Welcome to the Bulldogs James O'Donnell (CAT B ROOKIE)

Remove this Banner Ad

He's a great mark and has surprisingly good game sense for someone who hasn't played in a while. Just gets in good spots and disposes of it well.
With his pedigree, I assume he’s just a naturally good sportsman with great game sense. Challenge will be when he has to learn structures which can make people second guess what they should be doing.

He played school footy at Xavier College, last time in 2019 (before focusing on cricket post school, until this year). Didn't play TAC Cup.
Is it correct that he did a pre-season with Footscray?

Was he playing football anywhere prior to that?

How did he appear on our radar?

So many questions.

So many questions.

So many questions.
He'd been training with the Footscray squad prior to signing last month, but hadn't played any games. I'm not sure if that was deliberate by the club, perhaps if he'd played then he would have no longer qualified for Category B.

He played also at Kew Football Club as a kid, and represented Vic schoolboys as an u/12.

He finished school in 2020 but didn't play football in year 12.

Matthew Innes connection.

Thanks wasn't aware of that thread.

Oh, wait!

Interesting to read that he was only about 185cm as an 18-19 yo and used to play midfield. Sounds like the Tim English story.

If he’s as good as Timmy around the ground and can take a strong grab he’ll be one to watch!

But pleeeease…. give him time and don’t crucify him if he doesn’t get BoG in his first game. Tim English took years of growth and development to reach his current level.

So we happily let one of our F/S slide to Saints uncontracted... while quietly hiding away one who's father played for them.

Oh to see Francis Leach's reaction!

Also, we should instigate a cricket scratch match series next summer between AFL clubs.

Keath
Easton Wood
James O'Donnell - rope in his old man to roll the arm over
Bulldogs supporter Jason Gillespie
Merv Hughes just to stand at silly mid on for intimidatory value

So we happily let one of our F/S slide to Saints uncontracted... while quietly hiding away one who's father played for them.

Also, we should instigate a cricket scratch match series next summer between AFL clubs.

Keath
Easton Wood

Kirsty Lamb coaching. Oppo players include Ginnivan for the Pies and Clark from Freo.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was looking for some game footage of SOD to see what James' football genetics might be like. Found this clip of SOD being towelled up by Ross Ditchburn in 1982. Let's hope his footy skills come from the mother's side.

On Pixel 3a XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

Also, we should instigate a cricket scratch match series next summer between AFL club

Keath
Easton Wood
You forgot Libba jnr. Remember the talk about his hundred at the MCG 🤣

I was looking for some game footage of SOD to see what James' football genetics might be like. Found this clip of SOD being towelled up by Ross Ditchburn in 1982. Let's hope his footy skills come from the mother's side.

You're watching the wrong video. :)

Keath
Easton Wood
Rohan Smith is a handy cricketer as well!

He played all his games as a 19 and 20yo!

Also I actually remember him in this game:

Where he took some nice marks and kicked a couple of goals against us at VUWO in 1982.

He was a more than handy junior footballer at Assumption, looked ok in his first VFL season, but dropped off in his second season - not unusual. He also had more promising prospects in cricket.

He played all his games as a 19 and 20yo!

Also I actually remember him in this game:

Where he took some nice marks and kicked a couple of goals against us at VUWO in 1982.

He was a more than handy junior footballer at Assumption, looked ok in his first VFL season, but dropped off in his second season - not unusual. He also had more promising prospects in cricket.
Simon had a bit of hype around him as a young full forward after an excellent schoolboy career at Assumption.

I think his main reason for choosing to leave for cricket was that StKilda signed another teenage full forward in 1983 who was pretty handy, by the name of Tony Lockett.

Last edited:
The AFL has one up on Instagram and Twitter but I couldn't find it online to embed.

I can see why Bev likes him. Super aggressive. Going to get caught a bit doing that at AFL level but if he comes on he looks like a big attacking weapon.

I can see why Bev likes him. Super aggressive. Going to get caught a bit doing that at AFL level but if he comes on he looks like a big attacking weapon.

Yeah you can see why we rate him, he'll probably end up biting off more than he can chew sometimes but that changes with experience for the most part.

The one about 20 seconds in was totally the wrong option to give a handball to a guy under immediate pressure, did well to work their way out of it but that kick out to the wing at the end was mint!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back