Review What do you mean we f**king won at Geelong?

Remove this Banner Ad

LOL gotta love the caller who rang 5AA after the game to complain about the umpiring, which was so biased in Port's favour. How often have we been screwed by the umpires at the Cattery - nice to get one back for once.
they won the free kick count 19 v 17.

In the game day thread I wrote at 3/4 time Frees went from 12 v 8 in our favour to 14 v 13. I reckon 15 v 22 will be final result.

I just want Sinn for now to attack the ball ferociously and use his leg speed from HB to create run and carry. Also to defend intensely when it’s his turn to. The kicking should come. I liked that he was still involved in the play late and trying to evade opponents and get some speed on the ball.
Sinn appeared hellbent on executing low, penetrating kicks on some challenging angles to open up the play. Unfortunately a little rusty to pull it off but much looked better going to longer targets. Definitely deserves another game

The game itself was good. We spent our tickets early, Cats came back, we held on. Sometimes thats how games go. They are clearly fitter and play a more efficient style, and we had nerves late too. We need to learn from that and get a lesson in the fitness, efficiency and composure from a club that will stick with it til the end.

The talk pregame and the celebration postgame was pathetic and embarrassing. Its a home and away game, not a grand final. It doesnt make up for the opportunities we have blown, as recently as last week when we lost for the third time in a row to a side that hasnt even made finals.

A serious coach is telling the players after that game that the first half is now the expectation. They've shown what they can do away from home vs a top team. As professional athletes thats the level they need to deliver week in week out. No more excuses about trips from Tullamarine or injuries. Thats the level you perform at or you go to the SNAFL.

Also I have no idea why umpiring is being talked about. Cats won the free kick count despite in most cases being second to the ball. They did get the rub of the green but not enough to influence the result.

If you look at the neutrals on fb they're all saying umpire were helping the cats.

Earlier one, umps yelling out touch 5 or 6 times, defenders let if go through as a rush behind. Goal umpire wants the video and over rule.
As soon as they went upstairs, I thought “oh no, Port are about to get screwed”. There was no way they should be able to over turn that, the call on the ground clearly influenced the play.

Ratugolea ruining Tom Hawkins day :thumbsu:
Ratugolea was huge, but Hawkins has been in pretty poor touch. Normally Port play them into form, not tonight.

Same way as Sam Pepper Powell-Pepper gets four weeks

AFL
I’m amazed there are was no HIA for either Drew or Cameron. And that wasn’t even the worst Cameron head knock.

I'm very firmly in the "we need a new coach" camp, but the change in the game plan in the first was a revelation. Clearly caught the oppo off guard too, to the extent they sub on a tagger to nullify JHF.

It's almost like we did take notice of last week, and made changes to counter it. Colour me shocked (and pleased).

Yeah we almost blew it, we are flakey under pressure and there were many WTF moments later in the game, but the entire team should get some confidence about how good their good can be.

It's a hallmark of our wins that we get the "all played well" review, and that's largely between the ears.

Oh, and who's been wearing Ollie's jumper this year? So pleased he got it back yesterday, that's a stunning return to form. Three votes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wines showed last night why he is a brownlow medallist. ******* ran in to the ball like a brick wall all game and stood up because he needed to.

JHF. That was not the game of a 3rd year player. That was the game of a 200+ game great. He's so composed with the football, I know he's been compared to Buckley a lot but I also see a lot of Pendlebury/Judd in his game. It's like time just slows for him and he finds passes that other players just can't make, plus that burst of speed and goal scoring impact. He's an absolute freak. And we have at least 10 more years of that, can you believe it.

Butters huge. We all know his quality so nothing more needs to be said. Captains game.

Jackson Mead, I was definitely wrong about him. I thought he was borderline 22 this year but he just needed more opportunity, no good sticking him on a half forward flank. He's an AFL level midfielder, no doubt about it. When Boak and Wines are done he's a lock.

And it's about time we beat those heck wits at HGH stadium.

I don't even care about the collapse, we earned that win 100%. I don't think there's room for negativity after winning at a stadium for the first time in 17 years. We can save that for next week when we lose to the Hawks.

What a difference well executed kicking into our forwards makes. Houston's pass to a leading Todd Marshall in the first quarter was a classic example. A pity the out of touch Marshall did not slot the goal. As I watched I kept thinking that Ken should be replaying the first quarter time and time again to show what can be achieved with a bit of system and accurate disposal. I didn't see much of Big Charlie in the first quarter and I suspect he was off of the ground for a lot of it. Maybe that altered our delivery into the forward 50?

Our young guys did well, Visentini did a great job at the centre bounces and there was a bit to like about Sinn and Mead.

Great effort from Junior Rioli and probably the best game he has played for us.

The umpiring was reasonable but I wish someone would teach these guys to bounce the bloody ball. Even the throw ups from one guy were not straight.

A gobsmacking result and well done! Anyone back us and if so what did it pay?

Interesting that Chris Scott referred to us in the presser as an ‘emotional team’ and that we can run hot (and also cold) - not sure if that’s a great title to have.

With Rozee out, and Wines playing his best game in a while - it shows that we could afford to play one of Rozee, JHF or Butters up forward for longer.

With the extra ins and fresher legs this week - I wonder if fitness and having a young side is playing its part. Both with us being an ‘emotional side’ and also not feeling like we can manage hanging tough in other games.

Perhaps going hard on a squad mentality and actually rotating and managing a few players might be a smart move to get through to the end of the year.

Also I have no idea why umpiring is being talked about. Cats won the free kick count despite in most cases being second to the ball. They did get the rub of the green but not enough to influence the result.

If you look at the neutrals on fb they're all saying umpire were helping the cats.

What gets me is how we get a good run at the start of the game, the crowd starts whinging and then the umpires slowly relent and push it back in their favour. This happens to us semi regularly in away games but it never works that way in our home games. Why?

A gobsmacking result and well done! Anyone back us and if so what did it pay?

We were paying $3.85 pre game.

Don't think we would've won a game against those odds in the Hinkley era. Maybe West Coast at Optus 2019? Even then we probably weren't that big an outsider.

Well that didn’t go to script, not even the dark Sith Lord on the sidelines could believe we managed to pull it off. At the final siren he didn’t know whether to run off & embrace the nearest Cats jumper or seek out his own.

As to the game itself, it appeared we were in full control until Willie threw his putter into the adjacent lake after 3 putting from 6 inches out. It was all the Cats needed to come roaring back to life & almost stealing it.

We had some outstanding contributions throughout the night, but Ollie was the pick of the bunch for mine, turning back the clock & pulling out a performance reminiscent of his Brownlow year.

Butters was superb as acting Captain, just found another level, while JHF once again proved he is heading towards greatness. His composure, decision making & ferocious attack on the ball is mouth watering good.

Big tick for Dante, just love his never say die attitude & competitive nature, we’ve found a good one here.

Extremely happy for Sinn, he’s coming from a long way back but possesses some strong AFL traits. I hope the selectors persist with him for now.

I get a lot of things wrong, but I do remember in the preseason calling for Mead to be given a crack in the midfield with Rozee rotating out onto a wing. I know it’s early days, but I think Mead is a pure onballer, while Rozee is more suited to an outside wing/HFF role.

Esava was fantastic back in familiar surroundings, while Farrell was also very important.

On TV, it didn’t look like we pressed as high this week, so maybe they have adjusted the playbook after last weeks sh*tshiw against the Crows.

Kenny’s back baby!

You are right. I have been a bit harsh on most of the 3rd quarter effort.

The 22.48 mark is when Willie snaps the goal from 35 out, from the boundary throw in and its 14.7 to 8.8.

6 goals up and I thought, we kick 2 more and get to 16 goals, we win as they will only kick 12 or 13 goals if we keep a 5 or 6 goal margin for most of the rest of the game. Highlights show its 4.40 left when Willie goals.

Up to that pt we have scored 2.2 vs 3.2 and they did have the majority of the momentum, but not that much more than we had.

Then we go loose in defence, Closes goal at 26.54 after taking an uncontested mark 35m out, and I think, don't give any more goals away there is only 3 minutes or so left in the 3rd quarter. Willie then has his brain fade with the clock shows 1.26 to go when Gutherie is marched 100m up the field. There is 1.05 to go when Gutherie kicks the goal.

We can't win the ball out of the guts, or just kill it for multiple ball ups and then Aliir gives away a terrible free to Dempsey, who goes back and goals and we have handed over the momenteum. Go to the 3/4 time break 14.8 to 9.8 and we can't lose. Instead they are on 11.8.

When Georgiades took that great mark and solid conversion we go 4 goals up again and I think 1 more and we win. JHF should have kicked the 16th and locked it up. But he had a shocker. At least he kicked a point.

So we played 2.75 very good quarters, but struggled and went back to old habits and made some stupid errors in the remaining 1.25 quarters.

Can’t argue with the clock, but the champagne stopped flowing when Dixon misses his set shot 11 mins into second quarter. Cats then get two quickly before Butters scores against run of play with a freak snap. By now we are playing an extra down back and going slow. Pattern continues into second half, where we unbelievably start to see long kicks down the line. We played into their hands after half time.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Can people see the connection between Rozee being out and Wines stepping his game up? There's only so many possessions in a game of football, there's only so many midfield minutes in a game of football. I think rather than criticising people need to acknowledge that this is a Brownlow medallist who has put his ego aside and become a role player for the betterment of the team. He can still do it when we need him to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back