What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually don’t mind this little whack from Dermie to Bailey on this one. We all need to play hard. But when a player does something special then is the time to both celebrate and acknowledge team mates. But never belittle or humiliate an opponent. You don’t even have to remind them. Let’s be humble winners. He’s a young kid, he’ll learn some humility.
Bailey doesn’t normally engage unless balancing the ledger. We don’t see everything, but good point.

Hey Doggies crew!
I head up production for Dyl Buckley's 'Dyl and Friends', and this week's ep features your very own Caleb Daniel.
Absolute ripping bloke! Hope you enjoy!
Cheers!

Thanks for that, very enjoyable.

CD was great, and the insights into his career and life and our club were fantastic. I especially liked finding out that the mantra at the club is, What next? Whether you do something good, or stuff up, what you do next is more important.

How has he belittled anyone? This stuff happens after pretty every goal in pretty much every game. Ziebell was happy to dish it out, is anyone calling him out for it?
It may not be too serious. But I respect Dermott as much as anyone in football. He was proper tough and much less of a cheap thug that Leigh Mathews was. He was CHF in 5 premierships teams, instant legend! When CHF was THE most important position on the ground. He can be rambling in his commentary but I respect his values and it’s good advice for the kid I reckon.

It may not be too serious. But I respect Dermott as much as anyone in football. He was proper tough and much less of a cheap thug that Leigh Mathews was. He was CHF in 5 premierships teams, instant legend! When CHF was THE most important position on the ground. He can be rambling in his commentary but I respect his values and it’s good advice for the kid I reckon.

Good sides all have a hard intimidating edge. A physical presence and a chip on their shoulder. Unsociable football you might even call it.

I love seeing our boys be aggressive. Sick of polite, solid citizens that are too timid.

You do remember that he stomped on a prone players head, right? I respect his football playing ability, not so sure about his values. Derm can state his opinion but to not reference his own worse indiscretion is laughable.

.... This stuff happens after pretty every goal in pretty much every game. Ziebell was happy to dish it out, is anyone calling him out for it?

There was a melee after Bruce's first goal but none that I noticed or see on replays between that and his last. Every now and then, after a goal, the kicker will 'tell him about it'. Ziebell is captain of his club, playing his 221st game, tough in the Glen Archer rather than the Toby Greene mould, not a dirty player, playing off half back, under a high ball backed into the contest. It's 2 minutes or so left, his club is 122 points down, Smith wasn't in the contest or particularly near it. In the consequent melee were Libber and Macrae. imagine if either lost his head and threw a punch, out for next week's game against Brisbane. Pointless and Stupid. Brereton's a commentator, however he played is irrelevant, he made a good point.

Last edited:
I get where he’s coming from, but it’s a poor take. Based on what happened, I’d be certain that Ziebell was chirping about something and Baz let him know all about it. We’ll probably never know as what happens on the field generally stays on the field, which is fine.

For the Sheppard step-over, in a way it’s huge disrespect but in another, 90% of the sport is played above the shoulders. If that’s going to sting an opponent and give you an advantage, who cares?

It’s a reach to bring mental health into these incidents when they don’t go hand-in-hand. It’s great he can be in his third year and not take a backwards step, which is what players need to do come finals

Problem with the media and this is highlighted by Dermie and his comments on Smith is that there is so much media personnel for a sport that is only played in Australia and then again not by all states.

There is no national team and no other competition other than season proper and finals.

The amount of media covering the sport forces the media such as Dermie to come up with Crap and analyse things that are plainly silly because they have to substantiate their existence.

Walking a tightrope here, bringing up mental health as a put-down. Just when players are starting to feel they can open up about it. Dermie’s a bloody dinosaur. I’m angry.
By chance, I stumbled on Dermie's Open Mike episode last night. At a guess, it was recorded about 10 years ago.

One of the most emotional episodes I've seen. Hearing him speak about how he lost both his dad and brother to suicide, I think he'd be the last person in the world to use mental health as a put down.

May be a very clumsy link that he tried to make, which we all know Dermie does often, but I doubt it was delivered with any malice.

There was a melee after Bruce's first goal but none that I noticed or see on replays between that and his last. Every now and then, after a goal, the kicker will 'tell him about it'. Ziebell is captain of his club, playing his 221st game, tough in the Glen Archer rather than the Toby Greene mould, not a dirty player, playing off half back, under a high ball backed into the contest. It's 2 minutes or so left, his club is 122 points down, Smith wasn't in the contest or particularly near it. In the consequent melee were Libber and Macrae. imagine if either lost his head and threw a punch, out for next week's game against Brisbane. Pointless and Stupid. Brereton's a commentator, however he played is irrelevant, he made a good point.
It was an even up for a contest a couple of minutes before.
Late in the game, nothing happens in a vacuum. I like the fact we have kids who fly the flag for teammates and have a little swagger. If anything it's what we've lacked in recent years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was an even up for a contest a couple of minutes before.
Late in the game, nothing happens in a vacuum. I like the fact we have kids who fly the flag for teammates and have a little swagger. If anything it's what we've lacked in recent years.
I wondered about that, the even up, I mean, the ball was in the forward line most of the quarter and Ziebell was playing off half back. That's no excuse, though, pointless and stupid. He wasn't flying the flag for a team mate, he needlessly started it.

I wondered about that, the even up, I mean, the ball was in the forward line most of the quarter and Ziebell was playing off half back. That's no excuse, though, pointless and stupid. He wasn't flying the flag for a team mate, he needlessly started it.
Bro shut up, we smashed them by 130 points ******* let them know about it as we pile on goal after goal. The likes of Baz, Naughty, Vanders etc are the reason I have no doubt this side is going all the way one day soon. Compared to the pushovers we’ve always been (2016 aside obviously) there’s a killer instinct in this side we have literally never seen before. You think Hawks/Geelong would have won as many as they did with out their smug arrogant campaigner attitudes?

Go Baz, give em hell

I get where he’s coming from, but it’s a poor take. Based on what happened, I’d be certain that Ziebell was chirping about something and Baz let him know all about it. We’ll probably never know as what happens on the field generally stays on the field, which is fine.

For the Sheppard step-over, in a way it’s huge disrespect but in another, 90% of the sport is played above the shoulders. If that’s going to sting an opponent and give you an advantage, who cares?

It’s a reach to bring mental health into these incidents when they don’t go hand-in-hand. It’s great he can be in his third year and not take a backwards step, which is what players need to do come finals

My thoughts exactly re the chirping. I’m sure something had been said to warrant the attention.

I do worry a little about Baz’s walking of the line, but I’d much rather that than the alternative. Libba, Naughton, Vandermeer and Baz have an innate drive to fly the flag. This is where we fell over against GWS a few years back. We need these blokes enforcing in and around the contests.

Bro shut up, we smashed them by 130 points ******* let them know about it as we pile on goal after goal. The likes of Baz, Naughty, Vanders etc are the reason I have no doubt this side is going all the way one day soon. Compared to the pushovers we’ve always been (2016 aside obviously) there’s a killer instinct in this side we have literally never seen before. You think Hawks/Geelong would have won as many as they did with out their smug arrogant campaigner attitudes?

Go Baz, give em hell
The unsociable Bulldogs? Who'd a thunk it?

By chance, I stumbled on Dermie's Open Mike episode last night. At a guess, it was recorded about 10 years ago.

One of the most emotional episodes I've seen. Hearing him speak about how he lost both his dad and brother to suicide, I think he'd be the last person in the world to use mental health as a put down.

May be a very clumsy link that he tried to make, which we all know Dermie does often, but I doubt it was delivered with any malice.
Nevertheless, he and others should be very careful linking mental health issues with onfield performance or behaviour.

Nevertheless, he and others should be very careful linking mental health issues with onfield performance or behaviour.
Exactly this. A player who has mental health issues, struggles with anxiety etc etc can still show aggression on-field and it does not take away from any problems they may be having off it. It's extremly poor form for Dermie to conflate the two and shows a complete lack of understanding.

WRONG!!
Go back to see the video Mitch. Libba was scragged down by 4 Norf players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back