VFL Game Day VFL Round 10: Sandringham vs Essendon (28 point loss; 75-103)

Remove this Banner Ad

How did McKernan go?
Did he play four quarters or did he get nursed a bit with the niggling injury?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

How did Laverde, Ashby and Redman go? Disappointing news with Azza.
Very good, excellent, good.
How did Alex Morgan play today?
Okay. Needs to work on letting his opponent get goal side of him.

Overall it was a decent but a little disappointing performance. We should have won, 9.21 with another 3-4 OOTF really tells a story. Individually:

#10 Aaron Francis: Went off early with a quad injury.

#14 Jason Ashby: Probably our best, don't have the exact stats but had around 26-27 disposals and 8-10 marks, most of them intercept marks. Probably gets a senior recall this week.

#25 Alex Morgan: Showed some signs with his kicking and running but lets his man get goal side too often and it showed with Lonie kicking 5, most of them from getting out the back of Morgs.

#27 Mason Redman: Was pretty good with his 2 goals, would have only had 15 touches but did a lot with all of them, might be in line for a recall soon.

#33 Jayden Laverde: Very good player. Probably only had it 15 times as well but geez he's damaging when he gets it. I half want to bring him in and play him in a pocket but that won't happen.

#34 Jake Long: Think we moved him to a wing too quickly. He's definitely flagging and probably needs to move back to a flank if he's to run the season out.

#35 Yestin Eades: Doesn't get it much and he's not a great field kick, but if he gets it 10 times he could be a 2-3 goal small forward.

#37 Gach Nyuon: He needs the full 3 years on the rookie list but he just does something every game that says "if he fills out he'll be a gun ruckman". Today it was a big contested mark on a wing.

#44 Shaun McKernan: Frustrating day for Smack. He moved well and made a contest but didn't convert at all. If he kicks straight we probably win.

#45 Conor McKenna: Hard to get a read on Conor sometimes. We're throwing him all over the place and it's hurting his development. Stick with him forward of centre.

#50 James Polkinghorne: Typical Polks game. He's a good VFL player, nothing more.

#56 Sam Michael: Decent game in the ruck against Holmes. Think he'd be a decent reserve ruck next year.

#58 Isaac Muller (VFL): Tried hard in defence but I don't really see where he fits at VFL level. Think he's an okay undersized ruck but doesn't have the tank of a Nick Meese.

#59 Aaron Heppell (VFL): Probably his worst game of the year. Struggled to impact the game off half back.

#60 Sam Heavyside (VFL): He was pretty good, he has speed and neat skills. Needs to convert goals though.

#62 Daniel Coghlan (VFL): The captain had a typical game. He needs support in the middle though.

#67 Jack Langford (VFL): Will pay more attention to him when he does something against a good side.

#72 James El Moussali (VFL): Honestly didn't know he was playing until I saw his name on the VFL website.

#73 Chris Peart (VFL): I think I saw him once the whole day.

#75 Alex McLeod (VFL): Boggled that he's still on our VFL list. Simply not VFL standard.

#76 Nash Holmes (VFL): Did a few nice things, not sure he was among our best though, like he was listed on the VFL website.

#77 Josh Freezer (VFL): Beat his direct opponent and offered decent rebound. Keep him as long as he wants to stay.

#79 Bruno Laguda (VFL): I really like this kid. May not make it at AFL level but he's definitely VFL standard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon that was Gach's best game for the club. Involvement in play around the ground was impressive even if it didn't really amount to much.

Morgan coming from a way back at this stage, despite being older he doesn't look at all confident both in his body and his ability. We need him to go from 'neat and nippy' to 'dashing and damaging'

Loved that big mark where he plucked it from over the top of two Sandi players. Reminds me of Ryder a bit in that early on he seemed to lope around looking like he did not know where to run but at the same time exhibiting some really good athleticism. Plenty to work with.

Very good, excellent, good.

Okay. Needs to work on letting his opponent get goal side of him.

Overall it was a decent but a little disappointing performance. We should have won, 9.21 with another 3-4 OOTF really tells a story. Individually:

#10 Aaron Francis: Went off early with a quad injury.

#14 Jason Ashby: Probably our best, don't have the exact stats but had around 26-27 disposals and 8-10 marks, most of them intercept marks. Probably gets a senior recall this week.

#25 Alex Morgan: Showed some signs with his kicking and running but lets his man get goal side too often and it showed with Lonie kicking 5, most of them from getting out the back of Morgs.

#27 Mason Redman: Was pretty good with his 2 goals, would have only had 15 touches but did a lot with all of them, might be in line for a recall soon.

#33 Jayden Laverde: Very good player. Probably only had it 15 times as well but geez he's damaging when he gets it. I half want to bring him in and play him in a pocket but that won't happen.

#34 Jake Long: Think we moved him to a wing too quickly. He's definitely flagging and probably needs to move back to a flank if he's to run the season out.

#35 Yestin Eades: Doesn't get it much and he's not a great field kick, but if he gets it 10 times he could be a 2-3 goal small forward.

#37 Gach Nyuon: He needs the full 3 years on the rookie list but he just does something every game that says "if he fills out he'll be a gun ruckman". Today it was a big contested mark on a wing.

#44 Shaun McKernan: Frustrating day for Smack. He moved well and made a contest but didn't convert at all. If he kicks straight we probably win.

#45 Conor McKenna: Hard to get a read on Conor sometimes. We're throwing him all over the place and it's hurting his development. Stick with him forward of centre.

#50 James Polkinghorne: Typical Polks game. He's a good VFL player, nothing more.

#56 Sam Michael: Decent game in the ruck against Holmes. Think he'd be a decent reserve ruck next year.

#58 Isaac Muller (VFL): Tried hard in defence but I don't really see where he fits at VFL level. Think he's an okay undersized ruck but doesn't have the tank of a Nick Meese.

#59 Aaron Heppell (VFL): Probably his worst game of the year. Struggled to impact the game off half back.

#60 Sam Heavyside (VFL): He was pretty good, he has speed and neat skills. Needs to convert goals though.

#62 Daniel Coghlan (VFL): The captain had a typical game. He needs support in the middle though.

#67 Jack Langford (VFL): Will pay more attention to him when he does something against a good side.

#72 James El Moussali (VFL): Honestly didn't know he was playing until I saw his name on the VFL website.

#73 Chris Peart (VFL): I think I saw him once the whole day.

#75 Alex McLeod (VFL): Boggled that he's still on our VFL list. Simply not VFL standard.

#76 Nash Holmes (VFL): Did a few nice things, not sure he was among our best though, like he was listed on the VFL website.

#77 Josh Freezer (VFL): Beat his direct opponent and offered decent rebound. Keep him as long as he wants to stay.

#79 Bruno Laguda (VFL): I really like this kid. May not make it at AFL level but he's definitely VFL standard.
Laverde never seems to rack up many possessions. But when he gets it, he looks all class. Don't we need him in a position where he gets a lot more of it. His AFL average is 8.

yg2K92j.png

ezsFPQ3.png

Laverde never seems to rack up many possessions. But when he gets it, he looks all class. Don't we need him in a position where he gets a lot more of it. His AFL average is 8.

He's been playing predominately forward but I think the plan was always to move him into a midfield position once a few seasons had past and he got a few preseasons under his belt to improve his tank. However I do agree, every touch is class.

He's been playing predominately forward but I think the plan was always to move him into a midfield position once a few seasons had past and he got a few preseasons under his belt to improve his tank. However I do agree, every touch is class.
So Darcy Parish (averaging 21.8 possessions) has a huge tank as an 18yo and Laverde (who has a body like a bull) lacks stamina and needs 3 seasons?

Langford seems to lose condition towards the end of the game, but he seems to be lasting longer as the season goes on.

Wouldn't we play Laverde in the midfield right now alongside Langford.

a) Body != tank

b) Possessions != tank (cf. J. Merrett)

c) Would Parish be playing this much in this role in any other year?
No he wouldn't. But hopefully it has fast tracked his career. And Langford, Fantasia, Zach Merrett, Gleeson

Interestingly Langford's average possessions have gone from 8 last year (same as Laverde) to around 15 this year. He will be ready to go in 2017.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back