Podcast Weekly North Melbourne Podcast: The Stern Look

Shinboner/Villian of the Week

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

some pretty ignorant views on Port Adelaide's venture to China there guys.

Port have a huge sponsorship deal with Cathay Pacific. 5000 South Australian's have gone up for the game so great for Cathay and great for Port. TV deal is irrelevant at this stage, all they are looking for is some media grabs on the news. When the MBL teams come out and play here we don't telecast the games live and there's plenty of interest in baseball in Aus. Why knock something that is the first step?

some pretty ignorant views on Port Adelaide's venture to China there guys.

Port have a huge sponsorship deal with Cathay Pacific. 5000 South Australian's have gone up for the game so great for Cathay and great for Port. TV deal is irrelevant at this stage, all they are looking for is some media grabs on the news. When the MBL teams come out and play here we don't telecast the games live and there's plenty of interest in baseball in Aus. Why knock something that is the first step?
Your comparison to MLB is laughable. Baseball has had a big following in this country since way before they played that one off game. There are shitloads of Aussies playing baseball at high levels in the states, and there is a professional league here already. Nine of those things exist for the AFL in China. I couldn't give a * if Port make big money, I couldn't give a * if Cathay are happy.... in summary I couldn't give a * about this game.

Your comparison to MLB is laughable. Baseball has had a big following in this country since way before they played that one off game. There are shitloads of Aussies playing baseball at high levels in the states, and there is a professional league here already. Nine of those things exist for the AFL in China. I couldn't give a **** if Port make big money, I couldn't give a **** if Cathay are happy.... in summary I couldn't give a **** about this game.
Never questioned your interest in the game, and I couldn't care less about your fishbowl choices. You guys said its a dumb thing to do, but I've pointed out that it has at least medium term benefits for Port as they will hang on to a very good sponsor. You views that it has no benefit or future is ignorant.

And you completely missed the point about the MLB, and only highlighted my point. You guys had a go at Port and the AFL for not getting a TV deal, yet the MLB couldn't get a TV deal here in Aus despite the large following.

BUT of all the things you posted I'm most interested in learning what the Nine MBL things that the AFL has in China? ;)

Never questioned your interest in the game, and I couldn't care less about your fishbowl choices. You guys said its a dumb thing to do, but I've pointed out that it has at least medium term benefits for Port as they will hang on to a very good sponsor. You views that it has no benefit or future is ignorant.

And you completely missed the point about the MLB, and only highlighted my point. You guys had a go at Port and the AFL for not getting a TV deal, yet the MLB couldn't get a TV deal here in Aus despite the large following.

BUT of all the things you posted I'm most interested in learning what the Nine MBL things that the AFL has in China? ;)
Just heard before that they have managed to get a TV deal for this. They'll be airing a game on a Chinese channel.

I think its worth a shot, but it just seems to be executed poorly.

Fwiw, kangatime makes some good points, but history is against the port expansion here.
Usually you might test the waters by taking the game to an international or regional destination before playing for premiership points in the proper season.

I can't remember if that was the case for Wellington (New Zealand) but in most other cases, games were trialled pre-season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hahaha none.

My fishbowl choices?

My fishbowl choices?
Yep, you're sitting in your little Melbourne-centric world. If you sit back at look at this game objectively you will see how amazing it is. The AFL is playing a sold game in China. Not an exhibition game but a premiership points game...in China.

Did you ever even consider this to be a possibility or an option before? Think about, it's actually pretty cool. People love to smash Koshi because of his media personality, much like Bradshaw, but he has done fantastic things for Port and to get this game up and going is a tremendous effort.

Yep, you're sitting in your little Melbourne-centric world. If you sit back at look at this game objectively you will see how amazing it is. The AFL is playing a sold game in China. Not an exhibition game but a premiership points game...in China.

Did you ever even consider this to be a possibility or an option before? Think about, it's actually pretty cool. People love to smash Koshi because of his media personality, much like Bradshaw, but he has done fantastic things for Port and to get this game up and going is a tremendous effort.
I can't emphasise how little I care about Port, this game, Kochie, Adelaide, or your opinion on what I think or actually care about. I believe that the China experiment is a waste of time, and yet I couldn't care less if it isn't. I thought it was a pretty good podcast, and thought that the poet China bit was probably the last thing that would create debate. So well done for proving me wrong.

I can't emphasise how little I care about Port, this game, Kochie, Adelaide, or your opinion on what I think or actually care about. I believe that the China experiment is a waste of time, and yet I couldn't care less if it isn't. I thought it was a pretty good podcast, and thought that the poet China bit was probably the last thing that would create debate. So well done for proving me wrong.
As I said, fishbowl.
I only got up to the China part, work took over.

RIP Rabble Rampage we hardly knew ye

Great episode

Yeah I am a bit behind. Also I don't know remember who said what, so forgive this:

One thing, I guess a statement disguised as a statement:
someone keeps talking about how North should refuse to trade for Kelly and take him in preseason draft. This would mean anyone that finishes below us would get him to pick him up at his nominated price (9yrs/9mill). Assume that, at least, Carlton and Brisbane will finish under us and get a free crack at him. It seems obvious to me that:
a) they both would have the money
b) they both would want him for nothing
Am I missing something? How could a preseason draft work without us coming last?

Back