What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For any masochists with a lazy hour or two to spare, Fox Footy currently playing a R19 1996 'classic'(?) between Dogs v Hawks.

Ground surface at Waverley is horrid, crowd is sparse, Hawks belt us towards the end of a horrid year, a porky Dunstall kicks 14 on an even porkier Tony Campbell, our jumpers are an abomination and yet I somehow can't look away.
I was at there and actually spoke to Dunstall in the car park before the game. He was under an injury cloud if I remember correctly and it was surprising to see he was a late inclusion.

Article in the hun about players who kicked on after footy.

Ellis gets a mention for his clothing brand (worth tens of millions) and dimma and Darcy for hospitality interests.

It'd be interesting to know what a lot of our ex-players are currently doing. But it's a bit like stalking... :unamused:

I can tell you about one ex player called Sam Power.

He's the greatest list manager in the history of the game, had a Dodo head mounted on his wall and would no doubt be getting paid millions for his efforts.
It'd be interesting to know what a lot of our ex-players are currently doing. But it's a bit like stalking... :unamused:

I can tell you about one ex player called Sam Power.

He's the greatest list manager in the history of the game, had a Dodo head mounted on his wall and would no doubt be getting paid millions for his efforts.
He should be paid commission for fleecing Collingwood out of $300k per season on the Treloar deal.

What every delisted and retired AFL player has planned for 2021

Tory Dickson (retired) – TBC, but is likely to have a kick at local level at some stage later in the year, potentially at former EFNL club Noble Park

Billy Gowers (delisted) – TBC, but set to play with Southport (VFL and East Coast Second-Tier Competition)

Fergus Greene (delisted) – TBC, but linked to Box Hill Hawks (VFL and East Coast Second-Tier Competition)

Sam Lloyd (retired) – TBC, but likely to play footy in the country somewhere

Brad Lynch (delisted) – Southport (VFL and East Coast Second-Tier Competition)

Callum Porter (delisted) – TBC, but linked to Box Hill Hawks (VFL and East Coast Second-Tier Competition)

Jackson Trengove (delisted) – Barooga (Murray FL)

Matt Suckling (delisted) – TBC … but this Instagram post just days after being delisted by the Bulldogs hinted he might be giving a post-AFL punting career a crack

I know it’s not bulldogs related, but im getting a kick out of Jon Patton’s reputation turn to sh!t for sending lewd pictures to girls online. after how he treated Tom Boyd and said those things about him on radio for leaving gws I’ve hated him ever since. Sucked in Jonny
His antics towards Lewis Young in 2017 was worse. Tried to high five him after Young’s turnover resulted in a GWS goal. You reap what you sow!

From the Hun today:

Aaron Naughton has returned for pre-season training after celebrating his birthday back home in WA
One good thing came out of a COVID-hit season for Aaron Naughton, who has reported back for duty after an extended stay back home.

Matt Turner

@mattturner1986

January 10, 2021 - 6:00AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

0 comments

[PLAYERCARD]Aaron Naughton[/PLAYERCARD] spent his first birthday back home in WA since he was drafted by the Bulldogs. Picture: Michael Klein

Aaron Naughton spent his first birthday back home in WA since he was drafted by the Bulldogs. Picture: Michael Klein

ABBA blares through the speakers as Aaron Naughton makes his way around the room, wearing a fluoro parachute tracksuit, a black bum bag and white retro sunglasses.
It is late November and typically at this time of the year, the Western Bulldogs forward is getting stuck into pre-season training in Melbourne.
But on this day two months ago, he was back home in the West Australian coastal town of Rockingham, throwing a 1980s disco party to celebrate his 21st birthday with family and friends, including teammate Tim English.
“I spent my 18th birthday in my first week at the club and in a normal season the first to four-years (players) are back training on November 30, so since being drafted I’ve never got to spend a birthday back home,” Naughton tells the Herald Sun.
“It was one good thing to come out of the COVID season – the delayed pre-season.
“The whole night was spent with ‘80s tunes … ABBA’s Gimme Gimme Gimme, a few of The Police’s songs, Footloose, Come on Eileen
“Everyone dressed up amazing – I like doing themed stuff … and I’ve always liked ‘80s music.
“It was good fun and a pretty enjoyable night.”
[PLAYERCARD]Aaron Naughton[/PLAYERCARD] celebrated his 21st birthday with an ‘80s disco party

Aaron Naughton celebrated his 21st birthday with an ‘80s disco party
A month on from when the Bulldogs returned to training and 95 days since their 2020 campaign ended with a three-point elimination final loss to St Kilda, Naughton rejoined pre-season on Wednesday.
The club gave him a longer break because the WA government initially denied him the chance to return to his home state straight after the season due to its strict COVID rules, given he was coming out of the Gold Coast hub.
He overcame the frustration of getting knocked back by spending a couple more weeks in Queensland with Marcus Bontempelli, Josh Dunkley and Hayden Crozier, first in Broadbeach and then Noosa.
“I don’t think we cooked a meal for that whole time because we missed being able to go out, sit down and have a nice meal or a few drinks,” Naughton says.
Josh Dunkley has a house up in Noosa … and he has a few jet skis and a boat, so we cruised the river, which was a lot of fun.”
When they were together, Dunkley told the others he wanted a fresh start at Essendon.
“He just told us that was what he was thinking but as a teammate and a mate you support him in any decision he makes,” Naughton says.
“It was a bit of a shock.”
[PLAYERCARD]Aaron Naughton[/PLAYERCARD] sings the club song with [PLAYERCARD]Josh Dunkley[/PLAYERCARD] and [PLAYERCARD]Marcus Bontempelli[/PLAYERCARD] after a win. Picture: AAP

Aaron Naughton sings the club song with Josh Dunkley and Marcus Bontempelli after a win. Picture: AAP
Naughton had just finished a camping trip in WA a few weeks later when he learnt that not only had Dunkley stayed, but the club had secured Adam Treloar from Collingwood and drafted Jamarra Ugle-Hagan at pick one.
“I’m rapt and I think the club’s pretty rapt that Dunks is still there,” Naughton says.
“Once I got back and had reception my phone had blown up saying ‘no way, you’ve got Treloar’.
“Our midfield was already pretty elite, so to get him, it’ll be pretty fun up forward next year.”
Naughton had met Ugle-Hagan because the 18-year-old draftee had come through the club’s Next Generation Academy.
Coach Luke Beveridge is yet to tell them how they will line up this season but former intercept defender Naughton is confident the duo, as well as Josh Bruce, can be a handful for defenders.
“It’s probably a good thing the coaches are spoiled for choice up in the forward line where a couple of years ago they didn’t have that,” says Naughton, who is coming off 15 goals from 12 matches last season, including six against Adelaide, and 32 majors from 23 games in 2019.
“Jamarra’s obviously going to be a super talent for the club and we’re all pretty excited about what he does this year.
“I’m finding my feet more and more each year (in attack), and I’m starting to get the hang of it now.”
[PLAYERCARD]Aaron Naughton[/PLAYERCARD] is feeling more confident as a forward target. Picture: Michael Klein

Aaron Naughton is feeling more confident as a forward target. Picture: Michael Klein
For the 2017 No. 9 draft pick, it will be his first full pre-season.
He battled groin issues in his opening two years, then had knee surgery last summer that delayed the start to his campaign.
“To finish the year without any injuries, have a good run in the off-season and freshen up and not be on crutches over Christmas, it’s been nice,” he says.
Naughton says losing elimination finals in consecutive seasons is proof the club has much to improve on.
But he shares the optimism of those externally who believe the Dogs are primed for another deep major-round run, four years after their fairytale flag from seventh spot.
“It’s obviously devastating to make finals and get knocked out straight away because you never know once you have a couple of weeks in the finals what can happen,” he says.
“Obviously there’s external pressure and belief about our list with players we’ve brought in and players we’ve already got.
“It’s exciting that people from the outside see our list to be that good and you definitely do believe if we do everything right we’ll deserve to be there come finals.”
Naughton will be hoping by his next birthday, he is a premiership player.

I know it’s not bulldogs related, but im getting a kick out of Jon Patton’s reputation turn to sh!t for sending lewd pictures to girls online. after how he treated Tom Boyd and said those things about him on radio for leaving gws I’ve hated him ever since. Sucked in Jonny
Yeah I'm the same as well as J Cameron, hated Paton and I'm not sad one bit he has glass knees that have smashed three times. He comes across as a real prick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For any masochists with a lazy hour or two to spare, Fox Footy currently playing a R19 1996 'classic'(?) between Dogs v Hawks.

Ground surface at Waverley is horrid, crowd is sparse, Hawks belt us towards the end of a horrid year, a porky Dunstall kicks 14 on an even porkier Tony Campbell, our jumpers are an abomination and yet I somehow can't look away.

Haha, maybe they could schedule in the epic 96 Lightning Premiership one day as well?

Apparently he's a little bit of a knob jockey - from some reports.....
I feel like Josh Kennedy (WCE) being a sweetheart is the one major exception to the rule that successful key forwards need to be arrogant dickheads. Jeremy Cameron, Tom Lynch and Jack Riewoldt are 3 of the best key forwards of the last decade, and all are dickheads to some degree (although a little unfair putting Jack in the same bucket as the other two)

I didn't get that at all...

There's every chance he is, but the article tells us nothing as factual, sadly...
Nothing concrete I guess and I’m sure it could change but there’s a couple of quotes in there that at least lead me to believe that Naughty is at this stage planning to play forward.

“Our midfield was already pretty elite, so to get him, it’ll be pretty fun up forward next year.”

“I’m finding my feet more and more each year (in attack), and I’m starting to get the hang of it now.”

Nothing concrete I guess and I’m sure it could change but there’s a couple of quotes in there that at least lead me to believe that Naughty is at this stage planning to play forward.

Oh for sure, it's a natural assumption for him that he'll stay forward as he hasn't been told any different. You'd THINK if they were going to throw him back that someone at the club would contact him prior to coming back, but maybe they don't? You rock up day 1 and get told this is where you'll be...???

The quotes just tell me that's all he's assuming, and planning for, but has zero actual knowledge above what you and I do...

That game is still the saddest I've ever been to.

I left feeling like the club was at death's door 😥

We're in terrific shape these days, but I still shudder thinking about that night.

We must NEVER allow the club to go back to those times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back