Europe War in Ukraine - Thread 4 - thread rules updated

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey all,

Seeing as multiple people seem to have forgotten, abuse is against the rules of BF. Continuous, page long attacks directed at a single poster in this thread will result in threadbans for a week from this point; doing so again once you have returned will make the bans permanent and will be escalated to infractions.

This thread still has misinformation rules, and occasionally you will be asked to demonstrate a claim you have made by moderation. If you cannot, you will be offered the opportunity to amend the post to reflect that it's opinion, to remove the post, or you will be threadbanned and infracted for sharing misinformation.

Addendum: from this point, use of any variant of the word 'orc' to describe combatants, politicians or russians in general will be deleted and the poster will receive a warning. If the behaviour continues, it will be escalated. Consider this fair warning.

Finally: If I see the word Nazi or Hitler being flung around, there had better have a good faith basis as to how it's applicable to the Russian invasion - as in, video/photographic evidence of POW camps designed to remove another ethnic group - or to the current Ukrainian army. If this does not occur, you will be threadbanned for posting off topic

This is a sensitive area, and I understand that this makes for fairly incensed conversation sometimes. This does not mean the rules do not apply, whether to a poster positing a Pro-Ukraine stance or a poster positing an alternative view.

Behave, people.

Last edited:
I'm not a geopolitics expertise at all so genuine question.

Is part of the reason why Putin is blaming/trying to work in Ukraine here because any other explanation would be a sirect negation if his narrative? He is always talking about the unipolar world where every enemy is a US puppet. The US is the enemy of not just Russia, but the world as a whole, and his heroic Russia is fighting against their imperialism.

ISIS attacking Russia falls outside of the narrative, and it all starts to seem like obvious bullshit.

Is part of the reason why Putin is blaming/trying to work in Ukraine here because any other explanation would be a sirect negation if his narrative? He is always talking about the unipolar world where every enemy is a US puppet. The US is the enemy of not just Russia, but the world as a whole, and his heroic Russia is fighting against their imperialism.

ISIS attacking Russia falls outside of the narrative, and it all starts to seem like obvious bullshit.
I’m not so sure, Russia is already at war with ISIS and have been for a long time. I think is as simple as he can’t be seen putting all of his effort fighting a country that is no threat to the average Russian while they are getting killed in terrorist attacks from the East.

It's not that it's outside the narrative, the ISIS attack raises issues of competence and direction. Blaming Ukraine/the west is much more acceptable than the Russians failed to stop an attack they were warned specifically about. It looks a pretty poor response by the Russian security forces. I don't think Russian elites believe for a moment it was Ukraine or the West. It will be interesting to see if the average Ivan does.

Last edited:

In early March, Zelensky announced that Ukraine was building 2,000 kilometers of fortifications.

That looks like a pretty definite border being drawn.
From being told that Ukraine should give up Crimea the main focus may be to liberate Crimea first.

[The west] "should focus its efforts on moving Ukraine closer to victory with a sustained focus on Crimea, which retired U.S. Army Lt. Gen. Ben Hodges has rightfully described as the war’s 'decisive terrain.'
Without the liberation of Crimea, Ukraine will never be safe. The occupied territory is the key staging ground and resupply base for Russian operations in southern Ukraine. As a first step, Ukraine must deny Russia the freedom to operate from Crimea."

That looks like a pretty definite border being drawn.
Could be with that in mind. But, the nature of the fighting makes it extremely difficult and risky to amass troops outside urban areas. These protected trench systems are probably just a way to hold their current lines and increase survivability in order to push back from there when conditions are favourable.

After 15 years, this is what bribery gets you.

Putin continues to taunt the West and all they can do is wag the finger at him hoping he will stop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the western way of thinking, this will surely encourage a strongly worded email that will make it as far as the junk mail of a PA of the PA of a lowly ranked Kremlin official!

Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk warned that Europe is in a “pre-war era” but still has a “long way to go” before it's ready to face the threat ahead.

Western allies and top military officials have become increasingly worried about a potential spillover of violence — despite Russian President Vladimir Putin repeatedly denying any intentions to attack NATO.

The first step is for countries to meet NATO’s target of spending 2 percent of their GDP on defense,

"The next two years will decide everything. If we cannot support Ukraine with enough equipment and ammunition, if Ukraine loses, no one in Europe will be able to feel safe."

Tusk welcomed the attitude adjustment that has prompted some European leaders, including French President Emmanuel Macron, to ring the alarm bell more loudly.

"Whether [U.S. President] Joe Biden or Donald Trump wins the next election, it is Europe that needs to do more when it comes to defense," Tusk said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back