VFL VFL RD 12 v Casey. Sunday June 11 1:05 @ Casey

Remove this Banner Ad

That was just a terrific win by the boys.

So much to like about that.

Strongish breeze favoured the end to which Casey kicked in the first qtr, and our third qtr effort holding them to a single goal whilst we kicked three against the breeze was the difference in the end.

Things I loved…

Neville Jetta - just an awesome presence out there, he’s barking instructions and guidance non stop- even when the balls up the other end!
He reads the play so well personally and for the team, his skills are still so polished, he’s such a an asset for the kids out there.

Trent Bianco - works so hard always trying to create space and opportunity and such a team player. Took a really good mark running back with the flight, threw his body in - could easily transition up if needed.

Trey Ruscoe - has really matured now into a very good footballer and was completely dominant down back, lots of strong contested marks, calm assurance with his disposals and also was a organisational presence down back.

Jakob Ryan - he’s going to be a really good player for the Pies for years to come, whether it be taking over Sidey’s wing in due course or dashing run and carries off HBF

Josh Fraser - I reckon the team’s in good hands there, so sounded smart with his talks with them, clear guidance, stressed staying calm and doing the high percentage things. A good teacher.

Oscar Steene - great pair of hands and reads the game well

Kreugs - didn’t know he was that good.

He kicked 5 but threaded three of them
with superb kicked from both angle and distance. A real presence and again, is totally ready whenever needed.

There’s more but I’ll spare you :)

It was a real team effort, outstanding win and set them on a course for finals which in turn hopefully keeps depth players for the seniors in a bit of match practice as well as pushing everyone to be at their best.

Belted out the team song with gusto!

Woohoo, go Pies :)

That was just a terrific win by the boys.

So much to like about that.

Strongish breeze favoured the end to which Casey kicked in the first qtr, and our third qtr effort holding them to a single goal whilst we kicked three against the breeze was the difference in the end.

Things I loved…

Neville Jetta - just an awesome presence out there, he’s barking instructions and guidance non stop- even when the balls up the other end!
He reads the play so well personally and for the team, his skills are still so polished, he’s such a an asset for the kids out there.

Trent Bianco - works so hard always trying to create space and opportunity and such a team player. Took a really good mark running back with the flight, threw his body in - could easily transition up if needed.

Trey Ruscoe - has really matured now into a very good footballer and was completely dominant down back, lots of strong contested marks, calm assurance with his disposals and also was a organisational presence down back.

Jakob Ryan - he’s going to be a really good player for the Pies for years to come, whether it be taking over Sidey’s wing in due course or dashing run and carries off HBF

Josh Fraser - I reckon the team’s in good hands there, so sounded smart with his talks with them, clear guidance, stressed staying calm and doing the high percentage things. A good teacher.

Oscar Steene - great pair of hands and reads the game well

Kreugs - didn’t know he was that good.

He kicked 5 but threaded three of them
with superb kicked from both angle and distance. A real presence and again, is totally ready whenever needed.

There’s more but I’ll spare you :)

It was a real team effort, outstanding win and set them on a course for finals which in turn hopefully keeps depth players for the seniors in a bit of match practice as well as pushing everyone to be at their best.

Belted out the team song with gusto!

Woohoo, go Pies :)
Great analysis Swooop, really appreciate your objective insights while disregarding the standard knocks on our whipping boys, e.g. Bianco, Kreuger and Trey. Thank you

Not sure how long Steene's contract is but I'd extend it.

He's gonna be an AFL player. Has a bit of Luke Jackson in him.

Certainly has the talent to be a player, needs to add about 15 kg or he'll just get pushed off the contest at AFL level. I'd be aiming to get a couple of years development (and size) into him with the view to taking Cox place in the side down the track. That's probably an ambitious plan but you have to aim high!

Agree but disagree, we have enough options for Ruck/forward, Freddy needs to be just a forward. Going forward our 2 rucks Cox/Cameron with Begg and Steene to slot in as needed. Freddy a stay at home forward.
Next time read the post properly before replying, because at no point did I say anything about Freddy being a ruck forward.

Was out all arvo but good to see us have a win over Casey who generally hand it to us

Freddy for me is a walk up start when he can string games together, so great to see, has pure big man class and super mobile

Allen, Begg & Steene are 2-3 prospects that Will be great senior players but need a good hard run at it ( and gym work)

Still hope for Draper, Bianco, Ruscoe, Ryan, McInnes, Cooper

Sounds like Carmichael is going backwards

Not hopeful about Macrae & Kelly

Was out all arvo but good to see us have a win over Casey who generally hand it to us

Freddy for me is a walk up start when he can string games together, so great to see, has pure big man class and super mobile

Allen, Begg & Steene are 2-3 prospects that Will be great senior players but need a good hard run at it ( and gym work)

Kelly played well today, based on the last 3 quarters I saw at least.

Can I ask why you think that speed is hard to show at VFL level?
I'd argue the opposite. Players with genuine speed should be able to exploit it even more against part time athletes if they know when and where to run.
Not a crack at you or Ed, just curious as to why you think this.
Did you catch the game between Hawks and Lions at the G yesterday?

At the G you can spread and use your legs, it's why our game-style works great at the G, but we've lost twice at the SCG and the Gabba.

Also, the VFL conditions (wind, surface, etc) it turns the game into a scrap feast where it's harder to be rewarded for running into space.

Did you catch the game between Hawks and Lions at the G yesterday?

At the G you can spread and use your legs, it's why our game-style works great at the G, but we've lost twice at the SCG and the Gabba.

Also, the VFL conditions (wind, surface, etc) it turns the game into a scrap feast where it's harder to be rewarded for running into space.
Isn't Casey bigger than the G?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes I recall. But I have not heard anyone raving about him in recent weeks.

Been mentioned frequently that he was taking time post Covid to regain his early season form. Slowly getting back to it. Was the carry-over emergency last week so clearly putting his name up for selection.

Every game I've ever watched at Casey it has had a 4-5 goal breeze favour 1 end...
True, but nowhere near as bad as Port Gellibrand in Williamstown :) Edited after a LOL from Masked Magician ... stats show he had 16 disposals (10 kicks including a nice goal and 6 handpasses). Was far from rubbish and not far behind everyone's favourite, Oscar Steene.

Last edited:

He is actually quite a bit bigger than Jackson and he has a fantastic leap for a bloke 205cm, I was so excited when we trialled him and what a bargain where we got him.

His tap work is also top drawer and he can take a grab a really great prospect.

Last edited:
Been mentioned frequently that he was taking time post Covid to regain his early season form. Slowly getting back to it. Was the carry-over emergency last week so clearly putting his name up for selection.
More likely aimed at giving him some time to catch up with friends and family.

I reckon there’s a lot of solid depth there, including Kelly and Macrae. Problem is our seniors are going so well there’s no space to really test it out.

On form, it was hard to understand why he got to be emergency other than for the reason you cited.

Round 10 VFL coaches votes.

Collingwood 5.13 (43) def by North Melbourne 11.16 (82)
Kayne Turner (NM)
5 Darcy Tucker (NM)
4 Aidan Corr (NM)
3 Flynn Perez (NM)
3 Jack Watkins (NM)
2 Edward Allan (COL)
Jamie Hope (NM)
1 Ben Davis (NM)
1 Connor Downie (NM)

Allan was the only Collingwood player to gain coaches votes the week before, maybe that was a clue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back