Review Walyalup Defeat Narrm!

Remove this Banner Ad

I like contested footballers, so last year when I saw JL giving preference to speedy running players I took a bit of convincing.
But by the end of 2022, I got it.
We are a better side today because of our youthful runners/speedsters in the likes of Walker, Noddy, Switta, Freddy, etc...
Walker is the sort of player that I used to love to hate but even last season when he had a shocker final, I could see what JL sees in him.

Earlier this season we were struggling because we had lost our speed and run (mostly due to a few injuries).
The likes of Walker are extremely undervalued given the JL game plan we are trying to play. Once you can accept Walker's turnovers are part of the package, you can start to appreciate just how many times his hard running supports what we are trying to do.

Not sure if I like the new rule: If you are blindsided and can't see what happened pay a free kick to the Victorian team.

Amiss to me is a relief as much as a joy. Finally we have a young developing tall forward who has skills and can kick goals regularly.

He is a FF, but is very agile out on the flanks. Not a stay at home forward.

Geez he’s only 19, cue up the “Memories” disc, have the early Pav feelings.

Hughes have been massive down back. Really think he’s a big part of the reason the defence have been united the past 4 weeks. Allows Pearce and Ryan to do their roles, and not fearing Hughes will be outbodied because he’s a hard nut himself
Even when it’s Ryan that tries to put body him.

The Hughes wing experiment being over is the best thing to happen for both our team and for Hughes himself. Backline has felt way more cohesive and consistent since he went back
That time on the wing has probably helped him as a defender though. Stuffed if I know how, however

The Hughes wing experiment being over is the best thing to happen for both our team and for Hughes himself. Backline has felt way more cohesive and consistent since he went back
I would not say a complete success, still makes a lot of mistakes & cost us 3 goals today. The stats can lie most of his possessions were uncontested. He loses most 50 /50 contests which ultimately costs us goals.

Walker - love what he brings. I’ll happily allow him to make what I think are positive errors by attempting to break through tackles. It’s frustrating as hell BUT I’d prefer that then jamming it on his boot or handballing blind.

Our style - Definitely allow the forward handballs that put our players under the pump. It’s also frustrating BUT it really does release our forwards and then they can use their speed.

Honestly I thought Melbournes defense was immense in leaving their man and applying pressure. They were clearly dominant in the air but we held our own.

We were nearly out half a dozen times and against an opposition not as drilled as Melbourne we’d have put on easy goals.

Much to like not just about the win but about the style.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People have been pumping up the tyres of Johnson, and I was wondering if the tyres were being inflated too early.

He is a bull, stands up in tackles and holds the ball in until an option comes by. I can see why “draft watchers” were high on him.

Where are all the Narm (Melbourne) supporters at the game ?. I don’t give a rats about the weather, your team is playing in your town, you go. Too many theatre goers ?.
Mount Buller

I would not say a complete success, still makes a lot of mistakes & cost us 3 goals today. The stats can lie most of his possessions were uncontested. He loses most 50 /50 contests which ultimately costs us goals.
Hughes was crucified by the umps at half back in the last. copped a push in the back and was legged within a about second and no free kick.

Don't you hate when old mate Danster is right?

We probably do owe Melbourne an extra 1st round pick....

Jackson could become one of the best players in the league. And he still wouldn't be worth another first rounder.

He was out of contract and headed to a two team town and selected us.

What we eventually paid was still one of the more expensive trades we have seen for a long time and it was mostly based on potential. This was not Chris Judd, best player in the league and already one of the best to have played the game.

Having said that... if Jackson stays involved in the game his ceiling is ridiculous. His clearance numbers today on top of tackling, marking and leading the ruck against two great rucks.... amazing game. Top votes for mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back