VFL Game Day Round 14: Port Melbourne vs Essendon, ETU Stadium, Sunday 25th June @ 2.05pm

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL contingent gets worse with each passing week. Complete and utter rubbish and getting what they deserve.

Good to see Tom Hird destroy us too, was always a mistake to quit early on him
Good VFL player but that's it.

I didn’t comment on who was contracted either.
Im not sure if you understand how list management works in regards to delistings

But you can only get rid of guys that are OOC unless the player agrees to be delisted, which is rare as hens teeth and would be stupid to do so unless said player is buggered physically and mentally

Im not sure if you understand how list management works in regards to delistings

But you can only get rid of guys that are OOC unless the player agrees to be delisted, which is rare as hens teeth and would be stupid to do so unless buggered physically and mentally
Mate I don’t care all I said was today he was much better than some of our listed players. Spin it how you like.

But you can only get rid of guys that are OOC unless the player agrees to be delisted, which is rare as hens teeth and would be stupid to do so unless said player is buggered physically and mentally
You do not need a player's permission to delist them. You just delist them, use the delisting as cause to break the contract, and pay them out. We had this discussion like last week and I even posted the CBA clauses in evidence.

If the player agrees to retire then they delist themselves, which is a different mechanism to a club delisting them which doesn't trigger delisted free agency. If they retire, the club doesn't have to pay them out.

VFL contingent gets worse with each passing week. Complete and utter rubbish and getting what they deserve.

Good to see Tom Hird destroy us too, was always a mistake to quit early on him
Essentially the defensive equivelant of Will Snelling whom has carved out a nice little career for himself over a number of years now. Tom was as good a role player as Snelling is and could definitely see a place for him in a senior side. Albeit nothint better than a depth option.
Disappointing performance from Cox. Can’t see a place for him at the moment or probably this season. Needs a big pre season and put on weight.

Former Bombers Tom Hird and Holmes have had 56 disposals between them. They’re not AFL players but surely better than a lot of these VFL players we’ve got?
Throw in Dylan Clarke (yes, former Bomber Dylan Clarke, the one who couldn’t hit the side of a barn door) who also had 27, and we were monstered in the midfield. Surprised the defence held up as well as it did in that second term when the Borough really got going with the wind. Could have been down right ugly, really early if it weren’t for Mass, Balders and Montgomery.

One of the worst games I’ve ever seen. Not sure how the VFL game plan and be so awful and the VFL listed players are all so bad.
Each year we have had one guy who could be a watch, this year none inspire me whatsoever. Sad really because we always had a fairly celebrated VFL program with reasonable results without the ultimate success.

This year John Jorgensen at 25 may be the best shot at a rookie spot with his athletic profile or possibly Jack Cleaver as a kicking half back although his numbers aren’t that great to me anyways.

Cotten, Rasinac, Bernacki, Conforti should all be ok VFL players. The ones below that are garbage. Bring back Shane Page, Dan Coghlan, Josh Freezer and the king, Ben Duscher

Cox is the biggest player concern out of today.
I think he lacks the willingness to compete and desperation about how stagnant his career is at present.
I do not think anyone can actually pin point a position he can make his own at afl level.
Forward? Lacks forward craft and strong hands.
Back? Lacks competitiveness and body size to compete- I would argue montgomerie is further along in this position.
Wing? The only position he has proven form at afl level. Is he hard enough at the contest, are his ground balls good enough, are his defensive actions good enough?
I take on board he has had injuries but he has not grown in three years physically and we seem to not be able to get weight on him.
I have concerns about his ability to play afl footy at present.
in terms of the vfl, I think a change of coach is due.
Anthony Sturgess would be my pick. He has revitalised Calder, is young and hungry and could build links between Calder and our vfl program. The vfl is not a program that promotes player development at present.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate I don’t care all I said was today he was much better than some of our listed players. Spin it how you like.
This is what you said
On today’s form he is more worthy than some others on our list.
I then asked, who and youve failed to mention anyone that was OOC at the time

A key reason (and I would argue THE key reason) I think so many of our young guys looked poor yesterday, and for the season to date really, is that the clubs complete neglect of the VFL side is an indictment.

I mean they just have not invested in building a key group of quality VFL guys to hold the team together as AFL listed players come and go, and provide a structure for our younger guys (Cox, Munkara, Davey, Voss) to focus on development.

Yesterday was a key example. Port Melbourne were bigger, stronger and more experienced then our list. In a grind them out kinda game they were always going to run over the top.

The best aligned teams have all invested heavily into recruiting senior VFL talent to provide an appropriate framework for the young AFL guys to just focus on roles and developing. Meanwhile Cox and Baldwin are trying to play aerial ping pong because we have no size or contested marking down the field and no speed at ground level.

The complete half arsing of the VFL program is an indictment for a club that parades itself around like a big 4 club. Look at what Collingwood, Carlton and Hawthorn have thrown into their VFL programs to see how seriously other football clubs actually take development.

I dont know how Cox, Munkara, Davey, Tsatas etc are meant to develop properly when they have - at best - fringe VFL talent around them and forcing them into roles and positions they aren't meant to be playing yet.

A key reason (and I would argue THE key reason) I think so many of our young guys looked poor yesterday, and for the season to date really, is that the clubs complete neglect of the VFL side is an indictment.

I mean they just have not invested in building a key group of quality VFL guys to hold the team together as AFL listed players come and go, and provide a structure for our younger guys (Cox, Munkara, Davey, Voss) to focus on development.

Yesterday was a key example. Port Melbourne were bigger, stronger and more experienced then our list. In a grind them out kinda game they were always going to run over the top.

The best aligned teams have all invested heavily into recruiting senior VFL talent to provide an appropriate framework for the young AFL guys to just focus on roles and developing. Meanwhile Cox and Baldwin are trying to play aerial ping pong because we have no size or contested marking down the field and no speed at ground level.

The complete half arsing of the VFL program is an indictment for a club that parades itself around like a big 4 club. Look at what Collingwood, Carlton and Hawthorn have thrown into their VFL programs to see how seriously other football clubs actually take development.

I dont know how Cox, Munkara, Davey, Tsatas etc are meant to develop properly when they have - at best - fringe VFL talent around them and forcing them into roles and positions they aren't meant to be playing yet.
This is true. We have a few good VFL players in Cootee and Rasinac and Bernacki but even those guys are not experienced VFL players. It is not like pre Coivd when we had the likes of A Heppell and Hocking as the leaders .

This is true. We have a few good VFL players in Cootee and Rasinac and Bernacki but even those guys are not experienced VFL players. It is not like pre Coivd when we had the likes of A Heppell and Hocking as the leaders .
If the coteries actually want to do something helpful, the club should target 5-6 key state league players around the country and offer them to play for the Essendon VFL side with a coterie provided, nicely paid, cushy job on the side.
Maybe even a job at the club ala Quinton Narkle.

If the coteries actually want to do something helpful, the club should target 5-6 key state league players around the country and offer them to play for the Essendon VFL side with a coterie provided, nicely paid, cushy job on the side.
Maybe even a job at the club ala Quinton Narkle.
I'd be chasing Melksham to come in and be a leader for 2 years.

Sydneys reserves worse and Sandringham similar level

Weve had our fair share of injuries aswell

Whats the issue? Why wouldnt we be able to be a club that attracts state league players? Surely were asking players and not just turning a blind eye

Plenty of AFL players playing at the moment

Will only benefit more from a healthy Reid, Draper, Shiel, Setterfield, J.Davey, Stewart ect

Sydneys reserves worse and Sandringham similar level

Weve had our fair share of injuries aswell

Whats the issue? Why wouldnt we be able to be a club that attracts state league players? Surely were asking players and not just turning a blind eye

Plenty of AFL players playing at the moment

Will only benefit more from a healthy Reid, Draper, Shiel, Setterfield, J.Davey, Stewart ect
The issue is we have not really put a lot of effort into getting quality state league players . Sure the injury list does not help but we lack the 3 or 4 really good VFL players we used to have.

What kind of effort are we putting in? Do we even really know the level of effort were putting in here?
I do. Have a really good VFL source.
Have spoken to a few people in house about it and the fact is the VFL has been run with limited staff until this season and the bloke who used to do a lot of the VFL recruiting has not been replaced and he was the guy with all the contacts. This year they got Narkle , Tom Phillips and Brad Lynch who have AFL system experience and only Narkle really worked and he is now gone. Phillips has been just okay and Lynch has not done anything. Before Covid we had a nice little VFL set up going. Not all of it has been replaced. The priority post Covid was more pressing issues like the AFL side and club issues. The VFL has been last on the agenda so far.

Cox is the biggest player concern out of today.
I think he lacks the willingness to compete and desperation about how stagnant his career is at present.
I do not think anyone can actually pin point a position he can make his own at afl level.
Forward? Lacks forward craft and strong hands.
Back? Lacks competitiveness and body size to compete- I would argue montgomerie is further along in this position.
Wing? The only position he has proven form at afl level. Is he hard enough at the contest, are his ground balls good enough, are his defensive actions good enough?

I take on board he has had injuries but he has not grown in three years physically and we seem to not be able to get weight on him.
I have concerns about his ability to play afl footy at present.
in terms of the vfl, I think a change of coach is due.
Anthony Sturgess would be my pick. He has revitalised Calder, is young and hungry and could build links between Calder and our vfl program. The vfl is not a program that promotes player development at present.
Marty Mcfly just appeared in the DeLorean and presents to you Kepler Bradley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back