VFL Game Day VFL Round 2: Frankston v Bendigo (Bombers) Gold - *Bendigo winners by 124*

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Frankston Dolphins v Bendigo 'Gold' (Aka Bombers) @ Frankston Park

why is slattery named in the forward pocket?

@ half time.. Bendigo 11.10.76 lead Frankston 2.4.16 Duscher with 3 and clearly our best, Dellolio 2 and certainly very impressive, Lonergan good with a hangar and his second after the half time siren..

Of the others, O'Brien has showed some good glimpses, cracking goal to, Carlisle has bot been beaten down back, Steinberg couple of good things, Dyson is too good for this level..

And quick mention to a couple of the Bendigo guys, keep an eye out for Josh Freezer (#10) this year, good size, seems like he could step up perhaps and young Jordan Williams (#14) on the wing has done a couple of very good things..

No signs of E Kav, Hunter

Re: VFL Round 2: Frankston v Bendigo (Bombers) Gold

Dell for McVeigh and I'm happy :thumbsu:

Re: Frankston Dolphins v Bendigo 'Gold' (Aka Bombers) @ Frankston Park

Duscher awsome first half ran out of puff late in the game due to his restricted preseason wait till the kid gets some match fitness under his belt.

Got there at quarter time but the following notes:

Firstly, Frankston are nothing more than a good country footy side so take it for what it is.

TBell. 10 - 12 Contested marks, got better as the game went on. Did his best work in the middle third of the ground. Moved very well.

Lonergan. in the best few probably. Got dangerous forward and clearance work was excellent under a heavy tag most of the time.

Merret. A long way to go. One of the quieter players on the day. Did a couple of ok things. Attack on the ball was actually better than I thought for a twig.

Steinberg. Lively for much of the day but floated in and out a bit. Looks like he's moving very well.

O'brien. Very much in the same mould as Crameri in my view. Less pace but a very similar player. bobbed up all day and did some good things without dominating.

Davey. Dangerous all day but not prolific

Dell'olio. Looked good. Work rate is there. Not afraid to get inside and is dangerous anywhere inside 50.

Slattery, seemed to work into it more as the game wore on. Not great but did his job.

Dyson. Another who got better as the game wore on (although some other reports suggest he had a good first quarter which I missed). If he got any wider on some occasions he would have been on Frankston beach.

Carlisle looks like he's got to the point where he believes he's better than this standard. dominant in the air. rarely beaten. And good with his disposal.

Duscher and Freezer were the two non listed players that stood out for me. Both in the best handful of players on the day.

Thank god thats out of the way, got away unscathed apart from a few sore ears (from the bogan supporters and those drums), comprehensively outplayed them with our bigger bodies and better ball use, really impressed with a team effort.

Any ways, player reviews:

Ricky Dyson: Was one of my best today, was used across half back and through the midfield, his ball use again a feature. Linked up well and is now certainly one of our leaders at Bendigo. Kicked a long goal as mentioned on the run from 60m and in my bests today.

Henry Slattery: Was poor today, did some ok things, but did not play saying "pick me". Did take a really good strong contested mark in the third and become more involved throughout the second half, also managed to kick a goal from a 50m penalty but dont expect to see Hank in the ones on the back of todays game.

Ariel Steinberg: Managed to kick 3 for the day, all opportunist types, and provided a contest in the second half of the game. Was impressed with his second efforts. Still gets lost for periods of the game but definitely something to to work with.

Elliot KavanaghL Did not play, some reports of injury

Luke Davis: Interesting game from Davis, was used as a tall onballer early but then moved to his customary role across half back and was his unobtrusive best. Did hold up play when the coach asked us to play on later in the game but another solid game.

Jackson Merret: Took some really good solid marks and used it well for the most parts, looked to do to much at times but reminds me of Ross from last year. Used it well for the most part and looks to be adjusting to life as an AFL player.

Nick O'Brien: Really impressed with O'Brien today. Took several really good strong contested marks today, both on the lead and 1:1, managed to finish with 2.1 and plenty of admirers, including yours truly. We certainly have a winner here and may play the most games of this years draftees.

Mark Baguley: Baguley was really good against his old side, took several intercept marks from opposition kicks including a couple of strong contested marks. Used the ball well from the back half and provided plenty of drive from behind centre today.

Corey Dell'Olio: Was really impressed with Dell'Olio today, finished with a couple of goals and was generally a threat around goal. Did not provide as much chase and tackle pressure as Davey, but he was a constant threat with his big body around the ball, did turn to one supporter and say he just hunts the ball, he wants it and he chances his arm. Did finish with 2.3, a constant theme i am noticing, so hopefully he can improve on his decision making and goal kicking, but definitely a player to watch out for, for the rest of the season.

Sam Lonergan: Was close to best on ground today, took several contested marks including a classic 'hangar' and finished that off with a goal after the half time siren. Finished with 3 and was instrumental in extracting the ball out of the packs to our runners but also managed to link up at times. Certainly put his hand up for senior selection if anyone is to be promoted.

Tom Bellchambers: Some say he was one of our best, but the fact Frankston did not have anyone of his size (or calibre), T - Bell did not put his stamp on the game for 4 quarters, seemed to take it easy at times and did not push himself. Did take some strong marks around the ground, but when pushing forward, was unable to reward his hard work finishing with a couple of behinds.

Alwyn Davey: Froggy was poor for mine, really only came on in the third quarter and finished with a couple of goals. Had his customary fumbles but did manage a few strong tackles..

Kyle Reimers: HArdly sighted him in the first half and really struggled throughout the game, did some good things, but did some stupid things aswell. Would not say he will be inline for a recall.

Jake Carlisle: He was best on ground by a mile for mine (I know I said Duscer Saladin but thinking back, Carlisle was simply awesome for the time he was on). Dont think he was beaten in a 1:1 contest all day playing at CHB against Haretuku (who kicked a couple of goals when Carlisle was off). Took probably 12 - 15 marks with a handful of those in the contested variety, used the ball safely and was the one player who screamed "pick me" but who do we drop? Sat out the last quarter obviously being 'rested'.

As for the rest of the Bendigo listed players, Rick Ladson (#4) will be a strong pick up with his big body and experience to help out with our young midfielders, he was serviceable, Josh Freezer (#10) is one player to keep an eye out for this year. A nice size and intercepted plenty of marks today, took close to 10 marks for the day and used the ball really well with his long left foot. And a quick shout out to young Jordan Williams who was on Hawthorns rookie list for a couple of years, worked really hard on the wings and did a couple of nice things and Dean Putt the former Richmond ruckmen who may not be the best ruckmen but certainly provides a good contest when the Essendon ruckmen is resting.

Overall good win today running away 84 point winners with Duscher, Steinberg and Lonergan each kicking 3.

awesome stuff HFF i should have come down, id say Carlisle might come in if hooker cant get up from ankle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank god thats out of the way, got away unscathed apart from a few sore ears (from the bogan supporters and those drums), comprehensively outplayed them with our bigger bodies and better ball use, really impressed with a team effort.

Any ways, player reviews:

Ricky Dyson: Was one of my best today, was used across half back and through the midfield, his ball use again a feature. Linked up well and is now certainly one of our leaders at Bendigo. Kicked a long goal as mentioned on the run from 60m and in my bests today.

Henry Slattery: Was poor today, did some ok things, but did not play saying "pick me". Did take a really good strong contested mark in the third and become more involved throughout the second half, also managed to kick a goal from a 50m penalty but dont expect to see Hank in the ones on the back of todays game.

Ariel Steinberg: Managed to kick 3 for the day, all opportunist types, and provided a contest in the second half of the game. Was impressed with his second efforts. Still gets lost for periods of the game but definitely something to to work with.

Elliot KavanaghL Did not play, some reports of injury

Luke Davis: Interesting game from Davis, was used as a tall onballer early but then moved to his customary role across half back and was his unobtrusive best. Did hold up play when the coach asked us to play on later in the game but another solid game.

Jackson Merret: Took some really good solid marks and used it well for the most parts, looked to do to much at times but reminds me of Ross from last year. Used it well for the most part and looks to be adjusting to life as an AFL player.

Nick O'Brien: Really impressed with O'Brien today. Took several really good strong contested marks today, both on the lead and 1:1, managed to finish with 2.1 and plenty of admirers, including yours truly. We certainly have a winner here and may play the most games of this years draftees.

Mark Baguley: Baguley was really good against his old side, took several intercept marks from opposition kicks including a couple of strong contested marks. Used the ball well from the back half and provided plenty of drive from behind centre today.

Corey Dell'Olio: Was really impressed with Dell'Olio today, finished with a couple of goals and was generally a threat around goal. Did not provide as much chase and tackle pressure as Davey, but he was a constant threat with his big body around the ball, did turn to one supporter and say he just hunts the ball, he wants it and he chances his arm. Did finish with 2.3, a constant theme i am noticing, so hopefully he can improve on his decision making and goal kicking, but definitely a player to watch out for, for the rest of the season.

Sam Lonergan: Was close to best on ground today, took several contested marks including a classic 'hangar' and finished that off with a goal after the half time siren. Finished with 3 and was instrumental in extracting the ball out of the packs to our runners but also managed to link up at times. Certainly put his hand up for senior selection if anyone is to be promoted.

Tom Bellchambers: Some say he was one of our best, but the fact Frankston did not have anyone of his size (or calibre), T - Bell did not put his stamp on the game for 4 quarters, seemed to take it easy at times and did not push himself. Did take some strong marks around the ground, but when pushing forward, was unable to reward his hard work finishing with a couple of behinds.

Alwyn Davey: Froggy was poor for mine, really only came on in the third quarter and finished with a couple of goals. Had his customary fumbles but did manage a few strong tackles..

Kyle Reimers: HArdly sighted him in the first half and really struggled throughout the game, did some good things, but did some stupid things aswell. Would not say he will be inline for a recall.

Jake Carlisle: He was best on ground by a mile for mine (I know I said Duscer Saladin but thinking back, Carlisle was simply awesome for the time he was on). Dont think he was beaten in a 1:1 contest all day playing at CHB against Haretuku (who kicked a couple of goals when Carlisle was off). Took probably 12 - 15 marks with a handful of those in the contested variety, used the ball safely and was the one player who screamed "pick me" but who do we drop? Sat out the last quarter obviously being 'rested'.

As for the rest of the Bendigo listed players, Rick Ladson (#4) will be a strong pick up with his big body and experience to help out with our young midfielders, he was serviceable, Josh Freezer (#10) is one player to keep an eye out for this year. A nice size and intercepted plenty of marks today, took close to 10 marks for the day and used the ball really well with his long left foot. And a quick shout out to young Jordan Williams who was on Hawthorns rookie list for a couple of years, worked really hard on the wings and did a couple of nice things and Dean Putt the former Richmond ruckmen who may not be the best ruckmen but certainly provides a good contest when the Essendon ruckmen is resting.

Overall good win today running away 84 point winners with Duscher, Steinberg and Lonergan each kicking 3.

interesting reading this!

in regards to reimers someone on bomberblitz in there player summary said that reimers was dominant in the first quarter!!!

I watched the first 3 qtrs and agree with HFF, Reimers did bugger all. Something didnt look right with him, had no pace about him, just wasnt dangerous at all.

Hard to judge this game because Frankston is woeful, a couple of kids who are half decent and some guys that were playing seconds MPNFL who are now somehow VFL firsts :confused:

Carlisle took a lazy 75 marks for the day. Is a rock at CHB.

Liked Lonergan as a fwd, looks super fit, was a touch of medhurst about the way played as a fwd. May of been due to the opposition so would like to see it against a better opponent.

Dyson dominated, as above looks very fit.

Only negatives would Slattery, was beaten by a 5 foot jockey, and continues to head in the wrong direction. We used to have a bloke who could do a job at AFL level, and now nothing at all. Hard to explain. Also cant see anything to suggest Davis is a tagger/extractor midfielder.

Most noticable thing he did all day was give it to the Dolphins reserves players after he kicked a goal with 5 minutes to go in the last quarter while 12 goals up.

The worst of the listed players for mine.

I think our local baseball club takes the cake for that, the Frankston Tomatoes. :eek:

And dont worry, we're still rubbish.

Haha, yes that wins....speaking of Frankston clubs with bad nicknames, i played some junior footy and my first year of senior footy with the Frankston YCW Stonecats!!

The irony of a Frankston crowd yelling out "go stoners" was not lost on me either. :thumbsu::D

Haha, yes that wins....speaking of Frankston clubs with bad nicknames, i played some junior footy and my first year of senior footy with the Frankston YCW Stonecats!!

The irony of a Frankston crowd yelling out "go stoners" was not lost on me either. :thumbsu::D

Haha really mate, what year roughly was this? Because I played all my junior footy at Frankston YCW and all my junior cricket + about 4 years of senior cricket at YCW. Ah good ol' stonecats, fantastic nickname

Haha really mate, what year roughly was this? Because I played all my junior footy at Frankston YCW and all my junior cricket + about 4 years of senior cricket at YCW. Ah good ol' stonecats, fantastic nickname

Many moons ago - I'm 34 this year.

Played U/12's with YCW 1990, then Karingal Bulls (not as out there, but a less common name nonetheless) for 4 years, then YC both years of U/18's and first year of seniors (i think '96-98 if that works out...I'm def sure about U/12's being in 1990 as it was my first year of high school and I'd just moved).

Does that coincide with your good self??

The stoners also should get credit for their "Roll out the Barrell" tuned theme song too!

Haha few bad nicknames on the peninsula gents, Tyabb Yabbies, Dromana Grasshoppers =p

Indeed HFF - I started at Rosebud when I was 9, and I believe their nickname is actually "The Buds" which has a bit of a "stoner" theme to it also (if you get my drift??:D)

I certainly played against the Yabbies and the Grasshoppers as a kid, and even filled in for a two's game at Dromana when they were short one day.

And I think Mt. Eliza may also be "the Mounties" which suggests they are more likely to be a Canadian team than south of Frankston!!

Many moons ago - I'm 34 this year.

Played U/12's with YCW 1990, then Karingal Bulls (not as out there, but a less common name nonetheless) for 4 years, then YC both years of U/18's and first year of seniors (i think '96-98 if that works out...I'm def sure about U/12's being in 1990 as it was my first year of high school and I'd just moved).

Does that coincide with your good self??

The stoners also should get credit for their "Roll out the Barrell" tuned theme song too!

Ahh interesting, that means you might've possibly been there for Jeff White's infamous very brief stint at YCW? As for me personally not even close unfortunately haha, I'm only a few years out of footy, turning 20 this year.

And yes, whilst I credit YCW for actually thinking of an original song instead of ripping off an AFL song like most clubs, they could've shortened it. Coming off after running out a full game, singing a 4-verse song could be quite the effort; coincidentally it was the 3rd verse, "Roll out the barrell..." that a lot of people started to give up haha.

Ahh interesting, that means you might've possibly been there for Jeff White's infamous very brief stint at YCW? As for me personally not even close unfortunately haha, I'm only a few years out of footy, turning 20 this year.

And yes, whilst I credit YCW for actually thinking of an original song instead of ripping off an AFL song like most clubs, they could've shortened it. Coming off after running out a full game, singing a 4-verse song could be quite the effort; coincidentally it was the 3rd verse, "Roll out the barrell..." that a lot of people started to give up haha.

He was a year older than me but I never played with him at YCW - I played a couple of scratch matches with him at the then Southern Stingrays out at Padua - one of those praccy matches is still to this day quite possibly the single most dominant game of footy i've seen by an idividual.....i'm sure no stats were taken, but I wouldn't be surprised if he took 30something marks, many contested or semi contested.....i can still picture him floating across the pack time and time again, and on a few occasions plucking kicks from myself that were not intended for him (he was playing for the opposition side/squad that day!).

. And I think Mt. Eliza may also be "the Mounties" which suggests they are more likely to be a Canadian team than south of Frankston!![/quote said:
Easy there tiger... Mt Eliza are the mighty 'Redlegs'.

Easy there tiger... Mt Eliza are the mighty 'Redlegs'.

Ah, yes sir, now that you mention it I realise you are correct - I never played them in seniors (as they were a different division at the time), but I do remember seeing all the mums and their picnic sets sitting on the back of their range rovers in my junior years yelling (with a plum in their voice) "go Mounties"!! :D

I stand corrected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back