D3 Division 3 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Gia77

All Australian
May 16, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Well done to South Melbourne on winning the D3 premiership in the seniors and reserves! The strongest club all year and thoroughly deserved.
To Parkside, another great effort after falling short once more. A tough loss no doubt but a young group that's close knit, I'm sure they'll stick it out and see the ultimate success.
Who comes down from D2?
And who will go out of D3? Both Uni teams in D4 are coming up one would assume

Powerhouse down.
Manningham Cobras were second last but are merging with Yarra.
Likely one down/two up.
I heard Yarra & Manningham were hoping to stay in D2, I think if there's a merger they should be made to go down a division but that's just my thoughts.

Plus one down/two would leave only 6 teams in D4, I cant imagine the VAFA would like the look of that.

I have said it before but is it time to merge D3 and D4 into 1 division?

I heard Yarra & Manningham were hoping to stay in D2, I think if there's a merger they should be made to go down a division but that's just my thoughts.

Plus one down/two would leave only 6 teams in D4, I cant imagine the VAFA would like the look of that.

I have said it before but is it time to merge D3 and D4 into 1 division?
What would be wrong with 6 teams in D4? There is currently 7 teams so only 3 games each week plus a bye. Having 6 teams just eliminates the bye which every club hates anyway.

Yarra and Manningham merge should stay in the higher grade. They keep most senior players from both sides and they should be pretty strong.

What would be wrong with 6 teams in D4? There is currently 7 teams so only 3 games each week plus a bye. Having 6 teams just eliminates the bye which every club hates anyway.

Yarra and Manningham merge should stay in the higher grade. They keep most senior players from both sides and they should be pretty strong.
FWIW Over the years clubs have complained about comps that have 6 teams as the comp isnt fair with bottom team potentially playing top team 3 times!

Just even up every comp to 10 clubs from A-D2 and if D3/4 dont have enough, then merge to a 12 team comp!

FWIW Over the years clubs have complained about comps that have 6 teams as the comp isnt fair with bottom team potentially playing top team 3 times!

Just even up every comp to 10 clubs from A-D2 and if D3/4 dont have enough, then merge to a 12 team comp!
VAFA might need to be creative as there will probably be 15 teams across D3 and D4 (assuming A-D2 each have 10 teams and there are no more mergers / defections etc.). If an additional team can be found, then 8-8 would work. Otherwise, it would have to 8-7 or something more creative (e.g. conferences?). A 15-team league doesn't sound appealing for anybody and would be riddled with fairness issues.

Not ideal, but a 15-round season where every club plays each other once and has a bye is fair for all, but 14 matches is maybe a touch light on and no doubt the clubs with a bye in Round 1 or Round 15 might not be thrilled.
For 15 teams, a top six could be an option.
Yep or maybe a top 8 with an AFL-like finals series (home finals except for the Granny). Maybe it wouldn't be so bad, but 8-8 has to be the ideal scenario (if the VAFA can attract one extra club from somewhere).

Yep or maybe a top 8 with an AFL-like finals series (home finals except for the Granny). Maybe it wouldn't be so bad, but 8-8 has to be the ideal scenario (if the VAFA can attract one extra club from somewhere).
So who would go down from D3? Westbourne yes but I am sure North Brunswick would want to stay up with 6 wins. Their reserves struggled this year so perhaps they would be the unlucky oesn. Worth noting NB beat grand finalists Parkside this year.

So who would go down from D3? Westbourne yes but I am sure North Brunswick would want to stay up with 6 wins. Their reserves struggled this year so perhaps they would be the unlucky oesn. Worth noting NB beat grand finalists Parkside this year.
If it's going to be 8-7 for D3-D4, then it would have to be the standard 2 down from D3 and 2 up from D4. So yes, North Brunswick. Although on equal points with 3 other teams, the tough reality is that they finished in the bottom 2.

Looks like the make up of Div 3 and 4 are starting to come together with the VAFA calling clubs over the last couple of days.
Division 3 - 18 rounds, 8 clubs
Powerhouse (from Div 2)
Canterbury
Elsternwick
Wattle Park
Hawthorn
Richmond
La Trobe (from Div 4)
Swinburne (from Div 4)

Division 4 - 18 rounds, 6 clubs
North Brunswick (from Div 3)
St Johns
Masala
Albert Park
Eley Park
Box Hill North

Westbourne to go back to the clubbies and regroup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like the make up of Div 3 and 4 are starting to come together with the VAFA calling clubs over the last couple of days.
Division 3 - 18 rounds, 8 clubs
Powerhouse (from Div 2)
Canterbury
Elsternwick
Wattle Park
Hawthorn
Richmond
La Trobe (from Div 4)
Swinburne (from Div 4)

Division 4 - 18 rounds, 6 clubs
North Brunswick (from Div 3)
St Johns
Masala
Albert Park
Eley Park
Box Hill North

Westbourne to go back to the clubbies and regroup.
Few surprises here......

I thought North Brunswick done enough to stay in D3 with 6 wins (equal with Emmaus & Hawthorn). Reccon their reserves performance was an indicator.
Westbourne straight to clubbies is a bigger shock, good luck to them and hope they can come back in 2024.

Any news from a D3 front in 2023? Who's back on track? what are your numbers like and who do we see as being the frontrunners for the season coming.

Personally (and a little bias shown) I'd have Powerhouse, Hawthorn and Wattle Park as the teams that will be competing for the flag this coming season

Any news from a D3 front in 2023? Who's back on track? what are your numbers like and who do we see as being the frontrunners for the season coming.

Personally (and a little bias shown) I'd have Powerhouse, Hawthorn and Wattle Park as the teams that will be competing for the flag this coming season
Ignore Elsternwick at your own peril.

Just had a look through the fixture. Who does everyone think are the big winners and losers out of the lopsided draw?

Not sure. It's certainly being talked up on the VAFA site though.

Weren't Canterbury on top heading into round 18??

Any idea what NFNL team La Trobe FF Alexander is off to? Almost 80 goals last year. Big out for them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back