What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A game with a final scoreline of 75-65 is far more enjoyable than a game with a final scoreline of 130-120.
It completely depends on the game. A game with a 54-60 scoreline could be amazing or absolutely terrible. Likewise for a 20 goal apiece score.

Karmichael Hunt could have made an All-Australian squad if he cleaned up his off the field act and dedicated himself to AFL for eight seasons instead of just three. His beginning to the 2012 season was actually very, very good.

All Australian may have been pushing it slightly but his first few seasons in the game were the equal or better of many other code hoppers (Irishmen generally) who went on to have very good careers. He had a lot to work with.

As a league and afl fan he is just frittering his career away playing a code that no one in this country cares about.

I don't think GWS are a super team and have never thought that. There will be multiple clubs over the coming years at least equivalent or better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the actual game is secondary to the key focus which is now progressive social issues

Key focus is, and always will be, making money. There will be some consideration of player safety, enshrining the spirit of the game etc. But the main consideration will always be about growing the revenue from the game.

It's a business, not a sport - like pretty much every other big team game across the world.

Not a fan of condescending round.

We acknowledge.... pat on the head.

Can't tell you the last time I noticed a player based on where he was born or his background or his skin colour....because you know, that would be racist.

I notice all players equally based only on their skills, personality and sometimes, haircut.

Key focus is, and always will be, making money. There will be some consideration of player safety, enshrining the spirit of the game etc. But the main consideration will always be about growing the revenue from the game.

It's a business, not a sport - like pretty much every other big team game across the world.

The sooner people realise this (they really should have worked it out 30 years ago), the better.

Womens football is garbage and the media are too scared to critise it

The expectation that some have for it to be an immediate high-quality product comparable to the men's game, given that it's essentially a form of the game in its infancy, is kind of bizarre.

People's unwillingness to let it go and let it grow (especially if they don't like it) is even more bizarre. What's the negative? Is it really that much of an imposition on your life if it's not you thing? Just ignore it if you're not into it. I mean, who really gives a s**t about footy in February anyway?

The expectation that some have for it to be an immediate high-quality product comparable to the men's game, given that it's essentially a form of the game in its infancy, is kind of bizarre.

People's unwillingness to let it go and let it grow (especially if they don't like it) is even more bizarre. What's the negative? Is it really that much of an imposition on your life if it's not you thing? Just ignore it if you're not into it. I mean, who really gives a s**t about footy in February anyway?

The sport is in its infancy as much as the comp. Women's footy is pretty new, and the idea that it 'deserves' a national comp is silly. It will help grow participation rates, but it's cart before horse stuff. A lot more women play other sports and very few make a living out of it. It's a harsh reality but interest in women's professional sport overall is low.

If it was 'let go' it would fold tomorrow. Everything about the AFLW piggybacks off the success of the men's game. It's definitely unpopular, but most people don't really care about women's footy. WC don't have a women's team but I don't look at Freo and think 'yep they're going well but their women's team came last or they're struggling but their women's team is great'. I follow the AFL, and the AFLW is a separate thing altogether in my view. If it's successful then great, but I don't want to hear about it every 5 minutes.

Womens football is garbage and the media are too scared to critise it

The product isn't really the point.

The more young girls showing interest in AFL the less soccer grows from the grass roots.

Single mums will encourage their boys to play AFL if they think girls can play without getting injured.

If the balance ever shifted where channel 7 started showing soccer on Friday nights and sports news began with soccer, you'd have wished the afl propped up women's football, even if it's a bit of laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back