Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn - Mabior Chol

Remove this Banner Ad

Damien Hardwick has him in the gun for calling out the locks room behaviour. He wasn't let go by two teams, just by Hardwick two times.

The feeling was mutual for Mab anyway. He wanted out as much as Dimma did.

Chol is doing better than I thought he would, must admit. Watching him as an opposition supporter play for Richmond you could see those moments where he'd do something freakish, book-ended by some easily given up chases or a half effort aerial contest. I'm glad we've been able to bring those things out of him more often - he's averaging twice as many tackles I50 than he ever has previously, and around 50% more pressure acts than he ever has as a forward - pretty much on par when he was spending a lot of his time in the middle. He's getting up quick, showing repeat efforts, playing for the team. He may be the most solid F50 tackle we've got at the moment.

Just goes to show what players can do when you get their head right, and put them in an environment where they feel at home.
Yes a good environment is important. Not being sexually assaulted by your work colleagues is probably a big part of that. I guess it's one of those stories no one wants to talk about. It doesn't attract anything like the same attention as the 'hawthorn racism scandal' despite it containing both racism and sexual assault.

It's not Franklin, Roughead and Gunston...

But Gunston, Ghol and Dear looked pretty damn handy this week against opposition with two really big, strong defenders.

Very few teams have the manpower to handle three athletic, marking talls.

Backlines are going to crap themselves when Lewis gets back, and any three of these guys play to potential at the same time.

Equal fifth in the league for tackles inside 50 with 19. First has 21.

In 2022 where he kicked 44 goals he only had 6 tackles inside 50 over 22 games.

He’s completely transformed both himself and our forward line through his hard work.

I think people tend to call Chol (and others who play like him) lazy because he's not a brawler. He does not thrive in a pushing contest under the ball. He's a run-to-space and leap-in-a-pack type of guy. When Lewis went down we needed a guy who could stand in the goal square and force the key back to brawl with him. Chol ain't that guy.

The realisation that Chol plays well to his strengths and doesn't play well to his weaknesses is far less intriguing to me than wondering how skinny Calsher Dear, who weighs no more than 85 kg dripping wet, is able to mix it up in that full forward position enough to open play down there for Chol.

Mabior appreciation post

Just wanted to acknowledge something that I've seen the majority of this season that some of our fans have failed to and that is the chase down and repeat efforts of Chol this season. I really think it's due to his laconic look (in the face) that it sometimes gives the appearance that he is disinterested and doesn't try but I'm not buying it. His laconic look makes for an easy whipping boy when we're struggling but I'm calling BS as I feel outside of that period where he was playing hurt he's been giving his all and I feel he's been a great pick up for us and if he one day ends up being the third banana up front then so be it.

5 minutes to go in the game and the big fella is chasing like we're down 30. You love to see it and I saw this from him multiple times and then he gave an ample chop out in the ruck too. Well done Mabior I appreciate you!

View attachment IMG_6869.mp4

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mabior appreciation post

Just wanted to acknowledge something that I've seen the majority of this season that some of our fans have failed to and that is the chase down and repeat efforts of Chol this season. I really think it's due to his laconic look (in the face) that it sometimes gives the appearance that he is disinterested and doesn't try but I'm not buying it. His laconic look makes for an easy whipping boy when we're struggling but I'm calling BS as I feel outside of that period where he was playing hurt he's been giving his all and I feel he's been a great pick up for us and if he one day ends up being the third banana up front then so be it.

5 minutes to go in the game and the big fella is chasing like we're down 30. You love to see it and I saw this from him multiple times and then he gave an ample chop out in the ruck too. Well done Mabior I appreciate you!

View attachment 2007419
Yeah I said the same thing when watching. That kind of pressure makes such a difference to a game

Massive addition to this squad .

Real pressure machine in forward 50 and kicks goals too.

I was at game today and heard a small number of people screaming at him negatively and I was embarrassed. Obviously they don’t know anything about AFL or they don’t notice his actual work rate - which is elite.
He is part of our rapid improvement as well as the other new additions and elite coaching .

Outside of Dylan Moore, he's been our best forward this year.

Probably the player most important to our structure as well.

He's fantastic, blown away all expectations. It was an absolute bargain.

There was a passage today where he ripped the ball out the centre bounce, dodged two people by standing still and walked out with a clearance. He fluffed the kick to the wing but god it was exciting to watch.

Love him trying to take mark of the year every week and jumping on shoulders in the ruck contest.

Doing it all from forward to ruck.

He looks like the matrix slows down when he is near the ball. He has sooo much time, he is under rated, people are scrambling around him but he has more time than others. Great get, he has been way above what I expected. The contests, follow ups and I love the way he hits bodies. I bet if you get hit by him it takes a few days to recover.

Did anyone really believe the addition of Chol and Ginnivan would have this much impact?

I was at game today and heard a small number of people screaming at him negatively and I was embarrassed. Obviously they don’t know anything about AFL or they don’t notice his actual work rate - which is elite.
He is part of our rapid improvement as well as the other new additions and elite coaching .
Wtf?? What negatives? You are right they must be new to the game if they are no seeing how good this guy is!

There are absolute flogs who can never let a player be redeemed. I’ve heard peanuts at games who stay silent during clanger after clanger and then lose their shit if Wingard makes an error, because they are still bitter about his trade price. Chol came in with a negative perception from some quarters and there are dipshits who just won’t let it go. I think anyone with half a brain and working vision are very bloody happy with Chol’s output this year.

Also - can those track watchers/posters who are close to the club please pass on the Bigfooty love that’s been coming Chol’s way to him. I think he deserves to know that he has a lot of supporters out there.

First game for me all year live (remote worker) and my first chance to see Chol live. He was absolutely superb and his work rate up and down the ground at speed very impressive. Having Dear and Gunner back has definitely freed him up to do what he does best, and I can see why Sam chased him. There is a lot of love for him out there.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back