Sports What the greatest prize in sport for an Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

^^This. Fastest person on earth, and you only get the chance to prove it in such a way once every 4 years, as opposed to the annual events.
Second fastest on Earth. The 200m winner is technically faster than the 100m winner under normal circumstances. (Not that it currently matters, they are both currently the same guy anyway).

People forget he was quite literally inferior to no other winger in the world for a bit. And not only that, but he was only 21, 22, 23 at the time. I think Liverpool being more fashionable and successful 20 or 30 years earlier halted his stature, but Barcelona, Real Madrid, AC Milan, Arsenal... they all really wanted him. But the one that could've made him absolutely massive was Manchester United. Huge club still in the Becks and treble afterglow, winning things, and some bogan from western Sydney's on the team sheet every weekend. It's cool he chose the club he always supported, though. But it's a pity he's such a boring, dumb, uninteresting and banal and fffffffffick person and un-ambassador of the game.
Why is he boring?

Why is he boring?
Well he's never said anything funny, engaging, unique. He trots out cliches and lives the life of one. Just banal. Bozza's a loudmouth but at least he's interesting and shows some personality and has some visible fun.

Well he's never said anything funny, engaging, unique. He trots out cliches and lives the life of one. Just banal. Bozza's a loudmouth but at least he's interesting and shows some personality and has some visible fun.
Have you ever heard or read everything that he has said in his entire life? How has he lived the life of a cliche?

Id say winning a Ballon D'or is the biggest individual honour in world sport.

As for something realistic that an Australian can do, captain of the Australian cricket team is probably what gains most national recognition.

100m spring is an interesting one. For half a year the winner of that event is a very famous man and along with that comes a lot of endoresments, and thats where all the money is

I might look it up later, but whos earned more money out of (including career earnings and endorsement money)

Bolt
Messi
Lebron
Beckham
Cahill
Federer

Bolt would have the lowest sports earnings I would imagine, but his endorsements would be very wealthy

Questoins to ask, can a white man ever win it? Probably not. Can an indigenous Australian ever win it? We havent really seen any get close have we? Is it possible without doping regardless? How many Austrlians do we have with strong african blood lines with enough fast twitch fibers to compete?

Good thread. Could probably break it up into the following categories (both male and female):

International Team Sporting Achievement
Domestic Team Sporting Achievement
International Individual Sporting Achievement
Domestic Individual Sporting Achievement

What is the greatest prize? Comes down to personal opinion I would think.

100m spring is an interesting one. For half a year the winner of that event is a very famous man and along with that comes a lot of endoresments, and thats where all the money is

I might look it up later, but whos earned more money out of (including career earnings and endorsement money)

Bolt
Messi
Lebron
Beckham
Cahill
Federer

Bolt would have the lowest sports earnings I would imagine, but his endorsements would be very wealthy

Questoins to ask, can a white man ever win it? Probably not. Can an indigenous Australian ever win it? We havent really seen any get close have we? Is it possible without doping regardless? How many Austrlians do we have with strong african blood lines with enough fast twitch fibers to compete?
Tiger Woods would have been very very well paid until the whole, well ya know.

Tiger Woods would have been very very well paid until the whole, well ya know.

Yeah of course, he was on track or has already been the first sportsman to earn a billion dollars

Golf is an interesting one to succeed at, lots of money and travel and longevity

Also his caddy (the NZ guy I've forgotten think it might be Williams?) was NZs highest paid sportsmen for a long time just off his commission from tigers prize money

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bolt
Messi
Lebron
Beckham
Cahill
Federer

Cahill in the same sentence as those stars:oops:..............should've thrown in Casey Dellacqua while you were at it.

Cahill in the same sentence as those stars:oops:..............should've thrown in Casey Dellacqua while you were at it.

I just put him in there for an Australian perspective, I'm aware he's not up to their class

I couldve put Bogut or Webber in there instead, but Cahill is just on our minds at the moment isn't he

Bolt
Messi
Lebron
Beckham
Cahill
Federer

Luckily we have a source for this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes'_list_of_world's_highest-paid_athletes

Messi and LeBron are up there now, but I'd back Federer to have the highest overall wealth of that list, with Tiger ahead of him (been earning a kajillion from endorsements for over a decade). LOL @ Floyd winning $105m for one night.

Not sure on other venture earnings though.

I thought Harry calling a fat guy 'chins' on twitter was fantastic.

Yeah of course, he was on track or has already been the first sportsman to earn a billion dollars

Golf is an interesting one to succeed at, lots of money and travel and longevity

Also his caddy (the NZ guy I've forgotten think it might be Williams?) was NZs highest paid sportsmen for a long time just off his commission from tigers prize money

Greg Norman would probably be the most famous Australian sportsman worldwide, certainly the most well known in America.

I guess Adam Scott would be pretty well known there now too after winning the US Masters last year but he doesn't have the alpha personality, charisma and Great White Shark nickname that made Greg Norman so appealing to Americans.

Cathy Freeman and the Gold......Doesn't get much bigger than that.

Winning the ASHES (being the captain) would rank pretty high aswell.

I want to know how the hell Shane Watson is worth $6 million a year!!! Clarke is "only" on $5 million.

IPL.

Plus his CA contract is much the same due to playing all 3 forms (though it's debatable whether he actually plays Test cricket).

I want to know how the hell Shane Watson is worth $6 million a year!!! Clarke is "only" on $5 million.

I know next to nothing about cricket, but how big is the discrepancy between playing for Australia and being someone who just plays in the Sheffield Shield? Whenever i've seen highlights of Sheffield Shield on the TV, there are more seagulls on the field than spectators in the stands, just wondering where the money comes from.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back