D2 Division 2 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

womack

Senior List
Aug 19, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Say what you like about The Furnace, the atmosphere there is unrivalled in the VAFA. Great acoustics make the crowd seem much larger than it is, and with a big number there today it was terrific. I was at the Parkside end in the last and enjoyed every second.

It was a great note on which to end my umpiring career.

Welcome back to D1 next year guys.
Wowee what a day it’s going off at Parkside tonight the old blokes saying their best flag ever

Well done to Parkside getting it done in both ressies and seniors. Coming back from a 6 goal deficit in the seniors showed they are the real deal.

Credit to OYC. Two teams who finished 8th and 10th in 2022 coming together via a merge and getting all the way to the big dance in year 1 shows they are a club on the rise. Add two womens sides making grade finals and heading to Prem A for the first time.

Unsure of the promotion/relegation situation with OP and Ivanhoe leaving, but with further recruiting, OYC could be competitive in D1, as parkside definitely will be with some super young talent

During the off season I was actively pushing for the merged entity to be relegated as opposed to Powerhouse. My thoughts were they needed a season or two to build as a club and understand what their best football team looked like on paper, as well as out on the field.

I couldn't have been more wrong, I'm amazed that this group were able to come together and work in unison together so quickly. Full credit must go to all involved (on and off the field) for the results they have achieved.

While the ultimate prize eluded them, it's refreshing to see 2 very positive stories coming from 2 very very different football clubs.

Congratulations must also go to Parkside, a worthy premier and certainly a club on the rise.

How little has the comp given the grand final winners any attention the past week, we hear more about bloody old xavs twos winning a semi more then parksides come from behind win , amazing that d4, 3, &2 ones and twos won the flag.

How little has the comp given the grand final winners any attention the past week, we hear more about bloody old xavs twos winning a semi more then parksides come from behind win , amazing that d4, 3, &2 ones and twos won the flag.

Fair call it was some win .. a lot of blokes playing in both teams have come through the junior club and it’s a good place to be at the moment .. best game I’d seen since the night before Carlton v Melb !! Some comeback .. go the Siders !!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fair call it was some win .. a lot of blokes playing in both teams have come through the junior club and it’s a good place to be at the moment .. best game I’d seen since the night before Carlton v Melb !! Some comeback .. go the Siders !!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not sure your coach would agree he is mad melbourne supporter ( played a couple of seasons there as well in the ressies )

Comfortably the best player. I was shocked the parkside ruck who won best on in the grand final wasn't a bit closer - he is a superstar
I was a little disappointed that Elliston didn't get into the top 10. If he kicked straight he could have won the Coleman and still had some huge games.

So with Ivanhoe and parade going to the nfl, do you think we are looking at a 8 team div 2?
Which would mean 16 rounds instead of 18…

Preston
Sth Melb
Brunswick
Wf
Mhsob
Bull temp
Hawthorn
Elsternwick

So with Ivanhoe and parade going to the nfl, do you think we are looking at a 8 team div 2?
Which would mean 16 rounds instead of 18…

Preston
Sth Melb
Brunswick
Wf
Mhsob
Bull temp
Hawthorn
Elsternwick
Confirmed about half an hour ago that it'll be 10/10/11 or 12 (pending Mentone). SMS and Aquinas staying up.

Confirmed from?

Interested if both clubs asked to stay up
The VAFA in a Presidents/Secretaries meeting. SMS definitely did, not sure about Aquinas. Looks like Preston stay up and Canterbury probably comes up too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Makes sense, both were competitive, healthy % for bottom 2. Should be a even comp next year with hawthorn and elsternwick
Honestly felt it was pretty even outside of Parkside this year.

VAFA are yet to confirm all the teams but unless Canterbury want to stay down I'm expecting:

Brunswick
South Melbourne Districts
Whitefriars
MHSOB
Bulleen Templestowe
St Mary's Salesian
Aquinas
Elsternwick
Hawthorn
Canterbury

Should be an interesting year, felt it was very even last year so the three teams from D3 should be confident on doing well next year.

The VAFA in a Presidents/Secretaries meeting. SMS definitely did, not sure about Aquinas. Looks like Preston stay up and Canterbury probably comes up too.
Have heard Canterbury not overly keen on coming up, wattle park possibly taking there place

Have heard Canterbury not overly keen on coming up, wattle park possibly taking there place
Canterbury want a flag, clearly. I'd be telling them to cop it, they were the third best by a street.

Canterbury want a flag, clearly. I'd be telling them to cop it, they were the third best by a street.
Can you demand teams go up (or down for that matter) a grade when they fall outside the relegation and promotion zones??
Is it fair??

Wattle Park would struggle - while they played finals they were a long way off the top two and fell away towards the end of the year.

Would be too good for a combined D3/D4 yet would find it quite difficult in D2.

Canterbury want to win a flag obviously.

Valid point, on last years results they should do it without any trouble.

Surely the league should decide who goes up and down. Canterbury weren't that far away from both grand finalists, whereas Wattle Park come seasons end were a long way off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back