VFL VFL round 12 v Casey @ Casey Fields. Sunday June 12th. 2:10

Remove this Banner Ad

I drifted in and out on this one more than I normally do and whilst it’s mostly due to limited time there’s definitely an element of frustration. Isaac Chugg has been named to play seniors the past two weeks and in the 30 odd minutes of footy I watched his involvement was 2 clangers. One was a kick to an opponent 15 metres away and the other a free for too high which from memory resulted in a goal. He had 8 possessions on the day which is a smidge under his season average of 10. What are we doing there? FFS he is barely VFL standard!

My take on him being close to selection - and last week he only played a half as was the carry over, so it was tahn just being named as a token thing - is that it's about our abysmal depth. Aside from Cal, the others are going to result in a drop off in intensity and second efforts. He won't touch it in seniors, but at least there won't be an intensity drop off.

The thing with him is even if he plays well he'll have a couple of what i've dubbed "kelly moments". There are players that are prone to blunders and/or are clumsy and he is one of them. Stuff like during one game early in the season, with the game on the line, he kicked out from a behind and stubbed his toe, almost losing it for us. Or another where it started raining and he chose that moment to bounce the ball that of course didn't bounce back. Just brain fades or bizarre moments where I just can't see it for him at senior level under triple pressure.

Yep. At AFL level I reckon those moments would cost us a couple of goals a game at the moment.

I said I’d consider delisting if we got another defender or move to rookie. You’d probably move to rookie in all honesty and give him the extra time to see if he can rid himself of those moments.

My concern with him is whether his body holds up long enough to give him consistency so he has the opportunity to fix that.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Will Kelly is the new Corey gault
.actually reckon gault showed more

gee i get annoyed by this story about callum brown needing to be a midfielder to have an impact. We are actually running this show to win a premiership, not as a career development course for the son of an ex-player.....

on other matters, it was nice to see will kelly get a kick and actually take a mark or two above his head. I was thinking this week that a lot of people, including myself, look at a players height on whether he could be a key position player. Mihocek is obviously one even though he is only 192cm. Will Kelly is not. Personally, I dont think he will make it as one and in the final analysis, he needs to make it as one. It's about contesting the high ball. His dad did it even though he was undersized. Now it's nice that he finally got involved in a game and it seems someone put a rocket under him while he was injured because he got involved last week, but if he doesnt make it as a marking/spoiling KPP, then he has to be judged on his wimpish ground level play. As the song goes, the only way is up....

i watched mainly to look at ash johnson who was a class and a half ahead of the rest before his break. I'm hoping that we see that again.

Only a thought, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the numbers show that the Irish lads outperform Cat B NGA’s. The sample size is probably too small to analyse with any detail.

do those numbers include their gaelic footy in ireland? Maybe we can recruit these guys and play them remotely via zoom, so their mums can wipe their butts at night and put them to sleep. A win win...

I fell on a 2021 list of irish players involved in the AFL. I had a look at their player profiles, at least the ones that stayed here and didnt go home. The results are underwelming.....very underwelming...

The only players who seem to have an impact are the ones that started the journey in their early 20s and not in their wet-nosed teens. I didnt spend much time on this because they're so inconsequential.

Geelong Cats​

Zach Tuohy (Laois) Mark O’Connor (Kerry) and Stefan Okunbar (Kerry)

Essendon Bombers​

Cian McBride

Sydney Swans​

Colin O’Riordan and Barry O’Connor

Hawthorn​

Conor Nash

Collingwood​

Derry’s Anton Tohill and Cork’s Mark Keane

Gold Coast Suns​

Sligo native Luke Towey

Brisbane Lions​

Dublin’s James Madden & Kerry’s Deividas Uosis

Greater Western Sydney Giants​

Derry’s Callum Brown

St Kilda​

Kilkenny’s Darragh Joyce

gee i get annoyed by this story about callum brown needing to be a midfielder to have an impact. We are actually running this show to win a premiership, not as a career development course for the son of an ex-player.....

on other matters, it was nice to see will kelly get a kick and actually take a mark or two above his head. I was thinking this week that a lot of people, including myself, look at a players height on whether he could be a key position player. Mihocek is obviously one even though he is only 192cm. Will Kelly is not. Personally, I dont think he will make it as one and in the final analysis, he needs to make it as one. It's about contesting the high ball. His dad did it even though he was undersized. Now it's nice that he finally got involved in a game and it seems someone put a rocket under him while he was injured because he got involved last week, but if he doesnt make it as a marking/spoiling KPP, then he has to be judged on his wimpish ground level play. As the song goes, the only way is up....

i watched mainly to look at ash johnson who was a class and a half ahead of the rest before his break. I'm hoping that we see that again.
🤦🏻‍♂️

He’s 175cm and possibly still going to grow…definitely get more solid. Lachie Neale is a midfielder at 177cm, so let’s be real - height is no barrier.
And in particular as a small forward, 175cm is perfectly fine.
Cozzie picket is 172cm and shai Bolton is 175cm…he plays like them. Pressure on the opposition and has elite speed. As someone posted, he has X Factor.
It’s great we post and share our views, but in all honesty, we have no idea. Clearly Collingwood see something in him hence why he got a VFL game.

No no no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

do those numbers include their gaelic footy in ireland? Maybe we can recruit these guys and play them remotely via zoom, so their mums can wipe their butts at night and put them to sleep. A win win...
I have no idea what you’re getting at with part of this post, but the other is fairly obvious. The post of yours listing guys from Ireland as of 2021 includes 4 best 22 guys, another that you’re referring to above who would have been and a sixth who’s looked alright when he gets a go (Madden). By way of comparison I doubt there’s 4 Cat B NGA’s currently best 22.

I have no idea what you’re getting at with part of this post, but the other is fairly obvious. The post of yours listing guys from Ireland as of 2021 includes 4 best 22 guys, another that you’re referring to above who would have been and a sixth who’s looked alright when he gets a go (Madden). By way of comparison I doubt there’s 4 Cat B NGA’s currently best 22.

who are automatic selections apart from tooey...

My take on him being close to selection - and last week he only played a half as was the carry over, so it was tahn just being named as a token thing - is that it's about our abysmal depth. Aside from Cal, the others are going to result in a drop off in intensity and second efforts. He won't touch it in seniors, but at least there won't be an intensity drop off.
Then go with Macrae who plays with intent at that level not the guy that you or I could compete with. Murley and Harrison also play with that intensity and actually go alright. Integrity of selection is an important factor and Chugg getting a look in spit’s in the face of that.

FWIW I doubt it’s based on intensity because McReery would never be out of the 22 over T Brown if that were the case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

who are automatic selections apart from tooey...
I mean you could at least spell Tuohy’s name right… O’Connor, O’Riordan and Nash, but the first two have had injuries this year so I get that you’d discounted them. Who are the Cat B NGA players currently best 22?

I mean you could at least spell Tuohy’s name right… O’Connor, O’Riordan and Nash, but the first two have had injuries this year so I get that you’d discounted them. Who are the Cat B NGA players currently best 22?

Tooey is irish. He probably doesnt know the difference anyway.

Riordan is 26 and played 33 games. He is rated below average in everything this season. O'Connor is 23 and hasnt played a match....ever... Nash is 23 and played a decent amount of 40 games and his rated below average in most things, although a couple are average.

So these are you're handpicked "elite" irish AFL players?

It's a pretty new rule and I'm not sure how many have been added. We havent added any. Jiath is one. Not sure on other successes or failures.

Riordan is 26 and played 33 games. He is rated below average in everything this season. O'Connor is 23 and hasnt played a match....ever... Nash is 23 and played a decent amount of 40 games and his rated below average in most things, although a couple are average.

That would be Barry O'Connor. Mark plays quite regularly for Geelong: AFL Tables - Mark OConnor - Stats - Statistics

Then go with Macrae who plays with intent at that level not the guy that you or I could compete with. Murley and Harrison also play with that intensity and actually go alright. Integrity of selection is an important factor and Chugg getting a look in spit’s in the face of that.

FWIW I doubt it’s based on intensity because McReery would never be out of the 22 over T Brown if that were the case.
I've noticed an improvement in Macrae the last couple of weeks. But in the first half of the season, he was a one effort player.

What are you even doing with this discussion? The weird “Tooey” stuff, the clearly incorrect O’Connor line and talk of “elite” Irish players. I’m just talking best 22 Irishman v best 22 NGA cat B players. Just have your crack at Keane for running home and move on!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back