List Mgmt. Welcome Reuben Ginbey (Pick 9, 2022 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Id argue defensive work should come second to getting the ball, they cant score or attack if they dont control the ball

You need to be able to run both ways though

It's what Sheed and Gaff have been constantly flamed for the last few years.

Best to get Hall into better habits at a younger age IMO

I don't think Gaff's ever been flamed for being a one way runner. More for his hold up of play and severe deterioration of foot skills he had in his prime.
He's also just a crab in general now. Not willing to go in and get the ball, content to float on the wings and collect cheapies.

He's been mediocre at WAFL level where he should be basically BOG every game. He either doesnt want to do the hard stuff or he cant anymore.

But this is a thread about Ginbey, who is pretty good eh?

i am amused that twice in the last three weeks people have said that Gibney has had a breakout game.I know it is only a opinion but if you have a breakout game you can not have another as that just becomes the normal.
Jack Williams had a breakout when he kicked three goals a few weeks ago. Should he do it again it won't be break out game.

i am amused that twice in the last three weeks people have said that Gibney has had a breakout game.I know it is only a opinion but if you have a breakout game you can not have another as that just becomes the normal.
Jack Williams had a breakout when he kicked three goals a few weeks ago. Should he do it again it won't be break out game.
Good post.

I think it's your breakout post, well done! :)

I think that there are levels of breakout.

Last week he went to halfback and broke out in terms of getting possessions (even if uncontested) and driving the ball forward. He's now taken that confidence and had a further breakout in that he applied that to the contested work in the middle.

So far, there's been no 'second year blues' for Reuben.

Cops a bit of flack for his kicking, however, there has been a lot of improvement year on year:
  • Player Rating from 7.59 to 9.31 up 22.6%
  • Disposals from 13.7 to 16.1 up 17.5%
  • Metres Gained from 150 to 240 up 60%
  • Marks from 1.5 to 2.8 up 86.6%
  • Score Involvements from 2.1 to 2.9 up 38%
Appears to be more of an emphasis on offensive play, rather than the negating (more so learning whilst monitoring key midfielders from other teams) role we saw often last year.

He's 19 years old and turning 20 after our season is complete (10th September).

Some people need to stop attempting to sink the boots in every opportunity they get. The way the man applies himself, I have no doubt the club and he are aware of areas he can improve and he will leave no stone unturned in attempting to get to where he wants to be.

Of all the players turning 20 this year, he sits fourth for best Player Rating and has two other Eagles accompanying him on the list.

1716167300734.png

Last edited:
Had a fantastic month. Biggest difference is he isnt two grabbing the ball anymore. Some of his pickups yesterday were the best he has done. Previously I think he was a bit too head over the ball also. He is able to pick the ball up whth his head up to move the ball on quicker also.

Its actually clear to me thart inside mid really wasnt his go in his junior career. You can tell he is somewhat learning the position still.

Was on track at half time to eclipse all his other games and people were excited as this was more midfield based. 6 clearances or something.

He did quieten down in the second half but I think his goal came in the second half to add some balance.

16 possessions to half time ginbey and Reid both smashing Melbourne at the stoppage.

Melbourne had to put the clamps on and with Reid going forward ginbey was the unfortunate one being locked down .

Looking forward to a 25+ game but he is still building nicely.

He has the athletic profile to be a very good modern player

Was on track at half time to eclipse all his other games and people were excited as this was more midfield based. 6 clearances or something.

He did quieten down in the second half but I think his goal came in the second half to add some balance.
A first/second year playing fading in the second half is to be expected. Especially when bashing in against a midfield like Melbourne.

I'm beginning to believe.

Also lol, we still have Hewett to come back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A first/second year playing fading in the second half is to be expected. Especially when bashing in against a midfield like Melbourne.

I'm beginning to believe.

Also lol, we still have Hewett to come back.
Yes I was just explaining why people may have been calling it 'breakout' again. Because he was getting midfield minutes and not so much the wing or HBF it felt like a different breakout.

Not that I used the term but could understand why people say it.

So far, there's been no 'second year blues' for Rueben.

Cops a bit of flack for his kicking, however, there has been a lot of improvement year on year:
Appears to be more of an emphasis on offensive play, rather than the negating (more so learning whilst monitoring key midfielders from other teams) role we saw often last year.

Some people need to stop attempting to sink the boots in every opportunity they get. The way the man applies himself, I have no doubt the club and he are aware of areas he can improve and he will leave no stone unturned in attempting to get to where he wants to be.

Of all the players turning 20 this year, he sits fourth for best Player Rating and has two other Eagles accompanying him on the list.

View attachment 1994822
I was a massive wrap on Cam Mackenzie pre-draft but he's not come on as well as I'd hoped.
He seems to be tentative around the contest which is impacting any potential influence he might otherwise have.
Suffice to say Ginbey is tracking a fair bit better than him atm.

Also Ginbey is tracking far better than Jhye Clark and better than Phillipou (as players who were picked around the Ginbey selection).
Probably Humphrey is tracking better than him, but besides Humphrey outside the four first players selected in the 2022 draft Ginbey is probably in the same bracket as Hollands, Weddle. So arguably tracking in the top 5 players of the draft (or thereabouts).

Loved seeing Big Reubs snap that goal. He’s a big unit, going to be a handful once he really figures out how to dominate inside. He’s getting there, week by week.

The goal is a bit underrated. Sure the finish wasn't super difficult, but he hit the contest at pace with a clean take giving him the space and time to finish, and he did it clinically.

The goal is a bit underrated. Sure the finish wasn't super difficult, but he hit the contest at pace with a clean take giving him the space and time to finish, and he did it clinically.

Agree completely, the toe he has off the mark combined with strength and power is elite. He’ll learn to use it more and more. I’m really glad he’s finding it a bit more this year, has improved a lot in recent weeks. Incredibly positive and huge work ethic too, he’s gonna be an absolute weapon this guy

Ruebs actually looks better as a balanced mid. Things may change as he develops but i can see him being more outside leaning type. Hewett has all the tools off being a genuine inside player so it’s actually not the worst thing if Ruebs becomes the third on baller

Reid was super impressive but I really enjoyed Ginbey's game. He is a beast.
Working Ginbey with Reid and Kelly is a solid midfield. Add Yeo to that and hopefully Hewett puts 3 young guys with a couple of mature ones and that could be an elite midfield come 2025-6.
Grab a similar level mid in this draft and there's a midfield to match GCS, Carlton and so on.

Reid was super impressive but I really enjoyed Ginbey's game. He is a beast.
Working Ginbey with Reid and Kelly is a solid midfield. Add Yeo to that and hopefully Hewett puts 3 young guys with a couple of mature ones and that could be an elite midfield come 2025-6.
Grab a similar level mid in this draft and there's a midfield to match GCS, Carlton and so on.
Yup great game from ginbey loved his goal

Hard to tell on the match replay but as far as I can tell Ginbey starts the play on the back of the centre square, running out towards the right wing trailing Gawn.

Ryan grabs it and he pushes forwards as Cripps and Ryan bring it through the middle with it. Darling's pressure causes the spillage and Ginbey is there by himself because no Demon's player picked him up.

A good long run to get the spillage.

So far, there's been no 'second year blues' for Reuben.

View attachment 1994822

Are you saying I can finally get excited about the AFLPA 22 Under 22 list being published!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back