carrying on as though it was clearly The Russian's.

Not the robbery they are trying to say. Maybe a bad decision (maybe) but not a robbery.

Hope this isn't how these two are going to carry on all day.

Bisping going off about the decision in the first fight.

I thought the Brazilian took the first round, yet Bisping (and Dom) were carrying on as though it was clearly The Russian's.

Not the robbery they are trying to say. Maybe a bad decision (maybe) but not a robbery.

Hope this isn't how these two are going to carry on all day.

Slight improvement on DC and Rogan though I guess.

and no need for any I'm gonna eat your children then throw chairs at them $hit gutter hyperbole
The fight just sells itself, they both know that. Also evidenced by the fact the UFC did basically no promotion until fight week, and still it's going to sell like crazy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back