Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn - Mabior Chol

Remove this Banner Ad

Another big game by Chol. Marks, tackles, goals, pressure acts... great stuff.

People complain he looks too cool and casual, but he's fast and applies the heat... albeit in a cool, unflustered manner.

So many on his case and very quiet when he does well.
Sometimes kicking a goal from close range shouldn't look hard

Another big game by Chol. Marks, tackles, goals, pressure acts... great stuff.

People complain he looks too cool and casual, but he's fast and applies the heat... albeit in a cool, unflustered manner.

So many on his case and very quiet when he does well.
Yes, another good game. 3 sausage rolls and all the rest. Provides a real target the opposition have to honour. He can't be far off kicking a bag of goals. I don't understand the dislike either, it's doesn't seem rational.

One of my favourite things going to see the hawks live is seeing how Chol stalks his prey. He times he chases really well to catch guys at the right time. It's awesome to see.

Was interesting that in lots of marking contests he was intentionally tapping it on rather than trying to mark.

Awesome game though - the 3 goals were all at very handy times.

What do you mean?
I think he means Chol makes it look easy, because it actually is quite easy when you have such a reliable set shot routine like Chol’s.

So many forwards these days make it harder than it needs to be by getting too close to the player on the mark or snapping it around the corner when they’re almost directly in front.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some people will never truly accept a player traded into the club, despite his excellent contribution so far.

Yet they are forever supporting and pining for a draftee like DGB, who has done sweet FA, at the slightest sign of above mediocre output.

Ginnivan, Chol, D’Ambrosio have been amazing for us so far.
The funny thing being, almost all draftees have no say / choice in the club that takes them. They go where they get picked.

Yet plenty of those who are traded in have a big say in the fact they ended up at Hawthorn. All 3 of these guys have confirmed that publicly.

Was so impressed with good tackling and pressure in contests (both aerial and on the ground). Definitely an upgrade on Kozi. Very happy with how he’s progressing. Very interested in how our forward line continues to evolve.

Had the pleasure of sitting next to the M10 Hawks at the game and they do a brilliant rendition of the chorus of Spandau Ballet’s ‘Gold’ replacing gold with Chol when he kicks a goal. Some of their best work!

Chol is incredibly likeable. Everyone else runs around looking like a headless chook about to blow a head gasket. He puts in the same effort as everyone else but has an added calmness about him that can be mistaken for disinterest. Of course if he has a poor game it’s the easiest thing in the world to suggest he is disinterested, but he’s not, he’s just calm. A wonderful attribute in front of the big sticks. A very handy pick up. Very solid recruitment.

It's amazing what a player will produce when he isn't being sexually assaulted by teammates, having racist comments coming at you from teammates, or being dropped to the maggoos after a career best year.

I reckon Big Mabs is going to be a great player for us for a long time.

It's amazing what a player will produce when he isn't being sexually assaulted by teammates, having racist comments coming at you from teammates, or being dropped to the maggoos after a career best year.

I reckon Big Mabs is going to be a great player for us for a long time.

Damien Hardwick had him in the gun for calling out the locker room behaviour. He wasn't let go by two teams, just by Hardwick two times.

Last edited:
Chol is doing better than I thought he would, must admit. Watching him as an opposition supporter play for Richmond you could see those moments where he'd do something freakish, book-ended by some easily given up chases or a half effort aerial contest. I'm glad we've been able to bring those things out of him more often - he's averaging twice as many tackles I50 than he ever has previously, and around 50% more pressure acts than he ever has as a forward - pretty much on par when he was spending a lot of his time in the middle. He's getting up quick, showing repeat efforts, playing for the team. He may be the most solid F50 tackle we've got at the moment.

Just goes to show what players can do when you get their head right, and put them in an environment where they feel at home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back