Welcome Michael Voss - The Real Boss!

Remove this Banner Ad

They all sound good in their initial interviews. Carlton just grind them down until they just talk in the same clichés when they are at a loss.
Yeah, probably true. He has ticked a few boxes for me though. He seems hungry, humble & genuinely excited to have the job. The fact that he has the guts to say that pre-season will be tough & that everyone will need to lift on his first day is also a good sign. I'm happy for him to set high standards & see who wants to meet them.

I think it's pretty obvious that Voss pulled off a Bradbury to get over the line, and as much as people may like to think otherwise, chances are that if any of Clarkson, Lyon, B/C Scott, Bucks or Pyke were willing, then they would have got the gig. From my point of view, I'd prefer Voss over all but Clarkson, Pyke and Bucks from that group, and he'd probably be reasonably close to the latter two, so I'm pretty happy with it. Very happy to have avoided Lyon and the Scotts.

Voss sounds far more articulate these days than in his younger coaching years, which is pleasing. He genuinely used to come across as a bit short on the old IQ scale, imo.

I like the fact that he has stuck at it and applied for the gig several times. I like that he was a Carlton supporter growing up, and most importantly, I like that he has worked hard on his people skills and relationship-building skills - in my view, these are the most important elements for any coach. It's all about communication - leading, building trust in each other and the direction and getting everyone to give everything they've got for that purpose; creating the right environment and culture, which in my view, is a work hard, play hard environment. He's aware that the culture needs improving, which is great. In some ways, it seems like it can't be difficult to improve us, given that we seem to have tolerated some very poor standards. On the flip side, maybe it's a massive challenge and that's why DT couldn't get there. Time will tell.

Finally, I absolutely loved Voss as a player and celebrated with the Lions boys after the 2001 flag, when they knocked off the Bombers. Chatted to quite a few of them that night, including Voss and the Scott brothers. They all thought I was a mad Lions fan (I looked the part), but really, I was just a mad anti-Bombers fan :)

EDIT: Still holding out hope that we might convince Hodge to leave relaxed, sunny Queensland! Two of the all-time great leaders. Very aware that it's highly unlikely.
Buckley, like Hird, has a track record as a great player and an ordinary coach who can't get out of his own way.
IMO for him to earn respect, he'll need to earn his stripes as an Assistant, like Voss & Pyke after their previous failures. Really though, given we're only now emerging from the toxicity of the Liddle v SOS years, I can't think of a worse candidate.
There also has to be significant question marks over the fit for the Scotts & Lyon given their reputations of loading up on veterans as the expense of junior development.
Clarkson is the modern day great, so it makes sense that he'd be the preferred candidate but the rest of them aren't automatically better fits for our club and our list.

It would have been great to bump into Voss etc post flag, particularly when it came at the expense of the Bombers.

It'd be absolutely hilarious if we win a flag under his watch, recruited the year after Nathan Buckley got the sack at Collingwood due to failing to win a flag under his watch.
…and then to have to listen to Pie supporters claiming indirect credit for it. Yeah nah, I’d rather we win a spoon, without him.

st can you post the link i must have missed it and this thread is massive
Very excited. Surround Michael with the right coaches and back him in ffs.

In case it was missed and to get it early in this thread. This was posted on our board on Tuesday.

RPCB has it linked in his post here.

Best of luck to Vossy and I hope he does well for you.

I think history proved that our issues over the 2009-13 period ran deeper than his coaching, although as I think he has said he would definitely do things differently. In any case your list now has more young top end talent than we ever had during that period, it just needs a bit of coaching and enhancement to the bottom 6-8 players to be more consistent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he's tackling this at the right age...he's 46, and took on Brisbane at 34, having been a pampered footballer for 15 years. In life terms he knew * all.

Empathy, vulnerability, humility, principles formed from life experience...these only come with time. He'll always have footy cred...if he can manage to harness and communicate the other stuff he'll do a world of good.

I hope he’s watched the dogs handball techniques
The amount of times they raise the arms swivel the body to handball from chest height or higher even when not tackled is something I’ve liked about there play
Instead off loopy handballs over the top they seem to round arm punch from higher with a lot more of direct line to there team mates

I hope he’s watched the dogs handball techniques
The amount of times they raise the arms swivel the body to handball from chest height or higher even when not tackled is something I’ve liked about there play
Instead off loopy handballs over the top they seem to round arm punch from higher with a lot more of direct line to there team mates
Yes player need to know to drive through them when they tackle them in that vulnerable position -- bont and McRae leaves themselves open like that a lot looking around the corner with his ribs exposed ..

I think he's tackling this at the right age...he's 46, and took on Brisbane at 34, having been a pampered footballer for 15 years. In life terms he knew fu** all.

Empathy, vulnerability, humility, principles formed from life experience...these only come with time. He'll always have footy cred...if he can manage to harness and communicate the other stuff he'll do a world of good.
he learnt from Leigh Mathews

Welcome to the club Vossy. I hope you are going to bring it and hope the players are onboard and if not get rid of them.

I do not what a 66 game turnaround I am looking for a 22 game turnaround. I;m not expecting finals in first year but a significant jump up the ladder.

Vossy go luck as you are going to need it.

I’m very excited to see what he can do with our midfield.

Not only with Cripps getting back to his 2019 form but more importantly with the likes of Setters, Dow, Kennedy, Fish, Cunners
Yeah VTB very adamant about not tolerating one arm tackles and half hearted efforts.

It might rub some players the wrong way, but so be it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back