A Section Premier Section 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

You are spot on there
Wooooo up people! There are plenty of local metro and country league players getting a run at VFL/AFL level. Also, the Coates League still delivers more drafted players than any other 'competition' - alongside interstate competition.

So, it's awesome that VAFA players are getting their opportunity - absolutely. But let's not get carried away with some self indulgent rhetoric that if you are a local footballer and want to make the big time then the best way forward is the VAFA. It's ONE of the ways, not the best way.

Chump

Wooooo up people! There are plenty of local metro and country league players getting a run at VFL/AFL level. Also, the Coates League still delivers more drafted players than any other 'competition' - alongside interstate competition.

So, it's awesome that VAFA players are getting their opportunity - absolutely. But let's not get carried away with some self indulgent rhetoric that if you are a local footballer and want to make the big time then the best way forward is the VAFA. It's ONE of the ways, not the best way.

Chump
We’re talking AFL, all from one team, not in the traditional pathway. Facts are facts.

We’re talking AFL, all from one team, not in the traditional pathway. Facts are facts.
Trying something different in 2024 are we Mr P? Being factual. Good on you my friend, some self development and growth is always something to embrace.

I wasn't talking about all from one team, I was talking about the various ways you can get a spot on a list and how that can feed into promoting the advantages of VAFA over other leagues/competitions.

The VAFA has long been a wonderful breeding ground for future VFL/AFL talent, and will continue to do so I am sure - mens and womens. With 4 coming from one list - amazing and all and sundry should rightfully be very proud of it.

I'll toddle off again now - have a lovely Friday!

Chump

Trying something different in 2024 are we Mr P? Being factual. Good on you my friend, some self development and growth is always something to embrace.

I wasn't talking about all from one team, I was talking about the various ways you can get a spot on a list and how that can feed into promoting the advantages of VAFA over other leagues/competitions.

The VAFA has long been a wonderful breeding ground for future VFL/AFL talent, and will continue to do so I am sure - mens and womens. With 4 coming from one list - amazing and all and sundry should rightfully be very proud of it.

I'll toddle off again now - have a lovely Friday!

Chump
Have always spoken facts, you just don’t like the FACT that your club was caught out offering to pay a high profile recruit’s rent for a year!

How he was given a permit the first time still makes the mind boggle, however, him being rejected for a second turn forced your stakeholders to take your bat and ball and move to another league.
94 years of history flushed…..

PS: I’m also happy to publicly post the message from the man himself here if you want to keep your charade up.

Have always spoken facts, you just don’t like the FACT that your club was caught out offering to pay a high profile recruit’s rent for a year!

How he was given a permit the first time still makes the mind boggle, however, him being rejected for a second turn forced your stakeholders to take your bat and ball and move to another league.
94 years of history flushed…..

PS: I’m also happy to publicly post the message from the man himself here if you want to keep your charade up.
What you get TOLD by someone of what they asked for/received and what happens after that is a LONG way from the actual reality. FACT.

Force our stakeholders to take our bat and ball ....ba ha ha. The process to look at what was best for our club - stay. merge or leave (NFNL or EFNL) started in October 2022 with the full knowledge of the VAFA committee. Nothing to do with one player. FACT.

Our History remains all 114 years of it this year, in FACT we return to a competition that can be traced back to where it all started. Very proud of our time in the VAFA, I played my whole career there - loved it. and met many GREAT people ( you excluded of course). So nothing to flush - just change, nothing more, nothing less. Sometimes people, clubs, businesses need to do that to survive. It happens.

Chump.

What you get TOLD by someone of what they asked for/received and what happens after that is a LONG way from the actual reality. FACT.

Force our stakeholders to take our bat and ball ....ba ha ha. The process to look at what was best for our club - stay. merge or leave (NFNL or EFNL) started in October 2022 with the full knowledge of the VAFA committee. Nothing to do with one player. FACT.

Our History remains all 114 years of it this year, in FACT we return to a competition that can be traced back to where it all started. Very proud of our time in the VAFA, I played my whole career there - loved it. and met many GREAT people ( you excluded of course). So nothing to flush - just change, nothing more, nothing less. Sometimes people, clubs, businesses need to do that to survive. It happens.

Chump.
Never met you and don’t care to, anyway, please stay off the A grade thread. Good luck to Ivanhoe, Phil Skeggs is a fine man.

What about a club , not an organisation ffs
GDay Bedders from the sunny Maldives. I mean organisation and clubs under the same thought process. I work in a sector that uses such terminology-my bad.

As YOU know I am a massive fan of the VAFA and have been for 35+ years. That will not change in time. But I am an open minded person that welcomes different thinking. Uni Blues on the charge for me in Div1 - Matt Smith best in the comp IMHO.

Chump

Chump.
Don't be put off by Briza's return to type, Chump. You add value here.

Great club the Hoes. Some feisty players in bygone days. Were you one on 'em?

Don't be put off by Briza's return to type, Chump. You add value here.

Great club the Hoes. Some feisty players in bygone days. Were you one on 'em?
All good here AM - I'm a big boy :)

I was an absolute angel - quite, shy, introverted ...........butter wouldn't melt .....and only suspended once :cool:

Chump.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GDay Bedders from the sunny Maldives. I mean organisation and clubs under the same thought process. I work in a sector that uses such terminology-my bad.

As YOU know I am a massive fan of the VAFA and have been for 35+ years. That will not change in time. But I am an open minded person that welcomes different thinking. Uni Blues on the charge for me in Div1 - Matt Smith best in the comp IMHO.

Chump
Matt Smith is a very handy pickup for Blues’ midfield. He played a lot of good footy for Collingwood VFL before he went to Heidelberg.
OM’ s signing every Tom, Dick and Harry, the North Melbourne VFL assistant coach the latest, Jarrod Linehart. Will play half a dozen games for them.

Good luck to OMs. They have battled most years to get above fifth spot yet have not been able to. This year is a good test for them, as they blooded plenty of players due to necessity in 2023.

Chump

Nice to read a bit of sense... Phillips plays a few games of Ammos then five years of VFL, and it makes the VAFA an AFL breeding ground? 🤣

Every player taken in AFL drafts comes out of the Talent League or a state league... there's been like 5 who haven't in recent history, and almost all of them have come out of country footy where they were "cashing in".

I think there's been one out of the VAFA, Wiltshire, who was a high level basketballer drafted by Geelong after he played a few games with mates at Old Carey.

VFL clubs recruit far and wide, they have their noses absolutely everywhere. If you're playing good senior footy they find you. That's the path to the AFL.

Nice to read a bit of sense... Phillips plays a few games of Ammos then five years of VFL, and it makes the VAFA an AFL breeding ground? 🤣

Every player taken in AFL drafts comes out of the Talent League or a state league... there's been like 5 who haven't in recent history, and almost all of them have come out of country footy where they were "cashing in".

I think there's been one out of the VAFA, Wiltshire, who was a high level basketballer drafted by Geelong after he played a few games with mates at Old Carey.

VFL clubs recruit far and wide, they have their noses absolutely everywhere. If you're playing good senior footy they find you. That's the path to the AFL.
Mirkov (drafted by Carlton) never played any TAC under 18 football. Taken from OI after playing so so Under 19 football then played 3 senior practice matches, then Carlton swooped.

AFL Breeding Ground may be a stretch. But, four players out of one team is unprecedented I would have thought - and rightly celebrated.
The Phillips family is VAFA through and through. Its 100% appropriate to claim him as a product of the VAFA.

Fair enough, I saw this & thought he may have played some VFL footy.

View attachment 1915383
How’s the size of him, they breed them big at Ivanhoe Grammar! Is he still on their list? I could probably look but I’m feeling lazy today. Would love to see OI get back to A and recruit the big full forward who’s at Uni Blues back to their club for a season or two.

I miss after game drinks with my old mate Max.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back