Player Watch #50 Marlion Pickett

Remove this Banner Ad

One of my favourite moments of the game.

Their big ruckman who spent all week talking up how he was going to flatten someone, attempts to flatten our first gamer, instead gets his own teammate, while the first gamer carries on and kicks his first goal, sealing the game. Best.

True to his word....He did flatten someone.... ;) ........:cool:

Like Marlion Pickett, William Roy 'Billy' James was also important in winning Richmond the premiership, in his first game

kicked a important goal to increase the tigers small lead in a close game

hopefully pickett is staying clear of guns this summer

Last edited:
its apparently also a myth James didnt play again for Richmond (one win, one premiership, one game...) because of the shooting accident - that happened some years later, after he won more flags in country footy

I don’t often like comparing players but I’ve just finished watching the Grand Final replay (again ahah). Pickett’s ability to work his way through the tight and contested situations reminds me so much of the way Tim Kelly slows everything down as he makes his way through traffic.

I think he’s going to be massive for us in 2020.

I don’t often like comparing players but I’ve just finished watching the Grand Final replay (again ahah). Pickett’s ability to work his way through the tight and contested situations reminds me so much of the way Tim Kelly slows everything down as he makes his way through traffic.

No doubt all of us were slightly mesmerised by the story, but I agree.

Every time he touched it he looked to be moving so slow, but still faster than everyone else somehow. So composed as well.

Very excited to see him play again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt all of us were slightly mesmerised by the story, but I agree.

Every time he touched it he looked to be moving so slow, but still faster than everyone else somehow. So composed as well.

Very excited to see him play again.

I said in one of the VFL game threads, he understands time and motion better than most.

There was a moment in a VFL final, running forward with the ball he had two oppo's running at him from the side (inside) about 3 metres apart. One of them was likely to tackle him. Most players arc further outside seeking time to spot a cross body kick. His deceleration and side step inside through the two oppo's was beautiful to watch. It was one of those "where'd he go?" moments as he sailed through towards goal. OK, He'll get caught at times, he's no Houdini, but he's going to slip through more often than not because of that exquisite understanding of time and motion.

Last edited:
The most exciting thing for me is that he seems to have an innate on field connection with Dusty ... i know its only 1 game but it just seemed like they knew what wach other were thinking and more importantly, were capable of. Like 2 elite players that usually have to pull themselves up a tad on account for their team mates being less talented, but with each other there isnt that problem. For example, that kick marlion made to a 1 on 1 dusty whuch resulted in the goal ... doubt Pickett would have tried that with mamy others, because of course not many could capitalise from it .... let's hope this beautiful partnership can continue

He just has that explosive smooth mover young Shaun Burgoyne about him.

He's looking really fit at the moment so more improvement to come.
This is the part that i want to see the most, If he can get to Tim Kelly level of fitness
He had a great GF both VFL & AFL but played limited minutes in both games and would need to improve his ability to play 80-90% game time
Does he have this ability ?

This is the part that i want to see the most, If he can get to Tim Kelly level of fitness
He had a great GF both VFL & AFL but played limited minutes in both games and would need to improve his ability to play 80-90% game time
Does he have this ability ?

prison fitness

he should be fine

never had an afl preseason...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back