Social Science What is the general public's view of teenagers?

Remove this Banner Ad

terrible beat selection, sitting through the album was impossible because of how much of a mess it was. GKMC is about 100 levels above
That says far more about you than it does about the album, it is, in a musical sense the greatest rap album ever and that’s not even taking into account how good Kendrick was on it. I think the reason a lot of people don’t appreciate a lot of modern rap is that it’s far too complex for their minds too understand. No longer is the genre dominated by rappers with pretty basic flows over simplistic boom gap beats but it is diverse to the point oldheads can’t keep up and instead label it terrible.

He’s not, barely anyone under the age of 30 listens to hard rock.

Well there were a lot of young people at Download, there’s a whole other younger heavy music scene from the older s**t that the oldies like me were there for.

I just don’t think you listen to it, it’s unarguably the most successful period of rap and it’s also musically superior to any other period.

See now I think you don’t understand the idea of music, there’s nothing “unarguable” about musical success, it’s all opinion. “Musically superior” is also very subjective.

See now I think you don’t understand the idea of music, there’s nothing “unarguable” about musical success, it’s all opinion. “Musically superior” is also very subjective.
I should have said commercial success you are correct.
It’s not really all that subjective, some things are more musically technical than others, and thus superior.

Well there were a lot of young people at Download, there’s a whole other younger heavy music scene from the older s**t that the oldies like me were there for.
Parkway Drive have had at least one, maybe two, albums go to the top of the ARIA charts. Heavy music, aside from a couple of outliers, tends to stay in the shadows but it's still very much there.

I should have said commercial success you are correct.
It’s not really all that subjective, some things are more musically technical than others, and thus superior.

You’re wrong about the second bit, technicality does not mean superior. AC/DC are musically superior than Dream Theater for a lot of people, it takes a lot of talent to write memorable simple stuff. Depends if your idea of “musically superior” is writing a great song or playing scales as fast as possible.

Parkway Drive have had at least one, maybe two, albums go to the top of the ARIA charts. Heavy music, aside from a couple of outliers, tends to stay in the shadows but it's still very much there.

Yeah and Amity Affliction are another one “the youngies” listen to that are heavy I believe. I’m sure it’s definitely got a dedicated fan base for young people, like I said it certainly seemed to at DL.

13092-e1360333609610.jpg

Definitely NOT hard rock. Closer to metalcore/screamo... Which is currently popular

Sent from mTalk

Well, at least we can all agree that R&B used to be better (Inb4 gym4life tells me Chris Brown is better than Usher)
Depends what genre you place the weeknd and frank ocean in, overall I agree though.

Definitely NOT hard rock. Closer to metalcore/screamo... Which is currently popular

Sent from mTalk
Didn't say they were hard rock. For most though, including music charts, hard rock and heavy metal (and everything inbetween) are often though of as one in the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't say they were hard rock. For most though, including music charts, hard rock and heavy metal (and everything inbetween) are often though of as one in the same.

But they're not.

There's still a distinct difference between hard rock and heavy metal.

Metal will always have a following. There will always be kids drawn to it, for outcasts and downtrodden.

Rock is dying. It used to be good time party music but the majority of youth now prefer hip hop genres for that. There's no place for it amongst youth anymore. Foo Fighters and Nickelback may be the last hard rock acts to make it big.

Sent from mTalk

But they're not.

Metal will always have a following. There will always be kids drawn to it, for outcasts and downtrodden.

Rock is dying. It used to be good time party music but the majority of youth now prefer hip hop genres for that. There's no place for it amongst youth anymore. Foo Fighters and Nickelback may be the last hard rock acts to make it big.

Sent from mTalk

Not for me, bands like Zeppelin, Sabbath, hell even Tool get both labels. Even Nickleback (who I detest) have some metallic elements for sure. Many bands show elements of more than one genre so it's hard to call a band one thing or the other, it's subjective anyway.

Not for me, bands like Zeppelin, Sabbath, hell even Tool get both labels. Even Nickleback (who I detest) have some metallic elements for sure. Many bands show elements of more than one genre so it's hard to call a band one thing or the other, it's subjective anyway.

It certainly is, but the three chord rock with the sing along choruses, where that thing represents over half their catalogue. That's what I'm talking about.

AC/DC has songs that bordered on metal, but 7 outta 10 songs where plain old rock. That part isn't subjective. Megadeth made a pop rock album, but nobody is claiming that overrules all the thrash. Bon Jovi went country.

That sorta sound, the world has moved on.

Sent from mTalk

But they're not.

Sent from mTalk
The stereotype of the metal fan, throw in bogan and unwashed and that's pretty much the demographic according to most.
For what it's worth I went to the Killswitch Engage gig where they played the 20th anniversary of Alive or Just Breathing and there was no shortage of teenage kids.
Still plenty of big rock bands out there. Muse, Arctic Monkeys, Imagine Dragons (eww), Queens of the Stone Age, Portugal The Man, Twenty One Pilots.
Even Stone Sour gets radio play on commercial stations so I think there's still a market for it.

It certainly is, but the three chord rock with the sing along choruses, where that thing represents over half their catalogue. That's what I'm talking about.

AC/DC has songs that bordered on metal, but 7 outta 10 songs where plain old rock. That part isn't subjective. Megadeth made a pop rock album, but nobody is claiming that overrules all the thrash. Bon Jovi went country.

That sorta sound, the world has moved on.

Sent from mTalk

Fair point I suppose, I guess bands can get caught up in what's popular, even bands like Slayer who kind of went nu metal at one point are still Slayer, I think I know what you're getting at.

Well I disagree with the bolded though, it's what I listen to of course so I'm biased but it's still definitely there. Rock music in general will always have a place while kids are wanting to learn drums and guitar and playing them loud. Plus it's much cheaper to make something half decent sounding for bugger all with digital technology.

It's the music landscape that has changed more than the music itself I think, it's hard to make money out of recorded music nowadays as I understand it, I don't think people get major label support anymore, or as much anyway. I guess you can get a certain amount of notoriety but to get really big seems tougher now, you look at many festivals and it tends to be old names past their best.

Of course, it's all cultural.

Airbourne have found oodles more success in Europe than they ever could in Australia. Rose Tattoo still play Wacken when they'd struggle to fill an RSL, etc.

Of course, it's all cultural.

Airbourne have found oodles more success in Europe than they ever could in Australia. Rose Tattoo still play Wacken when they'd struggle to fill an RSL, etc.
Because Australians are far to savvy for Airbourne. We have heard it all before with AC/DC. There is wearing your influences which is fine, then there is just blatant laziness and flat out copying. Not an original bone in their bodies between them.
Same goes for that horrid led zep rip off, to a tee...what are they called? Some s**t, cant remember.

Not really.

For the first time in 40 years, teenagers don't like rock n roll. That's a relevant change in society.
Which is ok I
Airbourne aren't like AC/DC.

There's no blues influence in their style.

If anything, they are closer to The Angels/Rose Tattoo.
Yeah.
Nah.
They are a dead set copy of AC/DC.
Blues - rock - one note difference in a pentatonic scale.
Not relevant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back