Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we talking about the same Josh Ward????
As in, the one on Hawthorn's list?
Agree he doesn't thrown his body around as advantageously as he might, but don't at all think it's because of limitations of his body.......
He doesn't avoid a contest and gives his all when playing inside but he does not have the strength to hold his position. If you watched the Sandy game you would have seen him muscled out of the contest by Zak jones, who is not all that big. At AFL level he comes up against players like Petracca, Cripps, Bontempelli, De Goey and Wines. He is not ready for that yet but will be in a couple of years. He has already gotten better at sticking his tackles. He just needs to build his lower body strength and he can contribute to the rotations. I reckon he could ultimately be a Steele Sidebottom type - very versatile, creative and even dangerous, without drawing a lot of attention to himself.

He doesn't avoid a contest and gives his all when playing inside but he does not have the strength to hold his position. If you watched the Sandy game you would have seen him muscled out of the contest by Zak jones, who is not all that big. At AFL level he comes up against players like Petracca, Cripps, Bontempelli, De Goey and Wines. He is not ready for that yet but will be in a couple of years. He has already gotten better at sticking his tackles. He just needs to build his lower body strength and he can contribute to the rotations. I reckon he could ultimately be a Steele Sidebottom type - very versatile, creative and even dangerous, without drawing a lot of attention to himself.
Jones is hardly small. He's nearly 30 and has a pretty solid build. What you are arguing here can be said for literally every 20 yo in the comp. Bar maybe the Horney Francis. There are 26/27 yo that can't compete physically with Petracca, Cripps, etc. It's not an indication that Ward lacks strength.

Jones is hardly small. He's nearly 30 and has a pretty solid build. What you are arguing here can be said for literally every 20 yo in the comp. Bar maybe the Horney Francis. There are 26/27 yo that can't compete physically with Petracca, Cripps, etc. It's not an indication that Ward lacks strength.
I think you are agreeing with me that strength develops with age. There are a handful of kids like JHF and our own Jai Newcombe who have the strength to play serious midfield minutes at 20 but most require three or four seasons. The is why I am not concerned about Ward. He is not unusually weak for his age. The fact that he is not currnetly ready to make a contribution to the rotations is not a knock on him. His time will come.

Yeh, just don't agree.
There's a difference between knowing how or being willing to ground your body and impose it in a contest, and not haveing the body. He's got more than enough functional strength, just doesn't see himself as that kind of player.
Between the ears, nothing to do with developing greater strength or power.

Didn't watch the game today, but the stats look promising. How did my boy play?
Had an outstanding game. His vision, class and ball use on full display. Toughness and burst was also superb. All round midfielders game and will be close to a selection soon, needs to continue to work on his stoppage craft but everything else is going along nicely.

I'm not raining on his parade, and he played well today, but he certainly didn't look like a player who is well above VFL level, unlike Watson, Wingard, Maginness and Ramsden, who certainly did.
I think Josh has a difficult task getting back into the AFL team, and he might rely on injuries to do so. At this stage, I'd have thought plenty ahead of him in the queue.

I'm not raining on his parade, and he played well today, but he certainly didn't look like a player who is well above VFL level, unlike Watson, Wingard, Maginness and Ramsden, who certainly did.
I think Josh has a difficult task getting back into the AFL team, and he might rely on injuries to do so. At this stage, I'd have thought plenty ahead of him in the queue.
Next Mid in

He did look like he was above VFL level honestly, you're being much too negative on him. The problem for him is more that above VFL level isn't enough to make the side. Sam isn't gonna play him as an inside midfielder in front of who we've currently got. That's his problem.

Disagree, looked a class above. His ball use was a class above anyone else especially Finn whom you mentioned. As good as Wingard was, watching his opponent run away from him at times is a worry in regard to an AFL recall.

Watching a different game are we??

He was well above Maginness for example, as good as Chad was he was good but Ward was simply dominant. Barely missed a kick.

I wish player disposals were easy to access for VFL because there was a play through the middle which demonstrated how much superior Ward is to the rest of the VFL competition standard. Got the hospital handball, turns into an opponent, shrugs him off, explodes forward, fakes a long kick and handballs off for a shot on goal.

His class with ball in hand, confidence growing to grab it and burst away which he does super well, he’s quick and explosive and ability to hit targets either side is class. Had a play where he was running on his wrong side and hit a 20m snap on his right to a bloke inbetween a bunch of opposition defenders. His vision, class, ball use and cleanliness is next level and his toughness, burst and other abilities that come with him backing his clear talent are taking shape. I love watching the bloke play footy.

I think we all want him to be in the team because of how high he was picked but he wasn't better than finn today. No harm in keeping him at box Hill and letting him earn his spot with some strong performances and play some consitent minutes as a full time mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we all want him to be in the team because of how high he was picked but he wasn't better than finn today. No harm in keeping him at box Hill and letting him earn his spot with some strong performances and play some consitent minutes as a full time mid.
Nothing to do with drafting order. Wardy is a lot smoother and classier than Finn and that was clear today. Although he played really well today Finn’s ball use is poor at times at AFL level. At this stage Finn definitely has Josh covered in terms of the defensive side to their games.

Wasn't better than Finn, based on what? Those who watched have all commented on the class of Ward's usage. I haven't read the same about Finn. Do you really think people can't see beyond his draft position?

Good to see he had a dominant game, though it does seem most guys playing for Box Hill did today against one of the weakest VFL sides. Hopefully he can sustain that level for a couple weeks against stronger opposition. He's probably waiting on an injury or a poor outing from someone in the seniors though as the midfield mix in the senior side is working really well at the moment.

Good to see he had a dominant game, though it does seem most guys playing for Box Hill did today against one of the weakest VFL sides. Hopefully he can sustain that level for a couple weeks against stronger opposition. He's probably waiting on an injury or a poor outing from someone in the seniors though as the midfield mix in the senior side is working really well at the moment.
Played against Shiel, Settlefield and Hateley so not exactly weak opposition. Was his best game this year by far. Loved seeing him break tackles and take on the game more today. We know he has the skills. Hard to see who he could replace in the seniors. Maybe Mass who is flying atm or CJ but reckon Sam sees him as an important cog in our team and will get better with each game back from injury. Dropped twice this year for some soft efforts in the seniors so I think he knows he has to add that harder edge to his game which I thought he did today.

Played against Shiel, Settlefield and Hateley so not exactly weak opposition. Was his best game this year by far. Loved seeing him break tackles and take on the game more today. We know he has the skills. Hard to see who he could replace in the seniors. Maybe Mass who is flying atm or CJ but reckon Sam sees him as an important cog in our team and will get better with each game back from injury. Dropped twice this year for some soft efforts in the seniors so I think he knows he has to add that harder edge to his game which I thought he did today.
They are down near the bottom of the VFL ladder, but it is good to see he, and many others, played well. That's what guys need to do when playing VFL. I don't think there will be many changes to the senior side this week though, if any.

I don’t want him to be in the team because of how high was taken in the 2021 draft….

…and I dare say I’m not alone.

Worpel spent a month in the 2s in 2022. Scrimshaw was dropped to BH several times in 2023. Gunston has played also VFL in 2024.

Sam doesn’t look at where someone was drafted, or how well they’ve played in years gone by and give unnecessary credits. That’s the way it should be.

I want Ward in the side if he gives us something other players don’t, and that may well be later in the year.

Last edited:
I’m not saying get him straight into the AFL side, it’s unlikely or more of a luxury than a need currently. Ward continually needs to grow his game especially his stoppage craft which he will. But he was well clear of Maginness today, both good but Ward was top 3 on the ground with Watson and Ramsden. Ward is close to AFL selection and if not selected will continue to build and dominate VFL footy.

Draft pick is irrelevant.

I wouldn’t be downplaying this game from Ward, was up against Setterfield most of the game with Shiel there too. Maginness and he went head to head and beat out with Cal Brown helping (Hately for them).

I'm also not worried about him making it. In time, and with better contested football, he will be fine. Watched the whole game and anyone who thought he had more impact than Finn clearly didn't.
For what it's worth, Finn has been our best player at AFL level this year, how quickly some forget, whereas at this stage, Josh has been making up the numbers in the AFL team.
At this stage, Hustwaite looks a better proposition, as does Finn. Sam loves Ward, and knows his potential, but he'll never gift games, and you'd hope Finn is at the front of the queue at this stage (for a midfield berth)
OTOH, Watson is clearly a level above, and the coach's biggest headache this week will be working out how to fit him back in the side (if there are no injuries)
Finally, my guess is Reeves has an ankle issue, and that injury may solve his other headache selection problem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back