We Can't Lose Them For Nothing

Remove this Banner Ad

Louie22

Debutant
May 30, 2004
Other Teams
Carlton
We Can't lose Thornton and Russell for nothing we should cut our losses and get draft picks for them. Carlton should get pick 24 and 33 for Thornton and pick 21 for Russell and employ people from the draft who want to play for this great club. Hopefully we can get Polak in the pre season draft. This would be a great result.

Pick 1,17,19,21,24,33,35

There's an art to trading...

We make Thornton sweat... the merc ONLY wants to go to Hawthorn... he knows via PSD he may not get there.... so by holding off talks at this point in time we show commitment to wanting him and also sweat time where he may be concerned about not ending up at the hawks and re-sign, as playing with your mates is better than playing with a new club you didn't want to get to.

Russel, same situation as Thornton.. but still awaiting to see how much Adelaide/Port value him... if they under value his worth he may just re-sign.

If we're going to do a trade it will occur on Friday. We have another 1.5 days till we know.

jj1978 said:

We make Thornton sweat... the merc ONLY wants to go to Hawthorn... he knows via PSD he may not get there.... so by holding off talks at this point in time we show commitment to wanting him and also sweat time where he may be concerned about not ending up at the hawks and re-sign, as playing with your mates is better than playing with a new club you didn't want to get to.

Simpson, same situation as Thornton.. but still awaiting to see how much Adelaide/Port value him... if they under value his worth he may just re-sign.

If we're going to do a trade it will occur on Friday. We have another 1.5 days till we know.

I think u mean russell

There is a good chance Russell could go into PSD & last until Ports pick, therefore we must make a trade for Russell.

Thornton trade is more complex, as we don't want to have to take him back in PSD if there is someone like Polak available. Therefore we should at least start negotiations with the Hawks, if it looks as though there is a good pickup in PSD then we trade him.

If nothing good in PSD, then we play hardball with Hawks if they don't come to the party then he goes into PSD & we re-draft him at his price.

We shouldn't have any problems fitting him under salary cap.

jj1978 said:

Russel, same situation as Thornton.. but still awaiting to see how much Adelaide/Port value him... if they under value his worth he may just re-sign.

That's a pretty good point actually, but with Thornton and his management coming out recently stating how they'd be willing to chance their luck in the PSD (assumably with a huge front ended contract, ""Thornton's manager Anthony McConville remained hopeful the two clubs would negotiate, but otherwise a way would have to be worked out for the Hawks to pick him up in the pre-season draft."" - here

jj1978 said:

Pick 6 Dawks or he re-signs and sings dixies/walks to others through PSD who are waiting. Check.

Nothing will happen with Thornton until Spida is traded, either to the Swans or the Saints.
Interesting that Ross Lyon said he needs a 200 hitout ruckman at the club........there's one available and they don't grow on trees.;)

As this week drags on I am swinging to the view that we should trade both Russell and Thronton for picks (21, 24 and Sydneys traded 33)
We then have 3 young guys from last year and another 6-7 in the top 40 from this year all going through together. Building a sense of team (no "I" in team).

I just posted this on the Hawthorn board.
Funkalicous said:
It's been a real rollercoaster ride over the last few days. I was hopeful that we'd get a top 10 pick given the time we put into Thornton (not to mention his importance). Unfortunately for us, both your club and Thornton have tried desperately to screw Carlton over. Personally I don't think that's the best way to get yourself to your club of choice, ie Nick Stevens. Having said that, I think Carlton should move into damage control. We should take pick 24 and 33, and move on.

The reason for my surrender is that now Jordan Russell is using the PSD threat with the knowledge that we can't redraft both he and Thornton. But unlike Thornton, Russell is in no position to demand a large salary. Considering he wants to go to Port Adelaide, it's unlikely they would propose a figure that we couldn't match.... comfortably. Therefore, so long as we've only got one fish to fry, Port Adelaide can't screw us.

If we continue to do nothing however, it could get very ugly...... and I'm talking about the supporters.

Basically, we lose the battle with Hawthorn (but not by much), and we set ourselves up to win against Port Adelaide and Fremantle. :thumbsu:
Could be a lot worse....

You lot need to pull yourselves together. Splash some cold water on your face or take a walk outside or something. I can't believe how easily you've all lost your nerve. Carlton fans running around screaming "we can't lose them for northing, we can't lose them for nothing" is exactly what Hawthorn is relying on.

The club hasn't even opened negotiations yet, but you lot would have traded away the farm by now. Gee I'm glad they are the ones running this show.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funkalicous said:
I just posted this on the Hawthorn board.

Basically, we lose the battle with Hawthorn (but not by much), and we set ourselves up to win against Port Adelaide and Fremantle. :thumbsu:
Could be a lot worse....
If Polak walks into the PSD, than I guess a trade for Thornton (24 and 33 preferabbly) would be a smart idea, and a good pick from Port. Sure, we lose a valuable player in Thornton, but we get the younger Polak, who (considering he plays every game next year with us) should have played about 90 games by the time he's the same age Thornton is now. Also, Polak is bigger than Thornton so that helps. Would hate to lose Thornton but Polak would be decent compensation (although there is the risk of his off-field issues).

dirk pitt said:
You lot need to pull yourselves together. Splash some cold water on your face or take a walk outside or something. I can't believe how easily you've all lost your nerve. Carlton fans running around screaming "we can't lose them for northing, we can't lose them for nothing" is exactly what Hawthorn is relying on.

The club hasn't even opened negotiations yet, but you lot would have traded away the farm by now. Gee I'm glad they are the ones running this show.

You make a good point Dirk. The club has done the right thing by declaring him a wanted player, any trade talk needs to be initiated from a position of strength. IIRC this sort of cr@p went on last year with Lappin, albeit slightly different circumstances.

I think the club should be holding out until Friday but then do the deals if it is still apparent that Thornton will put himself into the PSD and there is no room for reconciliation. That way we would atleast bein a position to add some more quality youngsters to the list.'

Besides if we loose Thornton and gain Polak our defence wont be too bad:

FB: Carrazzo Polak O'Hailpin

HB: Bower Waite Walker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back