Western Bulldogs

Norm De Guerre

Left of the dial.
Mar 27, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Australian Farnarkling XI
Is the Tim English putting on a couple of kg's, the new 'Shaun Higgings is training the house down' meme that the media used to sh*t out every summer?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doggies_13

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Champion data released their elite rankings for players and they are horrendous.

included as elite: mason cox, wingard, Sam Walsh, Motlop, Lyons, Oscar Allen

we are equal most with 5: Dunkley, Williams, Bont, Daniel and Hunter.

Would have macrae as elite over Dunkley and even though Williams had a break out year hardly elite

TBOW

Club Legend
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Champion data released their elite rankings for players and they are horrendous.

Would have macrae as elite over Dunkley and even though Williams had a break out year hardly elite
Yeah West Coast forward line has Darling and Allen as elite and Kennedy not. Just baffling.

Bulldogs85

Club Legend
Sep 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Everyone that works for champion data must be doing some powerful drugs Mason Cox ELITE I think not

Boyd oh Boyd

Premium Platinum
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Most of the players classified as elite when you wouldn't expect them do seem to be the types that are classified as one position but spend a lot of time in another. McEvoy gets stats like an above average key defender, but as they've categorised him as a ruck he's getting better stats than everyone else in his 'position'. Cox and Allen get the same but as key forwards. Fisher and Walsh don't seem elite but maybe because they're above average in so many categories that's enough? Motlop makes 0 sense to me. What a sh*t system.

Virgin Dog

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Most of the players classified as elite when you wouldn't expect them do seem to be the types that are classified as one position but spend a lot of time in another. McEvoy gets stats like an above average key defender, but as they've categorised him as a ruck he's getting better stats than everyone else in his 'position'. Cox and Allen get the same but as key forwards. Fisher and Walsh don't seem elite but maybe because they're above average in so many categories that's enough? Motlop makes 0 sense to me. What a sh*t system.
Quite often Champion Data will put huge weight into specific stats for each position. For example, for Key Forwards, goalkicking accuracy and contested marking are two very important stats. Mason Cox rates elite in both (kicked 14.2 in 11 games, and averaged over 2 contested marks per game). Never mind that he's grossly lacking in other areas, these two areas could have been enough to lift him to elite status. Highly flawed, but that's generally how they function and is a common occurrence when you rely so heavily on what amounts to simplistic stats.

As an example from the Dogs, Bailey Williams ranked reasonably high among defenders (non-key) for score launches (2nd), metres gained (7th), rebound 50s (4th), intercept marks (10th) and score involvements (6th). He was statistically one of the best attacking defenders in 2020, even if he wasn't even in the conversation for AA. Only thing I find strange with this is that Jayden Short basically matches him in all these areas, yet wasn't rated elite. Must have been borderline

Oliver Gigacz

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Quite often Champion Data will put huge weight into specific stats for each position. For example, for Key Forwards, goalkicking accuracy and contested marking are two very important stats. Mason Cox rates elite in both (kicked 14.2 in 11 games, and averaged over 2 contested marks per game). Never mind that he's grossly lacking in other areas, these two areas could have been enough to lift him to elite status. Highly flawed, but that's generally how they function and is a common occurrence when you rely so heavily on what amounts to simplistic stats.

As an example from the Dogs, Bailey Williams ranked reasonably high among defenders (non-key) for score launches (2nd), metres gained (7th), rebound 50s (4th), intercept marks (10th) and score involvements (6th). He was statistically one of the best attacking defenders in 2020, even if he wasn't even in the conversation for AA. Only thing I find strange with this is that Jayden Short basically matches him in all these areas, yet wasn't rated elite. Must have been borderline
^This. The system they use relies WAY too heavily on what position the player is rated on. I know it's very hard to find a system that covers pretty much everything but I personally find this one the worst.

Dreamteam is just old and doesn't cover enough.
AFL Player Ratings rely way too much on accuracy and heavily penalise kicking/handballing backwards so a lot of mids miss out.
Champion Data Player Ratings see what Virgin Dog said above
Champion Data Ranking Points (Supercoach) is generally okay but does overcompensate ruck/mids while key positions can miss out but not always. It's been 12 years since it was last tweaked and it's probably time for another.

The best metric really is the eyes and brain but out of these Ranking Points are probably the closest we've got statistically to that at the moment.

BEaston

Hungry
Oct 9, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Good point. Who knows what metrics they are using for each position... :shrug:

BEaston

Hungry
Oct 9, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
^This. The system they use relies WAY too heavily on what position the player is rated on. I know it's very hard to find a system that covers pretty much everything but I personally find this one the worst.

Dreamteam is just old and doesn't cover enough.
AFL Player Ratings rely way too much on accuracy and heavily penalise kicking/handballing backwards so a lot of mids miss out.
Champion Data Player Ratings see what Virgin Dog said above
Champion Data Ranking Points (Supercoach) is generally okay but does overcompensate ruck/mids while key positions can miss out but not always. It's been 12 years since it was last tweaked and it's probably time for another.

The best metric really is the eyes and brain but out of these Ranking Points are probably the closest we've got statistically to that at the moment.
I don't like that Ranking Points has a finite number of points per game. That doesn't really make sense as a statistical model to me (Although I understand why they do it). Secondly, the adjustment for "game-winning" actions like clutch goals, etc. Again doesn't make sense in a statistical model.

Do you have any additional information regarding the penalty of disposing backwards in AFL ratings? I could see why that would make sense if they have simulated (or tested) scoring likelihood of possession position/direction and weight the possession with respect to that model. At least it would be based on data.

Oliver Gigacz

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don't like that Ranking Points has a finite number of points per game. That doesn't really make sense as a statistical model to me (Although I understand why they do it). Secondly, the adjustment for "game-winning" actions like clutch goals, etc. Again doesn't make sense in a statistical model.

Do you have any additional information regarding the penalty of disposing backwards in AFL ratings? I could see why that would make sense if they have simulated (or tested) scoring likelihood of possession position/direction and weight the possession with respect to that model. At least it would be based on data.
I believe it's around 0.4 points for anything backwards.

I agree with your points regarding Ranking Ponts, however out of all the systems it's the one that generally comes close to what I would have as the best 44 on the ground.

manutd/dogs

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Manchester United
:think:
Lakey fined $900 for poking a Crown security guard in the nose. He was fined more for not mowing his nature strip last year - $1200

View attachment 1052584
I must say I'm shocked and appalled at Lakey's heartless negligence in regards to his front nature strip. Letting those blades of grass just horridly grow is clearly a window looking onto a cracked and broken soul bereft of any redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Remove this Banner Ad