Player Watch #9 Will Hayward

Remove this Banner Ad

OJ091219MW2517.JPG

Will Hayward
Spritely Sydney Swans forward Will Hayward enjoyed a rocketing start to his career as he became the 11th-youngest player in the AFL era to reach 50 career goals in 2018. The 2016 draftee’s nippy pace and cunning goal awareness have made him a dangerous option in coach John Longmire’s forward line. A broken jaw and a persistent hip injury limited Hayward to just 12 goals in 13 senior games in 2019, but the South Australian is attacking the 2020 campaign on the back of his first full pre-season. Don’t be surprised if the exciting Swan finds himself on a wing this year.

Will Hayward
DOB: 26 October 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #21, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Walkerville (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

Looks the better prospect out of last years draftees. Florent is ok but I think he'll be cut once the other players return, with Hayward taking McGlynns old spot.

Hayward was always the more ready made. No doubt Florent will be good though.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/sydney-sw...fter-their-first-meeting-20170428-gvurzk.html
"You walk in as a first-year and there's 45 senior AFL players and you think you'd go in and it'd be the most daunting thing ever and within two weeks I had 45 new best mates," Hayward said.
"Everyone loves everyone and everyone wants everyone to get better.
"When you're playing on defenders like Dane Rampe and Heath Grundy, it gets you used to the bigger bodies that senior footy throws at you.
"We're not where we want to be. We're all really really positive and I think we can turn it around this week.
"That's the main focus, putting the path behind us and starting fresh this week. Hopefully we can get the result."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like this kid a lot. He's a far better prospect as a forward than Towers or Rohan even though he'll have similar physical attributes. Leads well and has good hands, and a reliable set shot.

Some bulk and he's a 2-3 goal a game player.

A natural forward. Good pick up.

I like this kid a lot. He's a far better prospect as a forward than Towers or Rohan even though he'll have similar physical attributes. Leads well and has good hands, and a reliable set shot.

Some bulk and he's a 2-3 goal a game player.

A natural forward. Good pick up.
Rohan, IMO, can only really be played in 2 positions but can do well in another. Ideally, he's a lead up marking forward out of the goal square (no campaigner could kick it to him anyway). The other position is the wing, where he's the one carrying the ball and pumping into the 50. The third position (at a pinch) was where he should've been yesterday, prior to half time and that was where he was needed...HBF!

Speaking of the wing and hbf positions, what ever happened to our run and carry and bouncing of the ball? Shaw out, bounce out?

Unfortunately, our coaches have NFI at the moment :(

P.S. Sorry, slightly off topic there but yes Hayward does look good, just needs bulk and an engine!

Here I was bemoaning our lack of good small forward goal sneaks and we get Papley drop out of the clouds last year and Hayward looks like the genuine article this year and still only 18. I'm pretty happy with this development.

Really like the kid but it might be time to give him a run in the reserves where he can experience what it is like to be in a winning side.On second thoughts, maybe keep him in the side for Brisbane.

Good call

Cracking pass to Towers in that first qtr!

He'll go in and out of games and likely won't hold his spot all year. But signs are excellent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back