VFL Game Day Round 14: Port Melbourne vs Essendon, ETU Stadium, Sunday 25th June @ 2.05pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I do. Have a really good VFL source.
Have spoken to a few people in house about it and the fact is the VFL has been run with limited staff until this season and the bloke who used to do a lot of the VFL recruiting has not been replaced and he was the guy with all the contacts. This year they got Narkle , Tom Phillips and Brad Lynch who have AFL system experience and only Narkle really worked and he is now gone. Phillips has been just okay and Lynch has not done anything. Before Covid we had a nice little VFL set up going. Not all of it has been replaced. The priority post Covid was more pressing issues like the AFL side and club issues. The VFL has been last on the agenda so far.
But surely that is similar to alot of AFL VFL affiliated sides?

It was well known the cut back in resourcing and that always impacts the bottom line (VFL) the most

They seem like 3 pretty good pick ups for the VFL side

It was well known the cut back in resourcing and that always impacts the bottom line (VFL) the most

No it is not.

Other sides vfl teams have a lot more depth to their squads due to players wanting to go there due to good program and their belief it will give them the best chance to get drafted. See richmonds and the bulldogs. Not always about the players you get coming out of the afl system back to vfl, rather the the young 19-23yos trying to get a spot on an afl list. One of the reasons we got narkle is we also got in a job involved with our indigenous lads.

Other sides vfl teams have a lot more depth to their squads due to players wanting to go there due to good program and their belief it will give them the best chance to get drafted. See richmonds and the bulldogs. Not always about the players you get coming out of the afl system back to vfl, rather the the young 19-23yos trying to get a spot on an afl list. One of the reasons we got narkle is we also got in a job involved with our indigenous lads.
Yeh but what makes it a good program?

Wouldve thought Tudor wouldve been a coach atleast players wouldve liked to work under considering he was very close to a senior AFL coaching gig and was extremely highly regarded

Surely the best opportunites for 19-23 year olds is exposure

Yeh but what makes it a good program?

Wouldve thought Tudor wouldve been a coach atleast players wouldve liked to work under considering he was very close to a senior AFL coaching gig and was extremely highly regarded

Surely the best opportunites for 19-23 year olds is exposure
The problem we have is two fold.
just starting to build links with calder
essendon running a decent 15s nga/ development program
the money on offer is less than you can snag at EDFL level- makes recruiting tough

the money on offer is less than you can snag at EDFL level- makes recruiting tough
But this is an issue for all clubs, not just Essendon alone

I think injuries to the AFL players and experience is a major reason for poor performances along with losing its best player to the AFL

Monty - Reid - L.Hayes
Lord - N.Cox - Hind

Phillips - Tsatas - Bernacki
T.Phillips - Narkle - Wanganeen

Snelling - J.Hunter - B.Lynch
Tippa - Weideman - Davey (Davey)

Should be more than enough talent to perform at the level

And im sure there are some good VFL players im not listing, Coatee ect?

I’d also say the last 10 years the quality of kids coming out of Calder ade significantly lower than say the falcons, stingrays, eastern, sandy etc
Those kids get funneled into other vfl programs like Richmond box hill etc
And a lot of the good vfl level players that come out of Calder end up going to coburg anyway for opportunity.

I’d also say the last 10 years the quality of kids coming out of Calder ade significantly lower than say the falcons, stingrays, eastern, sandy etc
Those kids get funneled into other vfl programs like Richmond box hill etc
And a lot of the good vfl level players that come out of Calder end up going to coburg anyway for opportunity.
You are correct
decent calder kids have been rarer
we were pretty stiff as I think Declan willmore would have been a decent vfl player this year but suffered knee injury

But this is an issue for all clubs, not just Essendon alone

I think injuries to the AFL players and experience is a major reason for poor performances along with losing its best player to the AFL

Monty - Reid - L.Hayes
Lord - N.Cox - Hind

Phillips - Tsatas - Bernacki
T.Phillips - Narkle - Wanganeen

Snelling - J.Hunter - B.Lynch
Tippa - Weideman - Davey (Davey)

Should be more than enough talent to perform at the level

And im sure there are some good VFL players im not listing, Coatee ect?
Speaking to people across the VFL we have not been as pro active as far as the VFL goes in recent years until the start of this year.
Injuries do make a difference but the fact is last year we put minimal effort into recruiting and it was not until we got Cootee / Bernacki and Rasinac into the side ( about round 6) that we showed some improvement. This year we did recruit a few more but it has not paid off. The good VFL systems have 2 or 3 very experienced leaders plus another couple of strong VFL players. We have a lot of young EDFL players and three up and coming VFL players in Cootee (Captain) Bernacki and Rasinac who have all played around 25 VFL games. We lack the experience we had when A Heppell and Hocking where playing. We need to keep fine tuning our VFL program as with everything that was going on with the coaches and board along with the women's program ramping up it was left to the side a bit.

ITs funny you say this, trick question who has had the most drafted players from any state league club in the country?

answer may surprise and im guessing but probably close to the mark if I am right

Speaking to people across the VFL we have not been as pro active as far as the VFL goes in recent years until the start of this year.
Injuries do make a difference but the fact is last year we put minimal effort into recruiting and it was not until we got Cootee / Bernacki and Rasinac into the side ( about round 6) that we showed some improvement. This year we did recruit a few more but it has not paid off. The good VFL systems have 2 or 3 very experienced leaders plus another couple of strong VFL players. We have a lot of young EDFL players and three up and coming VFL players in Cootee (Captain) Bernacki and Rasinac who have all played around 25 VFL games. We lack the experience we had when A Heppell and Hocking where playing. We need to keep fine tuning our VFL program as with everything that was going on with the coaches and board along with the women's program ramping up it was left to the side a bit.

Ive always maintained that most years we have had one guy to 'keep an eye on' in our VFL program. From Al Kefferd to Nino Lazzaro, to James Ferry and Dan Coghlan. We have not had that guy in the last couple of years. Perhaps Conforti and possibly Cottee but no one else really. It's been disappointing we have not been able to recruit VAFA guys or Essendon football league guns who come in and do well from day 1.

Spot on that we have not had stability with our VFL guys. Just pulled up the 2018 list, easily the best one we have put together (from a VFL point of view)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d say footscray
Funnily enough, I dare say Frankston have had the most in the last 5 years.

Kye Turner (Melbourne)
Brodie McCluaghlin (Gold Coast)
Liam Reidy (Fremantle)
Mitch Cox (Brisbane)
Ben Cavarra (Bulldogs)

Dolphins had a ripping 2009 - 2013 cohort as well. Magner, Marigliani, Osborne, Baguley, Lloyd, Kyle Martin, Hibberd.

Kye Turner (Melbourne)
Liam Reidy (Fremantle)
Mitch Cox (Brisbane)
Ben Cavarra (Bulldogs)

Dolphins had a ripping 2009 - 2013 cohort as well. Magner, Marigliani, Osborne, Baguley, Lloyd, Kyle Martin, Hibberd.
Cavarra was drafted from Williamstown (after playing 3 seasons at Frankston)

Kye Turner (Melbourne)
Liam Reidy (Fremantle)
Mitch Cox (Brisbane)
Ben Cavarra (Bulldogs)

Footscray have had a few
Poulter
Boyd
Mccomb
Hannan
Just a few off the top of my head

ITs funny you say this, trick question who has had the most drafted players from any state league club in the country?

answer may surprise and im guessing but probably close to the mark if I am right
Casey, Coburg and Geelong clear cut top 3

Ive always maintained that most years we have had one guy to 'keep an eye on' in our VFL program. From Al Kefferd to Nino Lazzaro, to James Ferry and Dan Coghlan. We have not had that guy in the last couple of years. Perhaps Conforti and possibly Cottee but no one else really. It's been disappointing we have not been able to recruit VAFA guys or Essendon football league guns who come in and do well from day 1.

Spot on that we have not had stability with our VFL guys. Just pulled up the 2018 list, easily the best one we have put together (from a VFL point of view)
Narkle?

Even before he started the year, was a nice get for th VFL side, didn’t picture him as a player for us. Knew what we might get at afl level.
The guys I mentioned were all genuine VFL players (almost) too good for VFL footy that deserved a chance imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back