VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Mannagh?

Hasn't started a centre bounce outside of the forward 50 (except when on the bench)

He's had no genuine midfield time, and at times has been our deepest forward

He looks too good for this level, but hard to see who he replaces in the senior team
Him playing forward at AFL level opens up the possibility of getting Miers and/or Close more midfield minutes (if we're still throwing the magnets around in there....)

And chances are woth the pae of the game increasing and pressure doing the same the errors may actually increase.

No second grabs etc... and we see it with Parfitt, MOC, Danger even.

GO Catters

Just now with the turnover outside our 50m

Parfitt has the ball against the boundary line, teammates yelling for Hardie to block for him - instead he backs away to receive the ball

It's always good to watch players at the ground & not just on a screen or via stats - this looks his level, he'll be an accumulator but there's not really been that aspect of his game where he looks like a real damaging player & will offer something different at senior level

When watching players, especially at this level, you want to see at least one aspect of their game that really grabs you & offers that bit of something, but not really seeing it with Hardie

We need to remember, that there's nothing wrong with being a top VFL player

Him playing forward at AFL level opens up the possibility of getting Miers and/or Close more midfield minutes (if we're still throwing the magnets around in there....)

We seem to already do that a bit with those two guys

Watching Shaun today, if Strangle missed a month he'd be straight in - it just feels those two play a very similar role

I'd like to see Shaun playing further up the ground for periods of matches & what he'd offer to our setup in that role - it's hard to see him not getting another opportunity at some stage this season though

Just now with the turnover outside our 50m

Parfitt has the ball against the boundary line, teammates yelling for Hardie to block for him - instead he backs away to receive the ball

It's always good to watch players at the ground & not just on a screen or via stats - this looks his level, he'll be an accumulator but there's not really been that aspect of his game where he looks like a real damaging player & will offer something different at senior level

When watching players, especially at this level, you want to see at least one aspect of their game that really grabs you & offers that bit of something, but not really seeing it with Hardie

We need to remember, that there's nothing wrong with being a top VFL player
Yeah Hardie and Mannagh need to do team things.

Non compliance is not ann option for promotion.

GO Catters

How have the regular senior players- Parf, Shark, etc- gone thoday?

Merrick is the carry over - so not playing

Parfitt has been a bit indifferent - some good, some bad & some frustrating

There's been a few turnovers, but feels like some them may not have been turnovers at senior level, where there's a different pace & feel to the game - kicking the ball into the space for his teammates to lead, but instead they hang back & wait for the ball to come to them at times

His workrate is there & he hasn't stopped all match, but it's not necessarily the type of game which will see him return to the senior team next week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We seem to already do that a bit with those two guys

Watching Shaun today, if Strangle missed a month he'd be straight in - it just feels those two play a very similar role

I'd like to see Shaun playing further up the ground for periods of matches & what he'd offer to our setup in that role - it's hard to see him not getting another opportunity at some stage this season though
Another option I guess is that post-Hawkins, we go with a slightly smaller forward setup (Cameron + Henry + 4 medium/smalls, or Cameron + Henry + Neale and 3 smalls....)

Yeah Hardie and Mannagh need to do team things.

Non compliance is not ann option for promotion.

GO Catters

And it's not a good look either when your 197cm FF out runs your 185cm midfielder along the wing, to pressure the opposition

Hard to fault that win. Apart from Humphries though Jeka was really good. Still have concerns about his intensity but he combined well with Capiron to roll over and create the spare inside D50, and he made good decisions with the ball in hand. Hardie had some unfortunate moments and he probably is the classic guy who tops out at being a very good state league player, but he was the best of the midfielders. Mannagh was the other on the senior fringes who played really well - would love to see him back in, he makes things happen in a way none of our current midfield brigade do. Thought Knevitt played well too, I think they are clearly grooming him as Tuohy replacement - someone who can cover a huge amount of ground, is useful going forward but can sag back at the right times and compete in the air.

Hardie’s just had 36 and kicked 1.2. I’m much more interested in what he does well.

He guards grass well...

Being out run & pressured by the FF was in the second quarter

Hardie's lack of defensive urgency is what will keep him from playing senior football

Thought Knevitt played well too, I think they are clearly grooming him as Tuohy replacement - someone who can cover a huge amount of ground, is useful going forward but can sag back at the right times and compete in the air.
I’m glad you see something there. I’m getting very doubtful he’ll make it.

Watched the first half of the game at game at the ground. Parts of second half on screen.

I must start by saying that this game of VFL was very good watching. I normally find these games like an AFL game played in wet and windy conditions. No system, but every man doing there best to get the ball forward as best they can. This was clean, open and fun to watch.

On players:

Hardie. I agree with those who like to see a potential AFL selectee have one attribute they might carry into the AFL and make their mark. Hardie from what I have seen from I think four part or whole game outings doesn't have this. However, some player's one wood is just being where the ball is. Mitchell (Coll now) to my eye has little going for him except he gets the pill and hands over to others to do the rest. Hardie has the numbers now and should be given his chance. Its not a good look for non drafted (potential VFL players) to see him racking up disposals and not get his chance. Why join Geelong?

Murdoch. First time he has shown some thing and I have seen him a number of times. He is the perfect build for AFL. Needs to back this up quite a few times to make sure he retains his list spot.

Humphries. If he had the Murdoch shape he would be a certainty to play this year. He looks slight - his jumper too big for him? Anyway he is impressive i was keen to see how he defended rather than his one wood (attacking by foot) . Was pleasantly surprised. Also he seems to glide and gets to great positions to receive the hand pass. Such potential but when does he go in ? At 20 ish he should be ready.

Willis I didn't see a lot of pick me signs in the first half but he kept popping up on the screen later. There must be something there for him to still be on the list (I liked the little bit I saw of Kroger? who was delisted).

Clohesy. A slow burner. Like Hardie there is not much that jumps out at you. Perhaps his liking for the contest? But he needs more size. Travelling OK to stay on board.

Jeka. His work the two times (once against a weak Frankston outfit) I have seen him has been very good. Very glad he is on our list now and I would keep him there. Good size, good in air, good kick. Doesn't seem to get flustered. Not quite sure yet, but if injuries hit the tall defenders, I would hope to see him debut.

Stevens is improving. Slow start first Q , but got involved in second. I think we know his strengths ( last year's VFL) he just needs time to get used to the business.

Mannah. Good pick, can play, but just up against a stacked Geelong small forward brigade. If they rest any one of them he goes in and should go OK. Moves like an AFL small forward. Decisive.

O'Sullivan quiet but he is a good pick IMO,

Parfitt, Knevitt quiet.

Foster has been disappointing (playing up forward) so far. Big kid. The way rucking is going I would like to see him jam his big body up against the likes of a Briggs etc at centre bounces.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back