VFL Game Day Round 2: Sandringham vs Essendon, Trevor Barker Beach Oval, Sunday at midday

Remove this Banner Ad

Stringer im ok with dropping. Go build match fitness in the vfl. He should be ripping and raring to go. Last night, he was not.

If we're gonna carry players with limited impact, id prefer it be kids who need some exposure
There is a case for that but in all honesty Stringer was better than him overall in the VFL last week despite Voss kicking five .

There is a case for that but in all honesty Stringer was better than him overall in the VFL last week despite Voss kicking five .
Its becoming a thing though that stringer needs 2-3 to get ready for afl level.
We cant carry that.
Id have argued baldwin for zerk and keep langford fwd pre-saints game

Seemed silly to disrupt a setup that worked

No. He plays deep but he is not close to a KPF . That's not what I said, I said is he not being groomed as a KPF ?
I have been watching him live for a good number of games now. It is the only way you get a good idea of how they work off the ball . I've also watched him live and I admit he has work to do in this area but I would say that's a work in progress remember it's only his second season in the system.
He does not take contested marks in pack situations. In fact he gets out marked a lot in pack situations. I've seen him take pack marks although I think he tries to play more as a lead up forward.
If you want a line on how he translates to AFL level then think more aggressive Langford with a bit less footy smarts or Jake Stringer with less total X factor.
I am not saying he is no good. I am saying he is not a KPF so to get in he has to replace one of the medium forwards. I disagree with your opinion, I think he could play deep and I think that's the role the club may have in mind for him.

Not a lot to really get excited about today. Got smashed in the ruck and clearances and that put us under the pump all day.

I would say Voss was the best. Made the most of his opportunities again. Second half pressure was an improvement on his first half. Kicked 4.2 and one on the full. His work rate and footy smarts are a work in progress. He can do some really dumb / lazy stuff at times so that is what he has to work on. Also has to start leading up more and not standing deep signaling for a high ball. He is not much of a contested mark. He is good with string hands when he gets on the lead. One thing he is generally good at is his physical presence. Did not give up all day. If they select him we will have to alter our set up and style of play if Jones goes back.

Snelling played half forward for most of the first half with a run on the ball after half time. Was okay. Had plenty of tackles . Not great but good enough.

Montgomerie had a few average moments but was pretty solid overall. Was well under the pump being in the back half with Sandy getting plenty of looks inside 50. Took some good grabs , spoiled pretty well and was the best defender on the day.

Lord was Lord. Did a couple of good things wrapped up in mainly average stuff. I just do not think he likes a physical contest.

Baldwin had a tough day out. Copped a knock to the head that needed treatment and a concussion test. Just looked out of sorts. Well below last weeks form.

Hayes okay but the pressure the defense was under was high. Won a bit of the ball. even effort.

McBride. Not great.

Wanganeen. Just struggled to get into the game after an early goal. Disappointing. Was hoping he could build some form so he could be a possible replacement for Davey when he needs a rest.

Munkara. Sadly right now he is a long long long way of the pace. Spent most of the game 5 meters behind his opponent and not in the game. He showed none of the form he showed this time last year and looked like he did not want to be in the contest at times. He is really struggling for form.

So the count now is 13 goals in 3 games if I'm not mistaken. What are we doing here...
See ant555's comments in his player thread I think. There's a bunch of stuff other than see ball/get ball/kick ball that Voss isn't doing, or not consistently. Ant had examples but I don't recall the specifics (I do remember thinking that it sounded consistent with the bits I've seen).

Also reminds me of something TheGrizz said on the podcast, that if you put Harry Jones in the VFL he'd kick those goals too. But where the goal output is the same, all the other stuff is where Jones is ahead. That said, there's also an argument to be made that he's competing for the third tall role against Langford and Stringer, rather than Jones' spot.

So the count now is 13 goals in 3 games if I'm not mistaken. What are we doing here...
Playing Stringer in front of him. The medium forward is the spot he is competing for.
He is playing well but he still does not lead up at the ball enough. He is a physical guy but it is in patches. His tackle count was well up this week and he was better after half time. I posted in the first half about him not working hard enough. I also have questions on his actual footy smarts at times.
Too often he just stands deep calling for a long kick in and then gets swamped as he does not posses a great leap at the footy.
What he does do is take his chances. Last week 5 goals from 5 shots. This week 4.2 from 7 shots. He is a great kick.
He is young and learning and I like him a lot but I there is a lot he needs to be doing more consistently and last week despite him kicking 5 goals Stringer was much better than him.
I do not see him as a Jones replacement. He does not play the same role. He does not have even close to the same work rate. As I have said a few times he is a more physical version of Langford as a forward or Jake Stringer with less X factor but a better set shot.
If he comes in he has to play the medium forward role like Langford last week but if you take out the main lead up player it may be difficult for he to play at his best.

Playing Stringer in front of him. The medium forward is the spot he is competing for.
He is playing well but he still does not lead up at the ball enough. He is a physical guy but it is in patches. His tackle count was well up this week and he was better after half time. I posted in the first half about him not working hard enough. I also have questions on his actual footy smarts at times.
Too often he just stands deep calling for a long kick in and then gets swamped as he does not posses a great leap at the footy.
What he does do is take his chances. Last week 5 goals from 5 shots. This week 4.2 from 7 shots. He is a great kick.
He is young and learning and I like him a lot but I there is a lot he needs to be doing more consistently and last week despite him kicking 5 goals Stringer was much better than him.
I do not see him as a Jones replacement. He does not play the same role. He does not have even close to the same work rate. As I have said a few times he is a more physical version of Langford as a forward or Jake Stringer with less X factor but a better set shot.
If he comes in he has to play the medium forward role like Langford last week but if you take out the main lead up player it may be difficult for he to play at his best.
Thanks for rationalising that. It seemed too good to be true but the signs seem very promising. One to watch.

Thanks for rationalising that. It seemed too good to be true but the signs seem very promising. One to watch.
They may be able to restructure to play him and Stringer but we would probably need Flip back in so that Weid and one of the rucks can stand deep for a long kick. Would mean that Langford would not get a look in forward as it would be too slow. He would have to play wing / back .
I would be happy to see Voss in for Heppell and no Flip. Langford plays wing rotation. Voss rotates with Stringer and Weideman(second ruck). Jones stays in as the lead up guy. We could possibly work a structure around that. At some stage he will have to get a look in as you can not keep kicking 4 plus goals a game and be left out even if you are playing 7/10 footy with a few things to work on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back