VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the crux of the issue is that there are simply too many clubs, its unsustainable and some consolidation of some that dont make sense either location, strategic and facility wise would be beneficial for all. Its often-stubborn administrators who enjoy the power who are unwilling to look at merging that lead to the downdall. With the boom of girls footy, having availability to footy grounds is going to become a bigger issue and removing these from the unsustainable clubs should be a priority for local councils and the VAFA and reallocating them where they can be better utilised.

I think the crux of the issue is that there are simply too many clubs, its unsustainable and some consolidation of some that dont make sense either location, strategic and facility wise would be beneficial for all. Its often-stubborn administrators who enjoy the power who are unwilling to look at merging that lead to the downdall. With the boom of girls footy, having availability to footy grounds is going to become a bigger issue and removing these from the unsustainable clubs should be a priority for local councils and the VAFA and reallocating them where they can be better utilised.

While unfortunate - I think this is correct. Not just in the VAFA but I know the SFL should also consider similar decisions.

Geez you put some mayo on this ???? Been to quite a few SFNL games and have always seen oppo in the rooms for the after match.
The post was about home team players not bothering to come in to the rooms if you read it, any opposition players are a bonus, Cranbourne always support away games, watch local football weekly and see it , even in a big Vafa B Grade local game last weekend people from the lunch event made up half the after drinks

My idea is to reduce sections sizes in the Divisions from 10 teams to 8. Currently, the gap between the top and bottom team in any year is such that there is large flogging givens to the bottom side. Consequently numbers drop off and it is these players who disappear (who wants to get flogged every week?) to other clubs or from the game for good. With only 8 teams in a section then there is more likelihood of an even competition even if there is inequalities in the draw and playing some teams away twice.
Random silly thoughts so humour me but:

8 teams

1 up & 1 down

Longer mid season break when Winter is at its worst & players are travelling anyway. Think about another weeks break?

For players who still want to participate during break split each Division into 2x 4 groups & play 9-12(?) a side match sim/touch type games (2x 20 minutes?) on half a ground. Could have 2 games if sufficient numbers. Play each team over 3 weeks

Be flexible - could play Thursday, Friday night or Saturday/Sunday.

Anyway that’s enough rambling thoughts!

Random silly thoughts so humour me but:

8 teams

1 up & 1 down

Longer mid season break when Winter is at its worst & players are travelling anyway. Think about another weeks break?

For players who still want to participate during break split each Division into 2x 4 groups & play 9-12(?) a side match sim/touch type games (2x 20 minutes?) on half a ground. Could have 2 games if sufficient numbers. Play each team over 3 weeks

Be flexible - could play Thursday, Friday night or Saturday/Sunday.

Anyway that’s enough rambling thoughts!

Love the idea of 8 team divisions and a peak winter break.

Thing for premier comps 1 up 1 down makes sense.

For divisions 2 up 2 down.

Premier 1 down
Premier b 1 up 1 down
Premier c 1 up 2 down
Div 1 2 up 2 down
Div 2 2 up 2 down
Div 3 2 up 2 down
Div 4 2 up

In addition to address teams having multiple 3rds or u19s any additional team should have to play in the thirds/19s grade just below their other one.

E.g. xavs 5ths would be required to play 1 grade below 4ths

Glen eira 19b would be required to play 1 grade below 19a

This will help encourage players to 'find their level' instead of playing for a strong club I their 5th team and beating up on a weaker club.

My idea is to reduce sections sizes in the Divisions from 10 teams to 8. Currently, the gap between the top and bottom team in any year is such that there is large flogging givens to the bottom side. Consequently numbers drop off and it is these players who disappear (who wants to get flogged every week?) to other clubs or from the game for good. With only 8 teams in a section then there is more likelihood of an even competition even if there is inequalities in the draw and playing some teams away twice.
I like it. We can all get misty eyed about the ‘good old days’ but have to just accept that the world has changed and the commitment levels of players, volunteers, supporters, sponsors, umpires etc is not what it once was. An 8 team grades means a 14 round H&A season which reduces the grind on players and the impact on volunteers. Maybe even have a 2-3 week mid season break in the depths of winter.

I have always been in the minority and accept this is not the popular view among most VAFA followers but I personally hate the 2 up, 2 down. Premier goes up, wooden spooner goes down – simple. If you lose a granny you get a chance to make amends the following year in the same grade.

Last edited:
I like it. We can all get misty eyed about the ‘good old days’ but have to just accept that the world has changed and the commitment levels of players, volunteers, supporters, sponsors, umpires etc is not what it once was. An 8 team grades means a 15 round H&A season which reduces the grind on players and the impact on volunteers. Maybe even have a 2-3 week mid season break in the depths of winter.

I have always been in the minority and accept this is not the popular amongts most VAFA followers but I personally hate the 2 up, 2 down. Premier goes up, wooden spooner goes down – simple. If you lose a granny you get a chance to make amends the following year in the same grade.
I love this idea. The team that loses a GF and goes up often has players leave or retire. Staying in the same grade to load up again the following year would eradicate a lot of that player leakage.
8 team Divisions, you could keep Premier grades as 10. 1 up, 1 down in all grades, 14 game season, 2 weekends off in the middle of June over Kings Birthday and the week after.

I love this idea. The team that loses a GF and goes up often has players leave or retire. Staying in the same grade to load up again the following year would eradicate a lot of that player leakage.
8 team Divisions, you could keep Premier grades as 10. 1 up, 1 down in all grades, 14 game season, 2 weekends off in the middle of June over Kings Birthday and the week after.

And remove rep footy.

I like it. We can all get misty eyed about the ‘good old days’ but have to just accept that the world has changed and the commitment levels of players, volunteers, supporters, sponsors, umpires etc is not what it once was. An 8 team grades means a 15 round H&A season which reduces the grind on players and the impact on volunteers. Maybe even have a 2-3 week mid season break in the depths of winter.

I have always been in the minority and accept this is not the popular amongts most VAFA followers but I personally hate the 2 up, 2 down. Premier goes up, wooden spooner goes down – simple. If you lose a granny you get a chance to make amends the following year in the same grade.
I agree 2 up, 2 down makes it hard for clubs going up to stay up, usually a club wins the flag and will then have to spend a year or 2 to bring in recruits to enable them to be competitive in the new grade..1 up and 1 down allows for a really struggling team to move, whilst 1 up allows for a dominant team to progress but too often good teams who are just unlucky get forced down and some clubs that are not in a position to jump get forced up.

The other thing that would be helpful is the VAFA banning clubs returning for preseason prior to Xmas. The season is long enough on players without unnecessary training commitments 4 months prior to the season kicking off.
It’s pretty hard for some clubs to find a ground to train on prior to Christmas. Which in part makes the competition a bit uneven even before the matches start. An old coach I played under used to subscribe you can match fit in 8 weeks if you at the right intensity.

It’s pretty hard for some clubs to find a ground to train on prior to Christmas. Which in part makes the competition a bit uneven even before the matches start. An old coach I played under used to subscribe you can match fit in 8 weeks if you at the right intensity.
I think even AFL clubs are moving in this direction, they were burning players out before the season started. As long as players have a bit of self discipline and dont let themselves fully go over the break then there is absolutley no reason at suburban level anyone needs to train prior to xmas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think even AFL clubs are moving in this direction, they were burning players out before the season started. As long as players have a bit of self discipline and dont let themselves fully go over the break then there is absolutley no reason at suburban level anyone needs to train prior to xmas.
I agree with your comments but some clubs are worried that if they were to start after xmas they would lose potential players who walk in looking for somewhere to play?

I think an 8 team competition in the divisions would work really well. 14 game season is perfect as it probably means blokes will play longer too.

As mentioned previously, I'd like to see the under 19s replaced with an under 23 league that would sit below the senior side with say 6 to 8 over 23s able to play in that team. This should be the same for all premier clubs then thirds teams can follow after this. The divisions can stay at just seniors then reserves.

I agree that a two week mid season bye would be ideal, especially in late June / early July, for everyone involved, from players, coaches, umpires, volunteers as well.

I think an 8 team competition in the divisions would work really well. 14 game season is perfect as it probably means blokes will play longer too.

As mentioned previously, I'd like to see the under 19s replaced with an under 23 league that would sit below the senior side with say 6 to 8 over 23s able to play in that team. This should be the same for all premier clubs then thirds teams can follow after this. The divisions can stay at just seniors then reserves.

I agree that a two week mid season bye would be ideal, especially in late June / early July, for everyone involved, from players, coaches, umpires, volunteers as well.
Two week bye makes all the sense in the world to me. It would allow everyone to make travel plans and miss minimal if any time. That mid 20s early professional would certainly appreciate.

Not a bad call

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Love the idea of 8 team divisions and a peak winter break.

Thing for premier comps 1 up 1 down makes sense.

For divisions 2 up 2 down.

Premier 1 down
Premier b 1 up 1 down
Premier c 1 up 2 down
Div 1 2 up 2 down
Div 2 2 up 2 down
Div 3 2 up 2 down
Div 4 2 up

In addition to address teams having multiple 3rds or u19s any additional team should have to play in the thirds/19s grade just below their other one.

E.g. xavs 5ths would be required to play 1 grade below 4ths

Glen eira 19b would be required to play 1 grade below 19a

This will help encourage players to 'find their level' instead of playing for a strong club I their 5th team and beating up on a weaker club.

It also good if the VAFA pro-rated the affiliation fees for the clubs for the reduced matches being played. If this great idea did get legs.

I'd be okay with them not doing that if the cash could go towards providing more umpires across the league each week.

I agree 2 up, 2 down makes it hard for clubs going up to stay up, usually a club wins the flag and will then have to spend a year or 2 to bring in recruits to enable them to be competitive in the new grade..1 up and 1 down allows for a really struggling team to move, whilst 1 up allows for a dominant team to progress but too often good teams who are just unlucky get forced down and some clubs that are not in a position to jump get forced up.
FWIW don’t think this argument has stacked up at all this season. Runner ups all having better seasons in higher grade. Bernards 10th having a better season than Trinity 9th. 2 up 2 down gives the season more live rubbers.
Prem teams up Blacks (R/U) 7th OH (Prem) 9th
B - OGs (R/U) 5th Monash (Prem) 10th
C - OC (R/U) 1st PEGs (Prem) 3rd
Relegated Prem Bernards (10th) OT (9th)
B - Carey (9th)
C - Uni (9th) Preston (10th)

I'd be okay with them not doing that if the cash could go towards providing more umpires across the league each week.

The issue with umpires is supply, not sure how the extra $ would help provide more umpires if they are not there. It might help with injury management, and umpires also go on holidays mid-year so they deal with the same frustration's clubs face.

We had the double bye prior to Covid and it worked well. Last year in B and this year in C we have had 4 byes (16 Rounds) but never 2 weeks in a row.
Always going to have the travelers but hopefully never in the numbers as we have experienced this year.
Our European team would beat anyone!!

Last edited:
We had the double bye prior to Covid and it worked well. Last year in B and this year in C we have had 4 byes (16 Rounds) but never 2 weeks in a row.
Always going to have the travelers but hopefully never in the numbers as we have experienced this year.
I suspect this is a bit of a one off as everyone makes up for the lost trips that they missed out on during Covid. Most will have got it out of their system by next year, throw interest rates on top of that and anyone with a mortgage will be scaling back travel plans.

Maybe they should relocate some matches to Athens or Barcelona or Paris 😂

VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back