What’s your greatest personal football highlight.

Remove this Banner Ad

I once made a representative team at under 18 level for my local association. I was pretty chuffed with myself.

Other than that, I remember playing in an elimination final in under 12s in which I was crook all morning, was given a lot of sugar and some panadol pre game. I managed to kick 2 goals in the first 10 minutes and give off another 2. I barely touched the ball in the 2nd quarter and by halfway through the third quarter I was asleep on the bench and don't remember anything more from the game. We won the game, then won the preliminary final and then the flag that year.

I played two games for Melbourne (in their zone) Little League back in the day when you had to be selected as a good player, & played on the G.

This coincided with players from my local league away on state carnivals.

Don't judge me!

I played two games for Melbourne (in their zone) Little League back in the day when you had to be selected as a good player, & played on the G.

Don't judge me!
Do you drive a Range Rover?

Don't judge me!

I also played 2 games for Melbourne little league under the same rules, both were at VFL park.
Did you play in the Bentleigh McKinnon YC comp ?

Snagging 6 in a half of footy for my school.. wind was blowing a gale that day.. spent the other half down back.

Playing soccer for my Uni.. snagged a hat trick v Tassie Uni. The first pigeon hole was in the first coupla.. started the game with a dart in me gob.. hadn't finished it right.. so I decided to run over to The Tassie bench and blow smoke rings at em. And I was like.. how do you like that and that re.. they lost it a bit at me and that re.. and they went after me on the pitch after that and that re.. copped a few.. khehaseto.. but dished a few out as well mate.. that's what motivated me to snag 3 on the day.. told the lads to spark one up for me after I score again.. so I can stand in front of their bench like a statue of a Greek God blowing rings at em. We shook hands at the end of the game though.. they thought I was a brilliant soccer player and a funny bugger.. had a few beers and laughs with them after the game as well and that re.
Speaking as a Tasmanian I don't think UTAS has ever fielded a side to write home about.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Speaking as a Tasmanian I don't think UTAS has ever fielded a side to write home about.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

They took offence to anyone who could dribble the ball mate.. butchered me every chance they got.. inspired me to snag a hat trick of sausage rolls.

Last edited:
I think it was under 14s against Sunbury rovers. I lined up at centre half back on David Schwarz. He was a late grower so wasn't that tall. I managed to out mark him twice in the first quarter. After the first one he called me a NTTAWWT after the second one he punched me in the head. He got on top after that.

Didn't think he'd go on to have a 25 year career on radio - talking for a living.

I also played 2 games for Melbourne little league under the same rules, both were at VFL park.
Did you play in the Bentleigh McKinnon YC comp ?
Yep, though both my matches were at the G.

Signed for Collingwood at 15 when the great Ronnie Mitchell came to my house and locked me in as a Magpie. Was part of the Under 15 and 17 squads. Kicked 5 on Rowdy Brown as a 6 ft 4 wingman. Also kicked 4 on Jason Croall in a final. Shattered my arm at 16 in a bike accident that left substantial nerve damage and required many surgeries, plates and pins. Was told I would never play football again. Took up another sport and went on to play internationally over many years. Took up footy again at 32 after not having played a game for 16 years and played A and B Grade VAFA captaining a flag. Ironically I played 157 games straight as a CHF without an injury. Oh what could have been. Would have traded representing Australia to play just one game for my beloved Pies.
Nice work. Was Ron Mitchell, Jeff and Debbie's old man? Lived in Yallambie and Jeff played as a left footed forward for Montmorency in B&W.
Mad Pies fans and I reckon their father may have scouted for the Pies.
You must have been known as 'North of the Yarra' then!

I captained Kimbarra to the House Football premiership at (then) Mitcham High School. The kid who captained Kimbarra before me played in the 1967 & 1969 VFL Premiership teams. I rose to no such heights.
But I did kick the winning goal for Ferntree Gully against Lilydale one day.

Signed for Collingwood at 15 when the great Ronnie Mitchell came to my house and locked me in as a Magpie. Was part of the Under 15 and 17 squads. Kicked 5 on Rowdy Brown as a 6 ft 4 wingman. Also kicked 4 on Jason Croall in a final. Shattered my arm at 16 in a bike accident that left substantial nerve damage and required many surgeries, plates and pins. Was told I would never play football again. Took up another sport and went on to play internationally over many years. Took up footy again at 32 after not having played a game for 16 years and played A and B Grade VAFA captaining a flag. Ironically I played 157 games straight as a CHF without an injury. Oh what could have been. Would have traded representing Australia to play just one game for my beloved Pies.
Great effort. Who did you play for in the VAFA?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got the ball in a pack and booted it forward as hard as I could, it bounced all over the place and dribbled across the goal line. My Leigh Brown moment.
Watching my daughter play Auskick on the MCG.

Footy tragic, loved playing , went from 10 years old to 50 years old, only year i didnt play was 1994 as i lived in Dublin for a year. Playing superrules over 35 was as much fun as any

My army unit made the Sydney region grand final beating 3RAR in major semi while most of their gun players were out in the field. The buggers made there way the long way to the grand final where they met us again. Their side had most of the Army Rep players that returned, they beat us 9 to 7. All their points from penalty goals. Played in centres against the ADF rep centres and kept them reasonably quiet.

Played in 3 winning soccer grand finals in under 8/9/10 in Toowoomba. Almost made the QLD squad. Moved to Hong Kong and was the only Aussie kid to represent Hong Kong island armed forces side with all other players from UK.
Played half a year at Montmorency U14 (coz they wore pies jumpers!!!) But broke my hand in a fight at school... Played in a premiership U17 Macleod team as an average interchange bench player. Apart from the flag and end of season trip, the 'highlight' was playing against West Ivanhoe (total thugs). I was forward pocket. 6ft 4 bean pole. A ball is kicked high and I have to go for it as it's just me and a Maori giant 3 times my weight, portly is being kind. I stand waiting to be flattened. He runs/waddles up behind, as he approached the earth shook and I still stood arms in the air. He tried to to a specky but only managed to cork me so badly and knock himself out running into my pool cue elbow...we both went down like bags of poo... my Dad said it was the funniest thing he'd ever seen on a footy field... west Ivanhoe started an all in brawl... I think we won...

I was a terrible footballer, I wore glasses but when I played as a junior I didn’t wear them playing so couldn’t see a thing but I was obsessed with the game and wanted to play. I had a lot of speed as a kid in fact I was lighting fast, 4th quickest in the state at one point, so I was played on the wing. In my last game of under 18’s which was my last game of footy I kicked 2 goals from the wing and was tearing up and down the ground like a crazy person. I’d never got more than a handful of possessions in a game, this game I got 12. I couldn’t kick it out of sight on a foggy night but managed to snag one from 35 out, a massive kick. I got a bit lippy, as usual and was cleaned up by someone I never saw coming. They got 2 weeks, I got broken ribs and that was the end of the season and my career. I went to basketball where I could wear my glasses and at least see the ball.
Might not seem like much but it was a great game for a footy obsessed kid who couldn’t play the game.
I coached the juniors at my local club for a few years which I found very rewarding.

Kicked the winning goal for the Saints in a Little league grand final against Carlton! The Carlton crowd booed us on the lap honour.

Kicked 6 out 9 goals in an U17 Grand Final winning team against a side that beat us by 20 goals in the second semi.

Kicked 10 in a Grand Final winning team in A grade ESCFA.

Pasting Jack Silvagni

Played my footy in Sydney and was playing Sydney Uni in the SFL GF in 1982 from memory. I was playing FB and their FF kicked over 100 goals that season. They kicked a point very early and I took the kick out. A beautiful short pass hit their FF on the chest and he duly kicked the goal.
Anger and embarrassment spurred me on and I kept him goal-less for the rest of the game and smashed him (legally then) at every opportunity. We won the GF and it was the first of a run of 3 in a row.
What I'm taking out of this is your intense anger at someone else for your own heck up :tearsofjoy: But also congrats on the triple.

My claim to football fame is a good one. I was the opposing full forward to Matthew Richardson in a high school game in Devonport in '88 or '89. From memory he kicked 13, while I got frostbite. Everyone knew he was going to make it, even when he was 13. Me, not so much. I had my best (and last season) in Year 10, 1991. Kicked a few, but I had juvenile arthritis that destroyed my knees, and pretty much ruined my chance of doing anything more strenuous than walking ever again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back