Sports What the greatest prize in sport for an Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

IPL.

Plus his CA contract is much the same due to playing all 3 forms (though it's debatable whether he actually plays Test cricket).
He's the Nick Maxwell of the Test XI.
I know next to nothing about cricket, but how big is the discrepancy between playing for Australia and being someone who just plays in the Sheffield Shield? Whenever i've seen highlights of Sheffield Shield on the TV, there are more seagulls on the field than spectators in the stands, just wondering where the money comes from.
Ten years ago there wasn't a great discrepancy between the Shield and Test cricket and a lot of good players played little or no Test cricket when if they had played in another country they would have had a long career. I fear this is not the case anymore.

He's the Nick Maxwell of the Test XI.

Pretty good comarison, he's the definition of a role player. Half a batsman, half a bowler, makes a full player in the eyes of selectors. :drunk:

He's so damn lucky that Faulkner got injured on the eve of the Saffas series.

I know next to nothing about cricket, but how big is the discrepancy between playing for Australia and being someone who just plays in the Sheffield Shield? Whenever i've seen highlights of Sheffield Shield on the TV, there are more seagulls on the field than spectators in the stands, just wondering where the money comes from.

The money trickles down from Cricket Australia funding, most are on contracts similar to what new AFL draftees would make, with the potential to make more from any franchise T20 league around.

People forget he was quite literally inferior to no other winger in the world for a bit. And not only that, but he was only 21, 22, 23 at the time. I think Liverpool being more fashionable and successful 20 or 30 years earlier halted his stature, but Barcelona, Real Madrid, AC Milan, Arsenal... they all really wanted him. But the one that could've made him absolutely massive was Manchester United. Huge club still in the Becks and treble afterglow, winning things, and some bogan from western Sydney's on the team sheet every weekend. It's cool he chose the club he always supported, though. But it's a pity he's such a boring, dumb, uninteresting and banal and fffffffffick person and un-ambassador of the game.

I'm not a huge student of the game but I can recognise things when I see them. I vividly remember when Harry was young and playing with the Socceroos, it was like he was 2 steps ahead of the rest of his team mates and they literally had no idea. He was that much better than them, it stood out like the proverbial.

It reminded me on a local level of watching Greg Williams playing footy.

A middle of the range player on an Aus contract, let's say Haddin, would be on a million plus while a middle of the range player in the shield, let's say David Hussey before his form went last year, would be on ~100k with Victoria. Big bash contracts are separate, then the IPL, county cricket, bangladesh/carribean T20 etc etc. The good domestic players that get contracts overseas would still be earning a fortune.

Also the cricketer's collective bargaining agreement is that x% of revenue goes back to players. It is 25% of all revenue generated back to the players, which is why guys like Clarke and Watson are earning ridiculous money. The ALPA wanted to go down this route because the players only get a very small percentage of revenue in comparison from the AFL.

Theres a lot more money in cricket these days than there was 20 years ago, even 10 years ago

The top class Australian players are collecting multi millions and have a pretty sweet gig getting to travel the world, have extended regular breaks etc.

But from outside the best 15 players in the country, there wasnt a lot on offer for the rest. They got by on shield contracts that werent anything special, just regular joe wages for the most part while other players would still need to work

Since T20 though its changed a lot. New and young players can earn really good coin playing overseas in various T20 leagues, along with the big bash here in Australia

A middle of the range player on an Aus contract, let's say Haddin, would be on a million plus while a middle of the range player in the shield, let's say David Hussey before his form went last year, would be on ~100k with Victoria. Big bash contracts are separate, then the IPL, county cricket, bangladesh/carribean T20 etc etc. The good domestic players that get contracts overseas would still be earning a fortune.

Players in the BPL don't get paid...

...unless they fix matches. :rainbow:

Golf has got it pretty easy.

Lots of cash, always living in Summer, making a living doing what just about every male I know spends a fair chunk of cash on and soon to be an Olympic sport. So in terms of achievements any of the four Majors in golf is right up there, ala Scott's victory last year, being world number 1 is another feather in his cap also.

100m spring is an interesting one. For half a year the winner of that event is a very famous man and along with that comes a lot of endoresments, and thats where all the money is

I might look it up later, but whos earned more money out of (including career earnings and endorsement money)

Bolt
Messi
Lebron
Beckham
Cahill
Federer

Bolt would have the lowest sports earnings I would imagine, but his endorsements would be very wealthy

Questoins to ask, can a white man ever win it? Probably not. Can an indigenous Australian ever win it? We havent really seen any get close have we? Is it possible without doping regardless? How many Austrlians do we have with strong african blood lines with enough fast twitch fibers to compete?

Australian Patrick Johnson (who's ancestry is half aboriginal, half irish) holds the record for fastest time by a person of non-African decent with a time of 9.93. The only other non-African to run under 10 seconds was Frenchman Christophe Lemaitre who ran 9.98 about 5 years ago. He's a stick insect compared to the guys he competes against though.

(Johnson)
6s_Johnson,0.jpg

(Lemaitre - does he even lift?)
Christophe-Lemaitre100728InactionR300.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Golf has got it pretty easy.

Lots of cash, always living in Summer, making a living doing what just about every male I know spends a fair chunk of cash on and soon to be an Olympic sport. So in terms of achievements any of the four Majors in golf is right up there, ala Scott's victory last year, being world number 1 is another feather in his cap also.

Plus it's a sport you can keep playing well past 40.

School 4 square/downball champion.

Pretty prestigous crown if you can hold it through both recess and lunch. :thumbsu:

Really?? Who even holds the title now? UFC seems to overshadow boxing nowadays.
Certainly lost its prestige since the 80s and 90s, no doubt. But the WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLE world would've known who Muhammad Ali was back in the mid last century, and Mike Tyson towards the end, for good or bad reasons.

But, his mumma call him Clay, imma call him Clay.

Oh he Clay.

Damn right.

Really?? Who even holds the title now? UFC seems to overshadow boxing nowadays.

There's more than one title but Wladimir Klitschko is recognised as the true HW champion, has the IBF, WBO and WBA titles as well as the Ring Magazine title.

And Floyd Mayweather was the highest earning sportsman in the world last year, over $100M, no MMA fighter would get within cooee of that. The UFC have been struggling to sell PPVs lately and boxing is still selling pretty well in comparison. I love MMA too but boxing ain't dying.

Not no names. But a heavyweight boxer wouldn't have been as big on the world stage as guys like Tiger or Messi for a while.

Yeah true enough, they're arguably the greatest ever at sports that (i'd reckon) would have larger followings around the world though. But believe me, if a guy like Tyson came along again people would take notice that's for sure. Lennox Lewis was arguably a greater fighter than Tyson but didn't take people out like he did, just jab jab and then right eventually (much like the Klitschkos for that matter).

This is a cool Tyson intro in his prime, used to make great boxers like Spinks s**t their pants, he had him beaten before they even touched gloves (this was when Tyson unified the world titles with a 90 second ko).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back